My 920 crashed and wouldn't restart...

mightyspur

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to think that this is a common problem after reading a few threads on here (although the symptoms aren't identical to anything I've read), but I mean in general with the phone crashing and then refusing to turn on. It's really starting to affect my confidence in the phone and I wonder if Nokia are working on getting it solved. I have the black 920.

When I first got the phone I thought the battery was fairly poor. It was running out of juice with very little use during the day by early evening when suddenly after owning it for 3 weeks it started holding it's charge a LOT better. To the point it was around 75/80% by the end of the day. Not something I was going to complain about as I thought a recent update had fixed some issues. However, one day I was using my phone and I pressed the search button like I had done a 100 times before and it suddenly crashed my phone. No biggy I thought. It was the first time the phone had crashed (I'd had it for about 30 days). However it quite simply refused to start up. It hung on the NOKIA logo screen for about 10 minutes before just shutting down completely. It behaved as if there was absolutely zero charge in the battery, which was odd because when it had crashed it was showing as around the 70% mark. I plugged it in and the phone remained dead. After about 20 minutes I could see a very faint glow coming from the screen and the phone felt warm around the base. I tried to reset it and the phone suddenly sprang into life with the start up screen of my provider (THREE) but then immediately switched to an image of an empty battery icon and a flashing plug. Nothing would start it back up, so I had it replaced.

Last night I was chatting to my wife on the phone and suddenly the call drops. I went to call her back, but again noticed my phone had completely died. I couldn't believe it! I tried a number of combinations to do a reset and that didn't work, so I plugged it in to charge and waited a while before doing a soft reset, and that worked, which was a relief. The phone restarted this time (albeit with an incorrect date), but my data was all intact and I can use my phone again.

It seems a lot of people are experiencing these problems with their phones effectively crashing and refusing to restart unless trying a soft/hard reset or getting a replacement? How is this acceptable? Does anyone know if NOKIA are investigating these issues. I have no confidence in this phone and twice now I have been away from home and isolated without a phone because it's crashed and won't switch back on.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Stories like this make me nervous about switching from my Lumia 810 to a 920 (which I'm about to do as I just ordered a black Rogers unlocked one yesterday). My 810 crashed last week and I wasn't able to reboot it normally; this has happened before, but it always rebooted fine. This time, it just sat on the Nokia logo and I ended up having to do a battery pull. I hear you on the date/time being reset after crashes. It's happened on my 810 a few times and is quite annoying. I do realize that the battery drains somewhat after a crash (my 810 last week went from 100% to 94% after the crash), but it's unacceptable that your 920 would go from around 70% to dead in a matter of minutes! I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

mightyspur

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I just can't believe that pretty much the same thing has happened to me with 2 separate phones and there are rather a lot of threads about talking about how the 920 is "bricked", with theories on it being certain apps or the firmware. I really want this phone to perform as I took the step away from Apple, but if it goes "bang" again I can see myself switching back to my old unlocked iPhone4 with the cracked screen.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well I haven't had any similar issues with my white 920 the portico and the firmware updates all went as scheduled without issue and I downloaded the 7.8 for the 900 and it went flawlessly as well. Sorry for your problems.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to think that this is a common problem after reading a few threads on here (although the symptoms aren't identical to anything I've read), but I mean in general with the phone crashing and then refusing to turn on. It's really starting to affect my confidence in the phone and I wonder if Nokia are working on getting it solved. I have the black 920.

When I first got the phone I thought the battery was fairly poor. It was running out of juice with very little use during the day by early evening when suddenly after owning it for 3 weeks it started holding it's charge a LOT better. To the point it was around 75/80% by the end of the day. Not something I was going to complain about as I thought a recent update had fixed some issues. However, one day I was using my phone and I pressed the search button like I had done a 100 times before and it suddenly crashed my phone. No biggy I thought. It was the first time the phone had crashed (I'd had it for about 30 days). However it quite simply refused to start up. It hung on the NOKIA logo screen for about 10 minutes before just shutting down completely. It behaved as if there was absolutely zero charge in the battery, which was odd because when it had crashed it was showing as around the 70% mark. I plugged it in and the phone remained dead. After about 20 minutes I could see a very faint glow coming from the screen and the phone felt warm around the base. I tried to reset it and the phone suddenly sprang into life with the start up screen of my provider (THREE) but then immediately switched to an image of an empty battery icon and a flashing plug. Nothing would start it back up, so I had it replaced.

Last night I was chatting to my wife on the phone and suddenly the call drops. I went to call her back, but again noticed my phone had completely died. I couldn't believe it! I tried a number of combinations to do a reset and that didn't work, so I plugged it in to charge and waited a while before doing a soft reset, and that worked, which was a relief. The phone restarted this time (albeit with an incorrect date), but my data was all intact and I can use my phone again.

It seems a lot of people are experiencing these problems with their phones effectively crashing and refusing to restart unless trying a soft/hard reset or getting a replacement? How is this acceptable? Does anyone know if NOKIA are investigating these issues. I have no confidence in this phone and twice now I have been away from home and isolated without a phone because it's crashed and won't switch back on.

This happens to me on a weekly basis, I think it's the battery getting lose or some kind of hardware failure because nothing can make the phone drain that quickly that when I'm calling someone suddenly the phone will completely lose its charge from 40%

mightyspur

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
This happens to me on a weekly basis, I think it's the battery getting lose or some kind of hardware failure because nothing can make the phone drain that quickly that when I'm calling someone suddenly the phone will completely lose its charge from 40%

I really hope it isn't hardware failure because to get 2 in a row would point towards a serious flaw in the manufacturing process. If it's firmware/app related at least a fix can be provided.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
The battery reporting in WP8 is very poor. It sounds to me that you ran the battery down to dead two times due to incorrect reporting of battery level by WP8. I do a soft reset every couple days to keep the battery level current.

mightyspur

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
The battery reporting in WP8 is very poor. It sounds to me that you ran the battery down to dead two times due to incorrect reporting of battery level by WP8. I do a soft reset every couple days to keep the battery level current.

Perhaps for the 2nd time as after the soft reset the battery was stating 8% or something, but certainly not with the 1st instance. Nothing would get it restarted and I left it to charge for several hours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos