Lumia 920 black to yellow conversion (album)

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
got the yellow case today. very excited and found some time in the evening to do the job. Everything went fine and anticipating some difficulties with the glued pieces was good to know. But the shock came when I had everything together and tried to insert the SIM card. It didn't fit! I tried the black one from old case it didn't fit either. The opening in the new case is too small. Not just length wise but also in width. The difference is substantial that one can actually see the SIM tray with an overlap. I measured the size of the opening on the old black and new yellow:
  • old black: 5.1mm wide, 22.6mm long
  • new yellow: 4.5mm wide, 22mm long
so it's an even 0.6mm "narrower" than the opening on old black case. The SIM card trays fit perfectly fine in the old black case. Of course the SIM card is not recognized in the not fully inserted tray :(
Are there Lumia 920s with different size SIM tray? Is it possible to obtain a smaller SIM tray then? Never heard of it....
Now switching back and hoping to get a replacement. So before you try this, make sure the SIM tray fits into the new case. Nightmare.....

ok, 5_bestcell responded very soon after I contacted him and confirmed that there are two different sizes. He is shipping the correct SIM tray.

Also, as others have experienced, I noticed a small bulge on the top left side of the phone and it was hard to get the case around the phone at that point. Apparently the insert in the case at that point is slightly bigger or warped and the case bulges around that. I was able to carefully pry the piece out and replace it with the one from my old black case. Now the bulge is gone and phone case fits perfectly. Overall it looks like a new phone. Just waiting for the correct SIM tray now.
The new case has no creaking like the old black one had, specifically at the top right. Case feels rock solid.

IMG_1985 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1990 (1024x768).jpg

Last edited:

mcphersc

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Awesome. Where did you order your grey case from? I can't seem to find any on eBay.

hey I had a hard time finding them as well. I sorta had to splurge and ordered it from a seller in Spain. They have an eBay page but also a website - eurosatonline

I was afraid it would be a fake, but I can totally vouch for it. Definitely an OEM housing and the parts were shipped and arrived to NYC in less than a week! More than I wanted to pay but gray seems to be hard to come by

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I ordered a second red housing from 5bestcell which I received today. It obviously wasn't brand new and had debris behind the protective film, the lens was dirty and the black shiny material around the lens on the inside had been partially peeled away. The seller agreed to a refund but I'm ?3.50 down on the deal because I had to pay for return shipping :-( Maybe he will offer to refund this?

The housing I ordered on eBay from mobiles4life2010 in the UK was perfect and worth the extra money.

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a second red housing from 5bestcell which I received today. It obviously wasn't brand new and had debris behind the protective film, the lens was dirty and the black shiny material around the lens on the inside had been partially peeled away. The seller agreed to a refund but I'm ?3.50 down on the deal because I had to pay for return shipping :-( Maybe he will offer to refund this?

The housing I ordered on eBay from mobiles4life2010 in the UK was perfect and worth the extra money.

Gah, I hope I don't have this issue with the one I ordered.

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Also from pictures in this thread the original cases seem to have a black strip along the right side with the replacements don't have (except that grey one). What is it and is it necessary?

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
5bestcell has already refunded me, excellent customer service.

I might send mine back when I get it and order from mobiles4life or 2buya. There's look slightly different. How does your red one seem compared to the other one aside from the sim card issue?

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My red case from 5bestcell was a mess too. The plastic on one of the antennas was bent, the plastic strip holding the side buttons was out of shape slightly which caused it to snap when I put the phone in and the camera lens kept slipping out. Getting a refund off him.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I just had this same issue with the sim tray not fitting, I was able to use an emery board/nail file to get it to fit properly. I still emailed the seller to let him know.

Edit: seller is sending out the correct sim tray for me. Very fast resolution to the problem.

Last edited:

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I received a cyan ( gloss ) from ebay. It's absolutely fine except a crack. looks like that was done in transit though. Seller is sending another
Also has a yellow from ebay for a month now and it hasn't had any problems

I'm a bit surprised anyone thought these were OEM and not copies. These are a more rigid plastic than the OEM ploycarbs. Ultimately they feel and look the same but I would say they would be more likely to crack if dropped rather than dent.

If it's around $20 - $30.... it's not Nokia made... just saying

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm a bit surprised anyone thought these were OEM and not copies. These are a more rigid plastic than the OEM ploycarbs. Ultimately they feel and look the same but I would say they would be more likely to crack if dropped rather than dent.

If it's around $20 - $30.... it's not Nokia made... just saying
what makes you think these are not made of PC? PC is a rigid plastic. Looking at the inside molding pattern somebody must have received a perfect mold to imitate the original (or spent some serious time to copy it). Furthermore, the camera part on the back says Nokia|Carl Zeiss. If you are correct then these are counterfeits (and somebody may get in trouble). Some posts here indicate that they've received the case without the Nokia name.
I personally thought these are originals, just discarded originals (maybe sorted out the best ones from a bad batch) that somebody is selling.
my two cents

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I just had this same issue with the sim tray not fitting, I was able to use an emery board/nail file to get it to fit properly. I still emailed the seller to let him know.

Edit: seller is sending out the correct sim tray for me. Very fast resolution to the problem.
yep, did mine too. Didn't want to go back to black and wait a week until seller ships correct SIM tray. Used fine sandpaper to trim it down.
IMG_1991 (320x292).jpg

pezley

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
what makes you think these are not made of PC? PC is a rigid plastic. Looking at the inside molding pattern somebody must have received a perfect mold to imitate the original (or spent some serious time to copy it). Furthermore, the camera part on the back says Nokia|Carl Zeiss. If you are correct then these are counterfeits (and somebody may get in trouble). Some posts here indicate that they've received the case without the Nokia name.
I personally thought these are originals, just discarded originals (maybe sorted out the best ones from a bad batch) that somebody is selling.
my two cents

Sorry I didnt mean to say they aren't PC. They might well be but they are certainly not at the same standard or as flexible as the OEM ones. Completely strip the shell of all parts, camera bezel, buttons, USB port etc so it's just the plastic. Grab one in each hand you squeeze at the sides. My oem was was much more flexible, if you want to, you can even twist the OEM ones a bit with no problem. The ebay ones do not. Also as a note, the yellow housing i got had some plastic flash still in the mic holes. I had to use a pin to widen every hole ever so slightly to make it so my voice wasn't muffle.

Seems odd to me that there are still some on ebay for ?50 - ?60, legitimate sellers ( reputable phone parts companies ) have them for ?50 - ?60 yet we are seeing all these pop up from chinese sellers for 1/3 of the price and no one seems to think they aren't copies.

Also, another perfect example. Nokia do not make a Glossy Cyan 920 yet all the chinese sellers have Glossy Cyan shells. Anyone think Nokia are just making 100's of these gloss cyan shells to not put on a phone ? Again, the one reputable phone repair company in europe who has cyan, happens to have it in matte and along with all their housings are about ?50.

anyway, Both mine ( cyan and yellow ) have been great. Not perfect but once on the phone it's impossible to tell. The yellow had the slight issue of the mic holes not being cleaned out properly and cyan was cracked ( seller has sent another ) but ultimitely, to get the colour you want for ?20. not a bad deal

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Your test with flexing in comparison shows that the PC in the after market cases have not undergone the correct physical aging process (chemist talking here). Physical aging can be used to greatly improve toughness of polymers and specifically polycabonate. From your observations it certainly looks like you are correct that these are copies. Cheers. Thanks for the important info on flexing. Where do we get true OEM, without buying Lumias for spares on eBay?

SchueyF1

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to order a red one from 2_buy_a. He says they are straight from Nokia UK and the price reflects that. He has yellow, red, white and grey.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs