Nokia lumia 920 - I got a lemon - random restarts

mishmaccas

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello
I got a Nokia Lumia 920 on a contract through Telstra in Australia TWO weeks ago.
it has that problem with the random shut down/restarts.
The Telstra store would not replace it, since they didnt have proof it shuts down in front of their eyes. (It didnt happen in the store of course).
If this is a KNOWN problem, why cant Nokia just have a policy of replace the phone?
I had to send it away for repairs.
Not happy.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
That's ridiculous, especially if you have a warranty. I would contact Nokia about the problem. They should either repair your phone or send you a new one in exchange for yours if they are unable to fix it.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello
I got a Nokia Lumia 920 on a contract through Telstra in Australia TWO weeks ago.
it has that problem with the random shut down/restarts.
The Telstra store would not replace it, since they didnt have proof it shuts down in front of their eyes. (It didnt happen in the store of course).
If this is a KNOWN problem, why cant Nokia just have a policy of replace the phone?
I had to send it away for repairs.
Not happy.

Hi,

I've never heard about L920's randomly shutting down or rebooting.

However, my partners L820 has randomly shut down 3 times in 1 day, and this was down to, two 3rd party (free) games she installed that day. As soon as she uninstalled them, her phone has never done it again -- if you have any 3rd party games, I would suggest uninstalling them.

Or you can backup your phone (just to be on the safe side), and soft reset -- I think you have to press volume and lock screen buttons at the same time, until your phone vibrates. To hard reset you do the same but include the camera button

BEWARE -- hard reset could brick your phone, so this would be the last resort!

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I've just read your post again -- if they wouldn't replace it, as they didn't have proof of it shutting down. Then why have Nokia accepted it back to repair?

Surely the shop has to replace it, you've only had it 2 weeks -- that's rubbish customer service.

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I too had the random shutdown issue here in India.
I tried lots of tricks from the WPCentral forum. Uninstalling Skype, trick with the sim card, uninstalling games/apps etc....
None had solved the problem. But a month back I received the 1308 firmware and that update resolved the problem.
Since the update my phone has not randomly shutdown even once.
Can't seem to find the thread - but one guy had bought his phone from Australia (if i'm not mistaken), but was using it in UK, and Nokia agreed to solve the issue.
The Nokia Care service centre guy reflashed his firmware and since then, he too has not had a random reboot.
I personally believe it is due to the firmware.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Wow, bad customer service! My son's first 920 was having this same issue back in Nov. when he first got it. ATT replaced with no questions and his new one works perfectly. It has a one year warranty. Doesn't your provider have to honor it?

meandu229

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I had same issue in UK would shutdown and not turn on till soft reset a few times a day , sent to nokia twice they just sent it back without fixing until I made a big fuss and took it to their shop in the "frozen" state. Then they checked for water damage and replaced it, new one has worked perfectly since, no crashes/lock ups ,, I flashed all the recent firmwares as did the nokia care center and the repair guys I even didnt install anything and it crashed so I think its a HW problem get it changed.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I too had the random shutdown issue here in India.
I tried lots of tricks from the WPCentral forum. Uninstalling Skype, trick with the sim card, uninstalling games/apps etc....
None had solved the problem. But a month back I received the 1308 firmware and that update resolved the problem.
Since the update my phone has not randomly shutdown even once.
Can't seem to find the thread - but one guy had bought his phone from Australia (if i'm not mistaken), but was using it in UK, and Nokia agreed to solve the issue.
The Nokia Care service centre guy reflashed his firmware and since then, he too has not had a random reboot.
I personally believe it is due to the firmware.

My partners L820 had the latest update, and it still shut down until she uninstalled the 2 games (this happened last week). So it looks like it could be a number of things, that make them shut down i.e apps, software or hardware.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I had same issue in UK would shutdown and not turn on till soft reset a few times a day , sent to nokia twice they just sent it back without fixing until I made a big fuss and took it to their shop in the "frozen" state. Then they checked for water damage and replaced it, new one has worked perfectly since, no crashes/lock ups ,, I flashed all the recent firmwares as did the nokia care center and the repair guys I even didnt install anything and it crashed so I think its a HW problem get it changed.

In your case it sounds like it was hardware because your phone got bricked. I think that happens when the phones are hard reset.

However, the OP is only shutting down. Also, they haven't said if they have tried updating the phone, uninstalling apps or if it's bricked. And all we have know so far, is that it's been sent for repair because of shutting down -- so the OP's thread is kind of vague. Therefore, I think it's hard to definitely say what is causing their problem, as it could be a number of things. ⛔

thzman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have just sent my 920 off to the workshop after just two weeks. :(
It started locking up and freezing the day before yesterday. The touch panel stopped responding all of a sudden but the HW buttons still worked. I could raise and lower the volume, start the camera and lock the phone. If l was lucky or waited about five to ten minutes, I could unlock it again without having to do a soft reset. Sometimes the phone would reboot. The store had a seven day DOA policy. Tried all the things including soft and hard reset with no effect. Maybe I should not have updated to 1308. It was on 1249 when I got it but coming from Android you're always eager for an update. ;-)
Not feeling good about having to use my old Android phone in the meantime. The repair is said to take two weeks. :(
I hope they find out what's wrong.

Sent by airwaves using Tapatalk 2.

mishmaccas

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I am still waiting for the phone to come back from the assessment/repair shop.
When I spoke to a support person at my provider Telstra I asked if there was a complaints area. She said no there wasnt I had to talk to her.
Then afterwards I found an official complaint form page on the Telstra website, so she lied to me.
I put in a formal complaint, because I want this issue fixed or a replacement phone with some compensation for the period I am not able to use my phone.

It is only until you put in a formal complaint that you can talk to your local ombudsman!

Nokia should be up front and tell us what this problem is. Is it battery connectors? Sim card placement? or what?

If not, Nokia should give all their retailers the option of immediate replacement and they have to cover the costs of their own dud phones.!!!

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Just had another random reboot. Not had too many in the couple of months since getting a 920 but each one has been extremely annoying.

Stentando

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I'm from Singapore. I was wondering if the firmware really solved everyone's random reboot issue? I just had my phone replaced by Nokia, and still I experience the random reboots. It was ok for the first 3 days, then on the 4th day, it restarted around 3 times. On the 5th, it's 3 times now. The firmware says it's 1308. What could be wrong?

RhymesWithEmpty

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 928 a few days ago, and it's rebooted twice on me today. The first time was just before my alarm went off in the morning, but it was preceded by a loud beep, so I thought maybe I had just selected the wrong tone at first. The 2nd was while listening to music, same loud beep. I've also had issues getting my music to load/display correctly and play on this phone. Earlier this morning it wouldn't play anything and just kept giving me the same error code, but now, after leaving it alone all day while at work, it's playing fine. Not sure what to think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb