05-24-2014 08:31 AM
178 12345 ...
tools
    Well I got the white one, I cant weigh it up, they look like OEM but I am not sure and here is why.

Followed the video, very good thank you for that, the hardest part was getting the old black case off, it was starting to do my head in. My headphone port was actually attached to the phone not the case, weird but saved me a job. The coil came off without too much bother, aligned it on the new case and stuck it down, then the usb part and I was ready to put the phone back together, this is where the problem started.

I pushed it back together but had a large bulge down the left, it would just not go in properly, I fiddled and pressed but nothing, then a small shard of my new white case snapped off!!!!!

By now I was literally about ready to cry, I figured out what was wrong, the black strips on the inside where the phone would slide in where damaged, the little guide rails where the lugs on the phone slide into where squished, hence stopping the phone fitting in.

I had to take the black strips from my old black case, maybe they are OEM but some sort of rejects or faulty ones, or maybe I was just unlucky, also surprised that is chipped. Anyway did not work out for me.
    05-29-2013 03:12 AM
    If you are changing the color, then you might have to change the firmware also. Every color has a different firmware
    05-29-2013 03:27 AM
    Just finished by Red to Gray conversion! I was pretty terrified attempting this, but everything worked out perfectly. The hardest parts for me were getting the housing off (it was pretty tight) and removing the piece that holds the USB in at the bottom. Headphone jack and Charging coil were tough, but just keep heating it and use like a plastic knife and they'll come off pretty easy.

All told I prob spent 20-30 minutes doing this, which felt like an eternity, but I'm now the happy owner of a Gray Lumia 920. Definitely recommend trying this if you're curious, just take your time and know what to expect. Good luck! :)

picture002.jpgv__61d1.jpgv__afaf.jpgv__7fcc.jpg
    05-29-2013 12:19 PM
    I ordered a blue housing from 5bestcell even though it isn't matte. To be honest I like the glossy. My buddy has a red 920 and I think it looks great.

I'm going to have a good cell repair place do the install however. They have worked with Lumias and I'm pretty sure I would **** up.
    05-29-2013 04:35 PM
    All told I prob spent 20-30 minutes doing this, which felt like an eternity, but I'm now the happy owner of a Gray Lumia 920. Definitely recommend trying this if you're curious, just take your time and know what to expect. Good luck
    Awesome. Where did you order your grey case from? I can't seem to find any on eBay.
    05-29-2013 10:24 PM
    SchueyF1, Let us know what that case is like. I messaged the seller and he assured me it was the genuine Nokia cyan housing. I replaced my black 920 housing with the red - looks gorgeous and the only problem I had was forgetting about tucking the top right corder of the wireless charging coil under the bit below the camera flash so initally it didn't charge so had to take it apart again. I fully expected to break it and have to buy a new phone :-)
    05-30-2013 06:01 AM
    SchueyF1, Let us know what that case is like. I messaged the seller and he assured me it was the genuine Nokia cyan housing. I replaced my black 920 housing with the red - looks gorgeous and the only problem I had was forgetting about tucking the top right corder of the wireless charging coil under the bit below the camera flash so initally it didn't charge so had to take it apart again. I fully expected to break it and have to buy a new phone :-)
    Will do. Hard to say what genuine means, since it is glossy and not matte like the actual cyan 920s. As long as the quality is good that's what I care about. How have people's housings been holding up?
    05-30-2013 09:18 AM
    I ordered a blue housing from 5bestcell even though it isn't matte. To be honest I like the glossy. My buddy has a red 920 and I think it looks great.

I'm going to have a good cell repair place do the install however. They have worked with Lumias and I'm pretty sure I would **** up.
    What place is this that will do it?
    05-30-2013 03:17 PM
    What place is this that will do it?
    iPhix in Eau Claire. They said they have worked with Lumia's before. Not sure if that includes the 920 though.
    05-30-2013 03:37 PM
    iPhix in Eau Claire. They said they have worked with Lumia's before. Not sure if that includes the 920 though.
    Cool, curious to see how it works out.
    05-30-2013 03:50 PM
    Cool, curious to see how it works out.
    Me too. Hope it goes ok and the blue looks good. Wish I would have waited originally to get a red or something. Stupid Rogers.
    05-30-2013 03:52 PM
    got the yellow case today. very excited and found some time in the evening to do the job. Everything went fine and anticipating some difficulties with the glued pieces was good to know. But the shock came when I had everything together and tried to insert the SIM card. It didn't fit! I tried the black one from old case it didn't fit either. The opening in the new case is too small. Not just length wise but also in width. The difference is substantial that one can actually see the SIM tray with an overlap. I measured the size of the opening on the old black and new yellow:
    • old black: 5.1mm wide, 22.6mm long
    • new yellow: 4.5mm wide, 22mm long

so it's an even 0.6mm "narrower" than the opening on old black case. The SIM card trays fit perfectly fine in the old black case. Of course the SIM card is not recognized in the not fully inserted tray :(
    Are there Lumia 920s with different size SIM tray? Is it possible to obtain a smaller SIM tray then? Never heard of it....
    Now switching back and hoping to get a replacement. So before you try this, make sure the SIM tray fits into the new case. Nightmare.....

ok, 5_bestcell responded very soon after I contacted him and confirmed that there are two different sizes. He is shipping the correct SIM tray.

Also, as others have experienced, I noticed a small bulge on the top left side of the phone and it was hard to get the case around the phone at that point. Apparently the insert in the case at that point is slightly bigger or warped and the case bulges around that. I was able to carefully pry the piece out and replace it with the one from my old black case. Now the bulge is gone and phone case fits perfectly. Overall it looks like a new phone. Just waiting for the correct SIM tray now.
    The new case has no creaking like the old black one had, specifically at the top right. Case feels rock solid.

img_1985-1024x768-.jpgimg_1990-1024x768-.jpg
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 05-31-2013 at 01:43 AM.
    05-30-2013 10:58 PM
    Awesome. Where did you order your grey case from? I can't seem to find any on eBay.
    hey I had a hard time finding them as well. I sorta had to splurge and ordered it from a seller in Spain. They have an eBay page but also a website - eurosatonline

I was afraid it would be a fake, but I can totally vouch for it. Definitely an OEM housing and the parts were shipped and arrived to NYC in less than a week! More than I wanted to pay but gray seems to be hard to come by
    vtective likes this.
    05-31-2013 12:31 AM
    I ordered a second red housing from 5bestcell which I received today. It obviously wasn't brand new and had debris behind the protective film, the lens was dirty and the black shiny material around the lens on the inside had been partially peeled away. The seller agreed to a refund but I'm 3.50 down on the deal because I had to pay for return shipping :-( Maybe he will offer to refund this?

The housing I ordered on eBay from mobiles4life2010 in the UK was perfect and worth the extra money.
    05-31-2013 11:23 AM
    I ordered a second red housing from 5bestcell which I received today. It obviously wasn't brand new and had debris behind the protective film, the lens was dirty and the black shiny material around the lens on the inside had been partially peeled away. The seller agreed to a refund but I'm 3.50 down on the deal because I had to pay for return shipping :-( Maybe he will offer to refund this?

The housing I ordered on eBay from mobiles4life2010 in the UK was perfect and worth the extra money.
    Gah, I hope I don't have this issue with the one I ordered.
    05-31-2013 11:27 AM
    Also from pictures in this thread the original cases seem to have a black strip along the right side with the replacements don't have (except that grey one). What is it and is it necessary?
    05-31-2013 11:41 AM
    Crack now appeared from power button. These are not OEM
    05-31-2013 04:42 PM
    Crack now appeared from power button. These are not OEM
    Who did you order from?
    05-31-2013 04:56 PM
    5bestcell has already refunded me, excellent customer service.
    Paul May likes this.
    05-31-2013 05:11 PM
    5bestcell has already refunded me, excellent customer service.
    I might send mine back when I get it and order from mobiles4life or 2buya. There's look slightly different. How does your red one seem compared to the other one aside from the sim card issue?
    05-31-2013 05:57 PM
    My red case from 5bestcell was a mess too. The plastic on one of the antennas was bent, the plastic strip holding the side buttons was out of shape slightly which caused it to snap when I put the phone in and the camera lens kept slipping out. Getting a refund off him.
    06-01-2013 01:56 AM
    I just had this same issue with the sim tray not fitting, I was able to use an emery board/nail file to get it to fit properly. I still emailed the seller to let him know.

Edit: seller is sending out the correct sim tray for me. Very fast resolution to the problem.
    Last edited by Paul May; 06-02-2013 at 12:42 PM.
    06-01-2013 06:26 PM
    I received a cyan ( gloss ) from ebay. It's absolutely fine except a crack. looks like that was done in transit though. Seller is sending another
    Also has a yellow from ebay for a month now and it hasn't had any problems

I'm a bit surprised anyone thought these were OEM and not copies. These are a more rigid plastic than the OEM ploycarbs. Ultimately they feel and look the same but I would say they would be more likely to crack if dropped rather than dent.

If it's around $20 - $30.... it's not Nokia made... just saying
    06-02-2013 03:57 AM
    I'm a bit surprised anyone thought these were OEM and not copies. These are a more rigid plastic than the OEM ploycarbs. Ultimately they feel and look the same but I would say they would be more likely to crack if dropped rather than dent.

If it's around $20 - $30.... it's not Nokia made... just saying
    what makes you think these are not made of PC? PC is a rigid plastic. Looking at the inside molding pattern somebody must have received a perfect mold to imitate the original (or spent some serious time to copy it). Furthermore, the camera part on the back says Nokia|Carl Zeiss. If you are correct then these are counterfeits (and somebody may get in trouble). Some posts here indicate that they've received the case without the Nokia name.
    I personally thought these are originals, just discarded originals (maybe sorted out the best ones from a bad batch) that somebody is selling.
    my two cents
    Last edited by Derausgewanderte; 06-02-2013 at 04:59 PM.
    06-02-2013 03:29 PM
    I just had this same issue with the sim tray not fitting, I was able to use an emery board/nail file to get it to fit properly. I still emailed the seller to let him know.

Edit: seller is sending out the correct sim tray for me. Very fast resolution to the problem.
    yep, did mine too. Didn't want to go back to black and wait a week until seller ships correct SIM tray. Used fine sandpaper to trim it down.
    img_1991-320x292-.jpg
    Paul May likes this.
    06-02-2013 03:36 PM
178 12345 ...