Lumia 920 black to yellow conversion (album)

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I switched from Black to Yelow then from Yellow to White and I love it! Really easy to do. But now I don't understand, NFC charging doesnt work on my phone anymore, help??! :(

Maserati Storm

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Cyan is still pretty rare being an American exclusive so, price for demand is going to skyrocket. I had to wait 7 months to buy one 2nd hand, so I know how bad it is.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Got a blue shell but didn't read this thread earlier. I am a little worried now and hoping that I get mine free of defects.

If the OP is around maybe he can update us how his housing is holding up after over a month of use?

stueyboy

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I switched from Black to Yelow then from Yellow to White and I love it! Really easy to do. But now I don't understand, NFC charging doesnt work on my phone anymore, help??! :(

Did you make sure that the contacts for the charging coil went underneath the ones for the flash? Probably find that your flash isn't working either

omglilol

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
OP any chance you post high-res screens of yellow shell compared to original Nokia? Not to really compare quality or anything but just to fill my excitement, shipping is taking a while and the muppet inside me wants more pics, videos and stuff

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
OP any chance you post high-res screens of yellow shell compared to original Nokia? Not to really compare quality or anything but just to fill my excitement, shipping is taking a while and the muppet inside me wants more pics, videos and stuff

Did you order from 5bestcell?

I ordered from them on Monday but have not had any updates or shipping notices sent to me yet.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Hmm one thing I noticed is that 5_bestcell has two listings for the back covers

One is listed as:
New OEM Housing Cover Case Door Cover with Sim tray For Nokia lumia 920 5*color

NEW Housing Cover Case Door Cover With SIM Tray FOR Nokia Lumia 920 5 Color | eBay

The other is listed as:
New Back Housing Cover Case Door Cover with Sim tray For Nokia lumia 920

NEW Back Housing Cover Case Door Cover With SIM Tray FOR Nokia Lumia 920 | eBay

They are both roughly the same price and look the same. Just the first one has "OEM" in the title. Don't know if it really makes a difference in the end.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
After doing the conversion a little over three weeks ago here are some pics of the Lumia 920 at the current state. Still looks like new. Only a very close look reveals micro scratches which are normal for a glossy PC case. I am not using any protective cases, just a screen protector. Anything you may see on the case are reflections. Purchased from 5_bestcell. Shipping is listed as 7-14 working days to US. It took 8 days for mine to arrive after I ordered it (US).

IMG_1998 (640x307).jpgIMG_1999 (640x360).jpgIMG_2000 (640x395).jpgIMG_2001 (640x564).jpgIMG_2002 (640x410).jpg

Last edited:

nikotin

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Forum,

is there anyone still around? I also did this conversation (yellow to red) with a cover from 5_bescell (got it proxied via the Netherlands, as he isn't shipping to Germany). The quality seems fine,the switch was easy (i messed up the wireless charing part a bit, as i was hurring to much, but wireless charing still works *phew*), but i have one problem now: GPS isn't working any more. I just can get positions via GSM, which is rather unaccurate, and not useful for navigation. There no GPS fix possible, no matter how long i wait. When switching back to my original housing (without transfering the wireless charging, anyway), i get a GPS fix quite much immediately, with either Here Maps or GPSInfo. All other things are working fine, Wifi, 2G, 3G (no 4G in my plan), even NFC.

So, is there anybody out there who has some ideas for me about that? Maybe which antenna is used for GPS? I would prefer not to try to move all antennas from one case to the other, but that would be surely worth a try in the end. Or other things i might try?

niko

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I got my yellow one from 5_bestcell...

couple of issues:
1. SIM tray yellow colour is much more orange in colour than actual body...anyone else notice this?
2. Carl Zeiss strip is not flush...sticks out a little
3. There is a defect in the plastic itself on one part where it looks like a bit of plastic is coming off

I've emailed the seller and he says he'll send me another one...hoping he doesn't expect me to send this back to him.

Not that happy but at the same time the conversion took all but 5 minutes literally....I'm a bit worried about the headphone jack coming off so I might glue it but so far so good...

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I ordered from 5bestcell and THIS is what happened with my White Housing when I just dropped from like 1 ft in my room. This thing is not even polycarbonate, it's just CHEAP PLASTIC. At least I got a full refund, but I won't be buying anything else from him, thats for sure!

IMG_20130626_113713.jpgIMG_20130626_113722 (1).jpg

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I really don't know if i want to go through with the conversion now. I have already ordered the part and considering the price, and the evidence here I will say that they are not OEM.

I think I might just pop my phone in a CC-1043 cover if I want a different colour :S

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Now I just want to know where I can get a REAL OEM polycarbonate white housing for my Lumia 920!

Yes, you can get them from buy 2buya.com I think.
However, I'm pretty shocked if it's not made by the same parts company that is making them for Nokia...the reason being is that I can't imagine enough money being made to do the work to develop antennas and all the other stuff that go inside of the housings we are buying to justify making a "fake"...

It certainly "feels" real to me...just perhaps units that failed QA

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I got my yellow one from 5_bestcell...

I've emailed the seller and he says he'll send me another one...hoping he doesn't expect me to send this back to him.

1. SIM tray yellow colour is much more orange in colour than actual body...anyone else notice this?
- did notice this on mine, but only in artificial light. The sim tray seems to be darker ever so slightly, barely noticeable. I do not see this under natural light though (see post above that shows the sim tray in the case). I am actually wondering if the same is observed with the yellow Lumia920 fresh off the shelf.
2. Carl Zeiss strip is not flush...sticks out a little
- mine does that too, only in the center part of the strip and again barely noticeable. I checked the original black case that my Lumia came with and that has the reverse problem in that the strip is slightly lower than the case - again, barely noticeable. My wife's white Lumia920 has a slightly raised strip as well.

3. There is a defect in the plastic itself on one part where it looks like a bit of plastic is coming off
- no such problem on mine. hope it stays that way.

It certainly "feels" real to me...just perhaps units that failed QA
I totally agree with you on this as stated on a couple pages earlier, these are probably OEM but rejects. Somebody is going through rejects and is selling them. Correct me if I am wrong but somebody in this forum/thread asked Nokia if the case he received from 5_bestcell is OEM and got a positive.

I ordered from 5bestcell and THIS is what happened with my White Housing when I just dropped from like 1 ft in my room. This thing is not even polycarbonate, it's just CHEAP PLASTIC. At least I got a full refund, but I won't be buying anything else from him, thats for sure!
Sorry this happened to you, that sucks. Just like yours my phone in its original black shell fell onto a tile in a changing room, possibly two feet. It fell right onto the corner. My stomach fell to my ankles at the same time, but the only thing I saw was a slight dent in the very corner where the plastic buckled slightly inwards. It apparently dampened the impact and prevented further damage. Yours should not have fractured like that and you should get a refund or replacement.
As I stated in an earlier post. I believe these are OEM and they are indeed PC. However, they seem to be rejected batches. The fact that yours fractured is more evidence that these have not undergone the correct physical aging process (tempering). Like glass, PC has to be annealed or tempered to get the best toughness. A well annealed PC would buckle under impact but not fracture.

-------------
In summary, in the end you have to realize that the only way you know the materials you purchase are 100% Nokia if you buy from Nokia. Anything purchased from ebay I take with a grain of salt. I only paid $35 and knowing the above I am happy with it, even if there may be some slight annoyances. I can always go back to the original case.
If this is too vague for you or you are not sure - I can only suggest - Do not do it.
cheers

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So, is there anybody out there who has some ideas for me about that? Maybe which antenna is used for GPS? I would prefer not to try to move all antennas from one case to the other, but that would be surely worth a try in the end. Or other things i might try?

niko
sounds like you have two options.
1) ask the seller to ship another shell or the antenna part (I realize that this may not be easy in your case)
2) swap the antenna from original shell to new one

nikotin

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
sounds like you have two options.
1) ask the seller to ship another shell or the antenna part (I realize that this may not be easy in your case)
2) swap the antenna from original shell to new one

Thanks for your reply. I was going for option two today. My problem was that i did not know which one was the GPS antenna. Now i know (after trying a wrong one first): it is the small one one the top,opposite to the SIM door. After exchanging this, i get a GPS fix quickly as usual.

So to me, it also seems that at least my shell is original OEM, but with errors/malfunctions that made them fail the quality tests - for example the GPS antenna in my case. So it is a kind of lottery what you get...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss