I have been looking into the performance of the Lumia 820 since the last update and here are my findings-

The general performance in terms of battery without WiFi or data switched on is better. If you switch data on the battery life drops off as much as it did with the previous versions of firmware. What I have found when I switch WiFi on (no data) the battery performance has got worse.

Anybody else had this experience?
    05-02-2013 11:56 AM
    Personally I've not noticed any difference. Average before, average after.
    05-02-2013 04:21 PM
    I didn't notice any difference.....it's still not the best.
    There are days with up to 19 hrs aaaaand there are days with 6-8 hrs of battery life…..depending on the usage of whatsapp ;-)
    05-03-2013 01:13 AM
    Not much difference. But I notice less heat and the standby time is better. I mean if previously my phone would be dead when I woke up, now it still has some battery left when I wake up. However during the day, the longevity of the battery is same depending on how much I use the Internet and Whatsapp.
    I monitor my battery using the Battery Sense app. It said the average battery life is around 9 hours.
    05-03-2013 10:32 PM
    its has slightly got better ...
    with battery saver from the full battery to dead it took 2 days 16 hrs
    with normal mode without any type of connection it lasted 1 day 13 hrs
    with Wifi enabled all the time "this is my daily use" it lasts around 14 hrs
    with 3g on all the time the battery lasts 8-12 hrs depending on the quality of signal, because the phone keeps switching between E, H and H+ trying to find best speed

these numbers are made with the 1308 update .... before that the it was slightly less time with wifi and 3g ... nothing major
    05-04-2013 06:26 AM
    I'm not sure if it was the update but I've definitely noticed a decrease in my battery life recently, I've had the phone for a month and it used to last well over a day when on battery saver now it lasts 9 hours (8 if i turn it off) turning off wifi and 3g seems to have no affect on it.
    05-06-2013 01:58 AM
    I have done a bit more research and it looks like the Wifi is the one that is the issue. If you don't use Wifi then the battery does last about 10% longer than it did before 1308 but put Wifi on and it drains it a lot. My primary router is mode "N" Wifi not using the 40 MHz version so maximum speed is 150 Mbps.

Still interested in other people's experience.
    05-06-2013 11:04 AM
    Here is an update on my findings so far. As I posted before I have been doing a lot of work at looking at battery drain and here is what I have found so far. If you don't have data or Wifi switched on then the battery does last quite well. If you switch just data (3G in my case currently) on then it does start to drain the battery a reasonable amount. If you only switch Wifi (I have an "N" mode router as I mentioned before) on then it seems to drain it dramatically - I have seen drain as bad as 7% in 20 minutes without using any communications apps.
    05-10-2013 04:55 AM
    I have not noticed any difference to be fair. But I do get occasional massive battery drains with no apparent reason. Say I go to bed with around 80 % charge and wake up only to find out I have got around 20% left. I blame my carrier partly Three UK given that on some occasions I get very low signal or no signal at all. And connection fluctuate like crazy from 3G to H+
    05-10-2013 08:42 AM
    Also I have been experimenting with location settings recently. I have noticed that on numerous occasions my phone engaged GPS sensor with no reason whatsoever. It really bugged me since I couldn't work out what apps utilised the sensor. Things like find my phone, local scout, etc. were turned off. So I pined a shortcut to the location switch and only turn it on when needed. I don't see any random notifications about utilisation of the sensor and my battery life improved by around 10-15%. I have always wondered why apps like dictionary or flashlight ask you for your permission to share location when installed from the marketplace. Anyone knows of an app that would let you see what app uses your location?
    05-10-2013 01:19 PM
    Am I the only one who's battery is much better and long lasting after the update?

PS I do casual web browsing,whatsapp and sometimes games like cut the rope,angry birds etc,location services always on and mobile network on 2g (when I'm out) and WiFi at home..
    05-10-2013 01:36 PM
    Am I the only one who's battery is much better and long lasting after the update?

PS I do casual web browsing,whatsapp and sometimes games like cut the rope,angry birds etc,location services always on and mobile network on 2g (when I'm out) and WiFi at home..
    3G kills your battery in an instant, especially if you are in the area with bad signal. Hence a good battery life. I reckon if you keep your phone in 2G it nearly doubles.
    05-10-2013 03:46 PM
    3G kills your battery in an instant, especially if you are in the area with bad signal. Hence a good battery life. I reckon if you keep your phone in 2G it nearly doubles.
    well that's true,phone on 3g doesn't last one day at all,has anyone tried mugen batteries for Lumia 820? Especially 1800mAh one? Any significant difference?
    05-10-2013 11:51 PM
    Further to my previous posts I have been doing more work on looking at battery usage. For the last couple of days I have just been using my phone as basically a phone. I haven't used any data or Wifi but have SMS'd a few people and had a few phone calls - total about 90 mins. Since the battery was charged last (1 day 8 hours and 26 minutes ago) the battery is still showing 62% available. This is with network set as 3G but no data switched on. This to me is not bad at all
    05-12-2013 11:17 AM
    I keep noticing funny dranages with the battery. Its sucks because you never know what you end up with in the morning.

Its strange but it seems if I keep my Data (2g) on overnight it drains less.

Somehow it even drains battery in airplane mode.
    My free battery app quite frankly seems to be unable to give good info. Charged the phone yesterday afternoon to 100%, this morning I was at 27%. The battery showed me I charged it to 100% two days ago and the drain from 100% to 27% happened ghradually over the last two days. Which is not true. Yesterday evening it showed me the true stat witzh charge in the afternoon and a 50% drop to late evening.

Any good battery apps for free around?
    05-16-2013 03:19 AM
    The battery app I use is "Battery Status". It seems to be one of the better ones that is around. It still has the odd moment though. How many apps are there running in background on your phone as I have cut mine down to about 5.
    05-17-2013 05:20 AM
    Not one background task running nor any apps not closed via back button.
    I checked my mail settings yesterday and realized after the last major OS update it had set back some of my options and both my mail accounts were synced constantly. Switched them to manual it seems to have gotten a bit better.

Sometimes the battery just behaves wonky. I play Angry birds for 20 minutes, check he battery, only 3 percent missing. I put the phone away check back after another twenty andwhile doing nothing 15% gone. All of a sudden.

Extreme battery lag?
    05-17-2013 06:19 AM