820...slow to snap first photo when SD card installed

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm attempting to switch to the Lumia 820 from previous Lumia phones -- the 920 and the 720. Sadly, I'm seeing an issue that is also present on the Lumia 720, i.e.: with an SD card inserted, the camera takes longer to snap the first photo. The proceeding photos are typically snappy, but if you wait too long it seems to lag again. With the SD card removed, all photos snap quickly and consistently.

Exact issue is described here: micro SD card mounting delay my Lumia 820 to take picture - Microsoft Community

I've tried several SD cards -- Sandisk 32GB Class 10 (current), Kingston 64GB Class 10, and a Toshiba 4GB Class 4 -- all of them with the same results. The phone is also noticeably more laggy in other areas when the SD card is installed: Settings, Xbox Music, etc..

Has anyone found a fix for this?

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
are those sd cards SDHC or SDXC? the later was advertised to have a faster read/write speed.
Aren't this the same on android using SD cards?

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
are those sd cards SDHC or SDXC? the later was advertised to have a faster read/write speed.
Aren't this the same on android using SD cards?

I've used both SDHC and SDXC -- same issue in both cases. Perhaps more annoyingly, I have my phone set to Save Photos to the Phone and not the External Storage. In other words, it's supposed to be saving to the phone memory and not the SD card. Doesn't seem to matter, though, because simply having the SD card installed --- even if photos are set to save to the Phone Memory -- means that the first photo is slow to capture.

anon(5725333)

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Your problem is the same as mine, though I'm using a 620. Even having it save to phone memory gives the same problem.

Only removing the card resolves.

Yipcanjo

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Well , I am using 64GB Sandisk class 10 card and everything is fine.

Is it?

With the card inserted, reboot the phone, open the camera, and take a picture. Time the process.

Now, remove the card, reboot the phone, open the camera, and take a picture once again. Time the process.

I'm betting the "card removed" photo was faster.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been frustrated about this since day 1 I bought it. The native camera app lags as hell, but Proshot only takes its time saving the photo, so the outcome is that the native camera produces blurred photos even after snapping a photo, Proshot does not.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Is it?

With the card inserted, reboot the phone, open the camera, and take a picture. Time the process.

Now, remove the card, reboot the phone, open the camera, and take a picture once again. Time the process.

I'm betting the "card removed" photo was faster.

I noticed that too... took a while when it takes first snap, but for me after first snap it goes pretty smooth.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs