I love my HTC 8X, except for little things

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
we are discussing HTC aren't we? HTC is infamous for poor after market support regarding software updates for their products. A better question is what YOUR comment adds to the discussion.

You mean the ones about items that are easily fixable? Like rotation lock, notifications, stuff like that? More than just saying perish all hope, ye who enter. HTC is maybe slow to update, but don't blame it all on HTC. Verizon is notoriously slow to update ALL it's platforms. And the changes I suggest would apply to all Windows phones. So hey, if the changes arrive and HTC or Verizon doesn't propagate them, then there is always Nokia, another carrier or both.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too bugged about HTC-specific offerings. All I want is for Microsoft to see where its platform needs to go as opposed to leaving Nokia to do seemingly all the work (for its devices exclusively), and assurance that HTC is going to roll out Microsoft's updates in a timely manner.

D in Sea

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
So you see the old, misspelled names? Or just one of the other names you are linking?

I see whatever name was imported from either my old phone or Facebook. Edits to the name field don't take, though I have noticed that a few of the contacts that I text or call frequently have since changed. Maybe they only update all the way through after you call or text their number. I will have to test that theory. Regardless, it makes no sense to have to call a number for the edit to carry through. Has anyone else had this problem?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I like the 8X accept for the space. Always running out of space. If this phone had 32gb and a MicroSD slot, it would be the perfect phone for me. I am selling this phone becuase I cant take the limits anymore.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Same, I also love my HTC 8X except for memory, I really wish it was 32GB, and I also don't the huge top bezel, I think they could have shortened it ALOT.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I was a big fan of the phone in the beginning, but I'm starting to regret not getting the L920.

(1) bad data connectivity. It has a noticeably shakier data connectivity than my old L800

(2) Poor build quality. The soft touch layer is horrendous. All corners of my phone show the plastic housing underneath now, because the coating came off. Not because of drops by the way.

(3) Nokia has much better support & first party apps.

Luinwethion

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the phone, but there are somethings I just hate about this phone (or about WP8 as OS).

>16GB... Okay, okay, I knew it before I decided to buy this phone, but I have less free storage over thank with my old Galaxy Nexus.

>Sound problem when playing videos, for God sake HTC, people have this problem since December, can't you fix a simple problem?

>No AF assist light with the built-in camera app.

>WP8 don't have different volumes control for Media and Notifications

>WP8 Plays alarms and notifications sound LOUD while I'm making a call

>Internet Explorer, text reflow? back to previous page? Syncing? Save passwords and usernames?

>Can't tap the music progress bar for going forward or back

>Xbox Music, it screws my mp3 tags, splits albums, etc..

>Gapless playback?

>Notifications? Lockscreen notifications? Only a few apps... And every email account is seen as an app.

>Search button... Why no global search? When I'm in the music app, I want to hit the search button and go to search a music... for now, it's useless

>Back button: 2 examples... nr1: I'm browsing, just clicking around wpcentraal, then I want to send a SMS or make a call... I hit the start button, do what I want, and they I go back to Explorer... And I want to go back one page, I hit the back button, right? Well, it'll take me to the start screen!

nr2: I'm playing a song, let's say on Spotify, I select a playlist, and from this playlist I choose a song, then I see the playing now, I want to choose another song, I just hit back and I'm back to the playlist, I choose another song and then I go to the start screen... Well, if I re-open spotify I see the playing now, but I want to choose another song from the same playlist, I would like to just hit back and go to the playlist, but NO, back button will take me to the start screen again...

Well, and you would say, the back button work's always like that, but no, the Facebook applications (it's developed by Microsoft) doesn't work like that, if I open Facebook, go to notifications, and select a notification when I close Facebook and reopen it, by hitting back, it won't take me to the start screen, but it will take me to the notifications screen of Facebook.

>Yes the built quality... I also have the problem with the coating coming off.

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I like this phone a lot. The corners are getting a little dark but that's really my only gripe. I really do like the display, camera, weight, curved glass, sound quality, and ear piece - no dust stuck in there.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I am a fan of the HTC 8X but still find WP8 really lagging behind iPhone and especially the newer Droids. I have the luxury of having a phone provided by work and chose the Samsung G3 around the same time I purchased my WP8 for personal use. I’ve had both for about 6 months now. I find myself using the G3 more and more. I know more apps are coming to WP8 but is has been slow imo. Below is my short laundry list.

1) I still can’t create playlist via the phone itself. Connecting to WP8 on my laptop seems archaic. My G3 works as a truly independent platoform;
2) Shazaam and SoundHound don’t identify songs as well as they do on my Droid;
3) And when they do, they are often not in the MS music store. I am able to use both the google play and amazon mp3 stores on the G3;
4) Could not use blue tooth in my car for 4 months until I received an update. All my droids worked out of the box with any car;
5) I often use my tablet or the G3 to supplement the 8X

As it stands now, I am not able to upgrade either of my phones until next year so I’m willing to be a bit more patient. The UI is cool and easy to use, but if the 8X and WP8 don’t make significant advancements by Christmas time, I’ll be leaving the platform for good.

DannyBiker

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Quick question : I just bought a 8x for 279 € and would like to know if the lack of updates also means that it might not be updated with future WP8 updates ?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Quick question : I just bought a 8x for 279 ? and would like to know if the lack of updates also means that it might not be updated with future WP8 updates ?

Updates are given through htc and are also determined by carrier. I have received all of my updates, but we may have different carriers. For instance, T-Mobile decided that they won't update the Lumia 810 anymore, but another carrier might. So, if your 8x is a Verizon, for example, but Verizon chooses not to push the updates to your phone than you won't be able to get it through them. There are other methods for updating your phone without the carrier, but I'm not sure the exact steps to take.

DannyBiker

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you anyway...
I could be more specific and asks if major WP8 updates will be pushed no matter what by HTC because Microsoft requires them to do so...

I kinda dropped the WP news a few months back so I don't know if any major WP8 update is planned beyond Portico in 2013...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs