Lumia 920 black to yellow conversion (album)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Looks great.

Mind posting where you got the housing from? I too, have been looking to do something like this.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Very nice. Its too bad since they are offering the cases they do not offer some really custom colors. I think I'd trade in my StormTrooper if I could get a shell in gunmetal.

Lemmiwinkles

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Very nice. Its too bad since they are offering the cases they do not offer some really custom colors. I think I'd trade in my StormTrooper if I could get a shell in gunmetal.

It was reassuring that they weren't, because it would have meant a much higher chance of not being OEM. I've had my fair share of non-OEM housings for iPhones and they were absolutely terrible in fit and quality. I think if anyone wants a custom colour they should buy a black/grey one and take it to a car-painter. I paint cars for a living and will probably have a Ford Focus ST green one in the next few months using a spare black. The matte texture is a good foundation for primer.

Blocks9

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
would love to try this out, but am afraid Id balls it up, and be left with a faulty phone :(
Have the black 920, and if i had the courage would give the red a go... and at ?22, its a steal!

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
would love to try this out, but am afraid Id balls it up, and be left with a faulty phone :(
Have the black 920, and if i had the courage would give the red a go... and at ?22, its a steal!

Yeah me too. Maybe I could take it to a cell repair place and they could do it?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have to change my screen as well. I should probably definitely do this one time.

Oh decisions. lol. If i go a polycarbonate color, I'll definitely have to get matching cc-1043 case to go with it. hmmmmm
Bit concerned about the durability of the case though. OP how long ago did you do this?

Does the paint on this one maybe chip /flake easily? U know how knockoffs can be sometimes. Would hate to change it and notice it chipping away and have to go back to the matte black -_-

I know the original can get scratches on it. Does this one scratch...well... more? :/

Edit. What do you know. This seller has the screen for the cheapest I've seen it yet, $110.usd.

Boy oh boy is this tempting. *twitches*

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Yup, its possible. But doing this would almost certainly void the warranty.

If you're in Australia, call up nokia and ask them to do it for you. You ship the phone to them, they'll change the back for you and send it back (along with the old back).
Costs $118 including shipping, which is alright given that it'll definitely be 100% genuine and won't void warranty. Also you could probably get cyan i'd imagine.

Also interesting to see "carl zeiss logo with a small tessar" written on the back on that ceramic bit, i thought everybody got the "Nokia logo with a small carl zeiss" one that we get there.\

Btw: congrats to OP, amazing job!!!

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Is the procedure difficult? How long did it take for you to assemble everything? Very tempted to get a white one to change my black L920~

Lemmiwinkles

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Bit concerned about the durability of the case though. OP how long ago did you do this?

Does the paint on this one maybe chip /flake easily? U know how knockoffs can be sometimes. Would hate to change it and notice it chipping away and have to go back to the matte black -_-

I know the original can get scratches on it. Does this one scratch...well... more? :/

I did this 24 hours ago. It's poly-carbonate and identical to the original shell (most likely OEM). It is not painted, the yellow runs completely through the plastic. Chipping the phone would only reveal more yellow underneath.

I'm not overly concerned about scratches when a replacement is ?22 ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb