Should I do this? Buy an HTC 8X

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I have had an 8X in the past but I just couldn't have it replace Android for me. So after being back on Android for a while, I have an urge to get another 8X, but not to replace my Android phone but to supplement it.

With that being said, should I do it? The last two days I have been texting back and forth with a local guy who is willing to sell me a pretty much brand new 8X for $160. He bought it for a second line and never activated it. Should I? Good deal?

If I do, does this phone now have turn-by-turn navigation natively? It didn't when I had it and I really need that.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

mitunchidamparam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should I do this?

i think that is a pretty good deal.
i think all windows phones have turn by turn navigation natively from Nokia , called Here maps and they are free.
For offline all phones can save maps and u can you use turn by turn navigation.
The only difference betwenn a HIGH end Nokia and any other phone is that the offline turn by turn can be used for only one country for any phones other than high end nokia ones.
online and one country offline are avaliable for all phones

driver_king

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

You'll be able to use Here Drive now, if I'm not mistaken, as Nokia should have opened up their Here services to other WP competitors, as opposed to the last time you had an 8X. Also, if Here Drive isn't exactly what you're looking for, you can check out the new Waze social GPS arriving on WP soon. So, if that was your biggest qualm with WP before, I'd say it is safe enough to say it's worth giving it a second shot.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

It's either hot, or he's selling just a shell. That's pretty cheap for a used 8x. Is it working?

It's definitely not a shell, he sent me pics of the phone on. He supposedly works at a Verizon store and doesn't need this phone. In my texts back and forth with him over the last couple days, he seems legit.

i think that is a pretty good deal.
i think all windows phones have turn by turn navigation natively from Nokia , called Here maps and they are free.
For offline all phones can save maps and u can you use turn by turn navigation.
The only difference betwenn a HIGH end Nokia and any other phone is that the offline turn by turn can be used for only one country for any phones other than high end nokia ones.
online and one country offline are avaliable for all phones

Thanks!

I'd wait to see more about the Nokia 928
I would but this would just be a supplemental phone to my android so I don't want to have to use an upgrade to get one or pay a lot of money.

You'll be able to use Here Drive now, if I'm not mistaken, as Nokia should have opened up their Here services to other WP competitors, as opposed to the last time you had an 8X. Also, if Here Drive isn't exactly what you're looking for, you can check out the new Waze social GPS arriving on WP soon. So, if that was your biggest qualm with WP before, I'd say it is safe enough to say it's worth giving it a second shot.

Thanks!

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

It's definitely not a shell, he sent me pics of the phone on. He supposedly works at a Verizon store and doesn't need this phone. In my texts back and forth with him over the last couple days, he seems legit.

Thanks!

I would but this would just be a supplemental phone to my android so I don't want to have to use an upgrade to get one or pay a lot of money.

Thanks!

The 8X performance seems good enough that waiting for the 928 when you can get the 8X for that price is hardly worth it unless you insist on bleeding edge. After all, the 8X was considered top stuff not *that* long ago. Months maybe. And I use Nokia Drive on the 8X. Works great. Waze not so much. It works OK in terms of comes on and functions, but I've had some really bizarre routing from it. Miles out my way bizarre.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

So, I talked to the guy on the phone today and it seems super legit. So far we are planning to meet tomorrow morning and a price of $160. Should I follow through? I'm leaning towards yes.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

The 8X performance seems good enough that waiting for the 928 when you can get the 8X for that price is hardly worth it unless you insist on bleeding edge.
i meant that more because HTC isn't offering much and Lumia has so many exclusive apps

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Hey guys, I have had an 8X in the past but I just couldn't have it replace Android for me. So after being back on Android for a while, I have an urge to get another 8X, but not to replace my Android phone but to supplement it.

With that being said, should I do it? The last two days I have been texting back and forth with a local guy who is willing to sell me a pretty much brand new 8X for $160. He bought it for a second line and never activated it. Should I? Good deal?

If I do, does this phone now have turn-by-turn navigation natively? It didn't when I had it and I really need that.

Thanks guys!

I don't know but something doesn't sound right...if he's an employee of Verizon then he knows that these phones retail for about $400 off contract ( not talking eBay, Groupon, etc.) If its never activated and he just bought it for a second phone then why is he selling it so cheap? Meaning he can get at least $300 for it...! My opinion is that its either a stolen/bad imei phone or its a refurbished device and not in brand new condition (maybe new parts or new screen protector). There's no way to chk for water damage because you can't take the back off. I would ask if there is a way that I could get the imei number to call Verizon to see if its a bad imei (stolen or incomplete contract). I don't know...my mama always said that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! :)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

i meant that more because HTC isn't offering much and Lumia has so many exclusive apps

Alot of the Nokia apps I use (navigation and a few others ) are universal on Windows Phone 8. I just bought my first Nokia phone ( for someone else) and I can honestly say that I didn't miss anything on the Nokia when I turned back to the 8x. Not everyone needs a boat load of apps (some do, LOL!) but I definitely think that the 8x holds its own...i think it's more about price at this point...because the 928 will definitely NOT be $160, so they are asking opinions on what we think they should do in terms of going through with the deal. I already gave my advice about it...the 8x is great, but the deal seems a bit fishy...my opinion. :)

beej

May 5, 2011
Visit site

My opinion is that its either a stolen/bad imei phone or its a refurbished device and not in brand new condition (maybe new parts or new screen protector). There's no way to chk for water damage because you can't take the back off. I would ask if there is a way that I could get the imei number to call Verizon to see if its a bad imei (stolen or incomplete contract). I don't know...my mama always said that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! :)

I second the IMEI route. Gotta be safe. But if it's legit, I'd take that deal. For sure.

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site

If it's a Verizon phone have him give you the IMEI or ESN and run it through Verizon's ESN checker
Check Your Device

At the same time why do you want this phone? Android can do everything WP can do. If you're already carrying and are fine with Android there isn't much reason to get an 8X.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

If it's a Verizon phone have him give you the IMEI or ESN and run it through Verizon's ESN checker
Check Your Device

At the same time why do you want this phone? Android can do everything WP can do. If you're already carrying and are fine with Android there isn't much reason to get an 8X.

Well, I've been on Android for years now and I'm a tech nut. I love cell phones and playing with them, so at this price I was thinking I will just grab it and play with it as a second phone. I think my Droid DNA will still be my primary everyday phone, but this will be something that I can play with and see if over time it captures me enough to make WP8 my daily driver. At the very least, I will play with it for a bit and just flip it for probably as much or more than I paid for it. So it's a low risk rental if you will.

Just as an overall update to everyone, I have decided to go through with the deal and am meeting up with him this morning at 9am. I'm going to get the ESN/IMEI number from him before I go. I will let you guys know how it goes!

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Well guys, I got the phone. It was definitely legit and it's 100% brand new. I popped my sim card in and it activated with no problems. The phone was never even used, it's crazy. It still has the sticker on the back with the IMEI, etc and there isn't any discoloration or a smudge on it. Upon using the phone, I had to install 2 updates which is another clue it wasn't used.

The guy definitely works for Verizon, he had his Verizon polo shirt on and he was on his way to work. He said when he got the phone he just threw it in his house and forgot about it. I'm assuming he got it free because I think I remember hearing that Verizon employees were given WP8 phones to educate them and possibly move them over. The reason why I think this is because of him selling it so low (all profit anyways) and he didn't have the box or anything. He even said that he hates selling stuff on Craigslist and he just wanted to get rid of it.

Either way, my gain! I think $160 is an excellent price as I can flip it for more today if I really wanted to.

Anyhow, on to the phone. I'm very discouraged to see that the same issue exists that existed 6 months ago when I had this phone. Is it just me or does the space bar often not respond while texting? It drives me nuts! I will be typing a text and every second time or so, the space bar won't respond. What is up with this? Is it that I'm typing too fast and it's trying to catch up or what?

Thanks!

Last edited:

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Well guys, I got the phone. It was definitely legit and it's 100% brand new. I popped my sim card in and it activated with no problems. The phone was never even used, it's crazy. It still has the sticker on the back with the IMEI, etc and there isn't any discoloration or a smudge on it. Upon using the phone, I had to install 2 updates which is another clue it wasn't used.

The guy definitely works for Verizon, he had his Verizon polo shirt on and he was on his way to work. He said when he got the phone he just threw it in his house and forgot about it. I'm assuming he got it free because I think I remember hearing that Verizon employees were giving WP8 phones to educate them and possibly move them over. The reason why I think this is because of him selling it so low (all profit anyways) and he didn't have the box or anything. He even said that he hates selling stuff on Craigslist and he just wanted to get rid of it.

Either way, my gain! I think $160 is an excellent price as I can flip it for more today if I really wanted to.

Anyhow, on to the phone. I'm very discouraged to see that the same issue exists that existed 6 months ago when I had this phone. Is it just me or does the space bar often not respond while texting? It drives me nuts! I will be typing a text and every second time or so, the space bar won't respond. What is up with this? Is it that I'm typing too fast and it's trying to catch up or what?

Thanks!

Yay! Glad it worked out for you! :)

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Me too, but I'm already missing my Android phone lol. But it's great that I have both, I can just swap the sim as I feel like it. I'm tempted to flip it for some quick cash but I'm doing my best to hang on to it for at least a couple weeks. I want to use it here and there and see if I can ween off of Android or if I will just flip it in the end.

Overall I really like WP8, but I just wish it was more mature. I just miss certain things from Android. Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers