Lumia 920 black to yellow conversion (album)

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
High five Martin! This video rocks, thanks! I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Edit: Mods, this should totally be stickied. Super handy :)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just did this today. My shell came with 2 broken plastic bits on the inside that hold the button in place which was a shame. I managed to salvage the original ones from the Black cover, so it still worked out.

The Yellow case wasn't as snug a fit as the original black one with it having a minor creak on the top left corner.

It took me around an hour. Most of that time was spent with the hair dryer and maybe 10 minutes on removing the shell because it's pretty stiff the fist time it comes off.

Did you purchase from the same seller?

jackbrennan

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Did you purchase from the same seller?
Yea it was from the same seller.

I fixed up the creaking with a bit of doublesided tape in the corner. It was only very faint, but it was there :). Obviously I was a little bit unlucky with mine, but it still worked out.

I wasn't a fan of the blue plastic tool they sent along. You're better off with a plastic food knife. Otherwise the rest of the tools did a perfect job. Definately worth $35USD. I could have complained about the broken plastic rod, but it would have taken more time than it was worth. Fast shipping and a nice price is good enough for me seeing as the outcome was a Yellow Lumia 920!

It was a pretty fun experience as well.

I used this video for the disassembly: youtube.com/watch?v=cKd8tCAH-eY

in combination with the one above I'd say anyone is set to give it a shot.

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Think I may pick one up, but have a local repair shop do it. I'm pretty sure I would **** it up.

edit: I see the 5_bestsell on ebay has the cyan housing. Looks glossy or is it just me? Anyone get it?

Last edited:

grunge03

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I just did my black to yellow conversion and it wasn't like what I was expected.
First, my audio jack was not glued but like the tear down video, just tapped.

Secondly, after putting everything back, I noticed the plastic that hold the buttons was completely messy !
There was glue everywhere on it and not well placed.
WP_20130525_002.jpg

Finally, after removing all the glue (almost 1 hour), I took this piece from my black cover.

If I knew, I'm not sure I would have done the conversion... but I get a yellow lumia and that's rewarding :)

peter14f

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Received the yellow one on Monday. But after I popped my phone in, the power button is very lose and the camera button doesn't work. I found some plastic pieces inside to be cracked as mentioned in post #40.

Contacted the seller 5_bestcell and he has agreed to ship me another one.

Last edited:

agolding

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
changed mine today, the housing definitely isnt OEM, I ended up using the button strip from my original housing and one of the antennas as without these the housing didnt fit completely flush, also make sure you switch the LED round before putting it together :).

At the end it looks really good, cant really tell the difference once its together, just isnt quite aswell done internally.

saw the cyan one is on ebay but looks glossy, pity,

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

dannylong

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Well I got the white one, I cant weigh it up, they look like OEM but I am not sure and here is why.

Followed the video, very good thank you for that, the hardest part was getting the old black case off, it was starting to do my head in. My headphone port was actually attached to the phone not the case, weird but saved me a job. The coil came off without too much bother, aligned it on the new case and stuck it down, then the usb part and I was ready to put the phone back together, this is where the problem started.

I pushed it back together but had a large bulge down the left, it would just not go in properly, I fiddled and pressed but nothing, then a small shard of my new white case snapped off!!!!!

By now I was literally about ready to cry, I figured out what was wrong, the black strips on the inside where the phone would slide in where damaged, the little guide rails where the lugs on the phone slide into where squished, hence stopping the phone fitting in.

I had to take the black strips from my old black case, maybe they are OEM but some sort of rejects or faulty ones, or maybe I was just unlucky, also surprised that is chipped. Anyway did not work out for me.

mcphersc

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Just finished by Red to Gray conversion! I was pretty terrified attempting this, but everything worked out perfectly. The hardest parts for me were getting the housing off (it was pretty tight) and removing the piece that holds the USB in at the bottom. Headphone jack and Charging coil were tough, but just keep heating it and use like a plastic knife and they'll come off pretty easy.

All told I prob spent 20-30 minutes doing this, which felt like an eternity, but I'm now the happy owner of a Gray Lumia 920. Definitely recommend trying this if you're curious, just take your time and know what to expect. Good luck! :)

picture002.jpgV__61D1.jpgV__AFAF.jpgV__7FCC.jpg

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a blue housing from 5bestcell even though it isn't matte. To be honest I like the glossy. My buddy has a red 920 and I think it looks great.

I'm going to have a good cell repair place do the install however. They have worked with Lumias and I'm pretty sure I would **** up.

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
All told I prob spent 20-30 minutes doing this, which felt like an eternity, but I'm now the happy owner of a Gray Lumia 920. Definitely recommend trying this if you're curious, just take your time and know what to expect. Good luck

Awesome. Where did you order your grey case from? I can't seem to find any on eBay.

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
SchueyF1, Let us know what that case is like. I messaged the seller and he assured me it was the genuine Nokia cyan housing. I replaced my black 920 housing with the red - looks gorgeous and the only problem I had was forgetting about tucking the top right corder of the wireless charging coil under the bit below the camera flash so initally it didn't charge so had to take it apart again. I fully expected to break it and have to buy a new phone :)

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
SchueyF1, Let us know what that case is like. I messaged the seller and he assured me it was the genuine Nokia cyan housing. I replaced my black 920 housing with the red - looks gorgeous and the only problem I had was forgetting about tucking the top right corder of the wireless charging coil under the bit below the camera flash so initally it didn't charge so had to take it apart again. I fully expected to break it and have to buy a new phone :)

Will do. Hard to say what genuine means, since it is glossy and not matte like the actual cyan 920s. As long as the quality is good that's what I care about. How have people's housings been holding up?

xZeDgEx

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a blue housing from 5bestcell even though it isn't matte. To be honest I like the glossy. My buddy has a red 920 and I think it looks great.

I'm going to have a good cell repair place do the install however. They have worked with Lumias and I'm pretty sure I would **** up.
What place is this that will do it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz