Need help backing up my phone - with a very unique situation

Qoma

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone, I have searched a ton for this and cannot find an answer anywhere. I am stuck in a very unique (and awful) situation, so please hear me out. I have two main problems.

Problem 1

Last night, the display on my ~5 month old Nokia Lumia 920 quit. Only the display, though - the phone still turns on and off, the touch-screen still works, I can receive calls and talk (I can only because I remember where the buttons were on the display), I can receive texts (but obviously not read them, with no display), basically everything on the phone still works except for the display. It stays black.

I have tried the soft reset to no effect. All that's left is to do before trying to repair is a hard reset and see if that does anything. The problem is, before I do that, I want to back up my phone so that I can restore it in case everything gets erased after the hard reset. Things like apps would be very easy to get again, and I've been able to take all of my photos off already, but I had some very important notes in OneNote, and then there's my entire contact list.

I need some way to back up the phone to my PC remotely, or else remove those things from the phone remotely to put on my PC so that I can re-enter them manually after. Either would be fine. Does such a thing exist, anywhere? I can't do it from the phone, because trying to browse to Settings > Backup on the phone itself is now impossible, with no display. I don't seem to be able to find anything from Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Nokia Lumia 920, nor from the Windows Phone App that I have installed on my computer. It's only good for backing up useless things like music. I also see no such data when I browse through the files on my phone via windows.

Problem 2

IF I am able to back up my phone, the next question becomes what to do with the phone afterward. Where to have it repaired, or replaced. I live in Canada, and bought it from Negri Electronics - and of course, without their warranty coverage, because I was under the understanding that I had a two-year manufacturer's warranty. After searching the Nokia website with my IMEI, though, it tells me that my phone is not eligible for warranty in Canada because it is not a model that was designed to be used in Canada (it is the "International" version, and was the only version I could find available ANYWHERE at the time). Negri Electronics, of course, mentions nothing about this, and had I known, I would DEFINITELY have bought a warranty from them.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do in that situation? Sadly, this problem is secondary to retrieving the information off my half-bricked phone. Depending on if the hard reset works (which I am already skeptical about), I may or may not have to deal with this.

Thanks so much for reading. Any help at all (especially with Problem 1) will be so greatly appreciated.

Sponge920

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Is there nothing in Canadian consumer law to protect you? Nothing that compares to the UK Sale of Goods Act/Distance Selling Regulations that mean the retailer is required to provide cover for faulty goods?

Do you know anyone that has a 920, or can access one (eg a shop), and run it side by side with yours so you know where to touch the screen?

Can you access OneNote (I haven't used it) via a web-browser and SkyDrive?

If Nokia won't fix it under their warranty, can you not just pay them to fix it (as if it were out of warranty)? I think I'd prefer to send it to Nokia to be repaired, than a 3rd party.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
@Qoma:

OneNote is automatically synced and backed up, and u can access it via live.com (ur microsoft account). The same situation is with the contacts list, it is automatically synced and backed up to the server.

If u login to ur account, the contacts are under the people Tile, and if u go to SkyDrive, then u should find ur Documents.

Hope this helped a bit.
Cheers.

Qoma

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, I was able to find the things I needed in SkyDrive, you're right. Now I'm just left with dealing with my phone... the hard reset did not work, there is still no display. Anyone ever needed to have an Intl version 920 (RM-821) repaired or replaced in Canada, either through Negri Electronics or Nokia?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss