So its battery vs more RAM..

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey A5cent, how u doing mate!

Thanks for your reply... I know what you are saying. Though I agree with everything, there is just one point I may contest against, the last one, The Adreno 225 vs 305. I read on some popular forums the 225 is stronger than the 305...Can we discuss this in length a little...? I am open to a good logical argument on this one...I did plenty of research on this one myself.

Sure we can discuss it. However, as you surely know by now, when it comes to issues of performance I prefer numbers over words, so without further ado I offer you this benchmark.

Both test candidates sport the same display resolution and the same version of Android. As you can see, the Adreno 305 came out slightly ahead in most tests. Admittedly the difference isn't huge, but according to Qualcomm the Adreno 305 also gets by on less power. Whenever you're confronted with a mobile GPU that offers better performance while using less power, there is nothing left to think about... you can't go wrong with that combination. Professional review sites confirm that result, like this one from gsmarena (see GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt).

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a benchmark comparing these two GPUs under WP8. Theoretically, things may be completely different for WP8, but it is far more likely that results will be very similar if not identical.

As far as Qualcomm is concerned, the Adreno 305 replaces the Adreno 225 completely. Going forward, any new SoC that is intended to reach the GPU performance levels of the Adreno 225 will ship with the Adreno 305 instead.

I'm not sure what it is you read on other forums, but IMHO numbers speak louder than words.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There is not and will never be an app that would noticeably benefit from having that marginally faster gpu. It will not come into play.

The term "come into play" is very unfortunate. If a smartphones GPU is fired up and crunching pixels then it comes into play. Period.

Based on the benchmarking results the performance difference between both GPUs is negligible however. I agree that the probability of anyone noticing a difference is essentially zero. When it comes to power draw and battery life however, assuming all else is equal (which in practice does not apply), I suspect we would notice a difference. Unfortunately, I lack the numbers to back that statement up.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Sure we can discuss it. However, as you surely know by now, when it comes to issues of performance I prefer numbers over words, so without further ado I offer you this benchmark.

Both test candidates sport the same display resolution and the same version of Android. As you can see, the Adreno 305 came out slightly ahead in most tests. Admittedly the difference isn't huge, but according to Qualcomm the Adreno 305 also gets by on less power. Whenever you're confronted with a mobile GPU that offers better performance while using less power, there is nothing left to think about... you can't go wrong with that combination. Professional review sites confirm that result, like this one from gsmarena (see GLBenchmark 2.5 Egypt).

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a benchmark comparing these two GPUs under WP8. Theoretically, things may be completely different for WP8, but it is far more likely that results will be very similar if not identical.

As far as Qualcomm is concerned, the Adreno 305 replaces the Adreno 225 completely. Going forward, any new SoC that is intended to reach the GPU performance levels of the Adreno 225 will ship with the Adreno 305 instead.

I'm not sure what it is you read on other forums, but IMHO numbers speak louder than words.

http://www.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/common/snapdragon-specs-06.07.12.pdf

Combination of 1 Ghz CPU coupled with Adreno 305 - MSM8627 or MSM8227

See the combination of 1.5 Ghz Dual Core Krait coupled with Adreno 225 - MSM8960

As we can clearly see how powerful Adreno 225 compared to 305 especially in handling camera MP and Display resolution.

1.2 Ghz Dual Core Krait + Adreno 305 = Replaces 1.5 Ghz Dual Core Krait + Adreno 225
! Ghz Dual Core Krait + Adreno 305 = Weaker , Only Replaces Adreno 205 Devices with slight bumps in performances in GPU but leaps in CPU

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The term "come into play" is very unfortunate. If a smartphones GPU is fired up and crunching pixels then it comes into play. Period.

Based on the benchmarking results the performance difference between both GPUs is negligible however. I agree that the probability of anyone noticing a difference is essentially zero. When it comes to power draw and battery life however, assuming all else is equal (which in practice does not apply), I suspect we would notice a difference. Unfortunately, I lack the numbers to back that statement up.

"come into play" was referring to: the marginal performance gain of one vs the other will never come into play. Obviously they are being used...
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Board Express

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
http://www.qualcomm.com/sites/default/files/common/snapdragon-specs-06.07.12.pdf

Combination of 1 Ghz CPU coupled with Adreno 305 - MSM8627 or MSM8227

See the combination of 1.5 Ghz Dual Core Krait coupled with Adreno 225 - MSM8960

As we can clearly see how powerful Adreno 225 compared to 305 especially in handling camera MP and Display resolution.

1.2 Ghz Dual Core Krait + Adreno 305 = Replaces 1.5 Ghz Dual Core Krait + Adreno 225
! Ghz Dual Core Krait + Adreno 305 = Weaker , Only Replaces Adreno 205 Devices with slight bumps in performances in GPU but leaps in CPU

I feel I must guess what you are trying to say. I would appreciate more clarity of expression.

It appears you are trying to say that the A305 is weaker than the A225 due to the camera and display resolution limitations you've mentioned. That makes no sense, because those aren't at all limitations of the GPU, but rather limitations of the SoC (or other components on the SoC)!

However, we're discussing the GPU, not the SoC. Even if that were otherwise, the camera and display resolution limitations are entirely irrelevant to XENOPHOS, because neither the L820 nor the L720 incorporate hardware that bumps up against those limitations. The only exception is camera recording resolution, where the SoC in the L720 limits the device to recording 720p, whereas the L820 achieves 1080p, but again, the GPU isn't part of that equation.

So, the A305 truly is the more powerful GPU, although as link68759 mentioned, not necessarily noticeably so.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
GPU pushes pixels and graphics.

If u increase resolution , fps goes down , so in order to get decent fps at higher resolution , GPU strength must be increased because it,must push more pixels while maintaining frame rate.

More resolution for same GPU = less fps
To compensate lower frame rate , they must either increase channel bandwidth or increase cores.

Adreno 305 is nowhere near to handle 1080p at decent frame rate , that's why it's limited to 720p display and also camera is limited to 13 MP or so.

Comparing that with 225 , it can push 1080p at decent frame rate and also has better ISP along with better GPU to capture more pixels at same time.

Since L820 has same resolution as L720 , he is going to experience better frame rates and also better bandwidth channels.

Not to forget L820 has 2.25 times more RAM than 720.
(398 MB Usable RAM Vs 898 MB Usable RAM)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Adreno 305 is nowhere near to handle 1080p at decent frame rate , that's why it's limited to 720p display and also camera is limited to 13 MP or so.

Comparing that with 225 , it can push 1080p at decent frame rate and also has better ISP along with better GPU to capture more pixels at same time.

Since L820 has same resolution as L720 , he is going to experience better frame rates and also better bandwidth channels.

Your theoretical knowledge sounds fine and all, but it completely falls to pieces when you attempt to apply it.

1)
You are confusing video recording resolutions with display resolutions. Although you claim it does, the MSM8227 (as used by the L720) actually doesn't support 720p display resolutions. What it can do is record video at 720p, which is lower than the 1080p the MSM8960 achieves (as used by the L820).

However, as previously stated, video recording resolutions are largely independent of the GPU! Anyone can prove this to themselves just by looking at the spec sheet of the brand new Snapdragon 400 series, which all incorporate the exact same A305 GPU, but don't have those same limitations.

2)
You state that since the L820 and the L720 share the same display resolution, the L820 should exhibit better frame rates as you believe it to be the better performing GPU. However, all you need to do is look at the benchmark I provided to see that is utter BS! C'mon, read!

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Your theoretical knowledge sounds fine and all, but it completely falls to pieces when you attempt to apply it.

1)
You are confusing video recording resolutions with display resolutions. Although you claim it does, the MSM8227 (as used by the L720) actually doesn't support 720p display resolutions. What it can do is record video at 720p, which is lower than the 1080p the MSM8960 achieves (as used by the L820).

However, as previously stated, video recording resolutions are largely independent of the GPU! Anyone can prove this to themselves just by looking at the spec sheet of the brand new Snapdragon 400 series, which all incorporate the exact same A305 GPU, but don't have those same limitations.

2)
You state that since the L820 and the L720 share the same display resolution, the L820 should exhibit better frame rates as you believe it to be the better performing GPU. However, all you need to do is look at the benchmark I provided to see that is utter BS! C'mon, read!

Sorry , before I was using phone to see pdf didn't see the top heading as Display and Video recording , I forgot about display abbreviations totally

About Display : Yes like u said L720 doesn't support 720p displays
MSM8227 or MSM8627 - Both support FWVGA Display which is equal to 854?480 resolution (maximum supported) Can support the standard 800 x 480 = Current crop of Lumia 520/620/820 etc.
MSM8960 or MSM8660A - Both support WUXGA Display which is equal to 1920?1200 resolution (Maximum supported) Can support the standard 1920 x 1080 = 1080p

Your benchmark is showing performance of either :
APQ8030 or
MSM8230 or
MSM8630 or
MSM8930

That chip you are seeing in benchmark u have is not MSM8627 or MSM8227

There are lot of chips which support Adreno 305 but none of them support even 720p display or 1080p recording which clearly shows weak performance.

Clock speed can effect whole SoC

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Coming to slightly real world scenario...how about the performance of games and apps? Will they resume faster? Even the stock apps and not third party apps?
Right now on the 720, the apps take two to three seconds to resume, Skype etc.
There is no Temple Run I see anywhere on the Store, for ...obvious reasons.

So, keeping Frame rates away, how will it help me in day-to-day operations?

Will it work faster than the 305, considering its found in the likes of iPhones and S3s...?

Thanks to all the people who have replied BTW...really really good of info there.. :)

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Wow! Good for you, my 820 heats up as hell, especially while playing and surfing. Although I understand that it's summer here and I live in a tropical country. :)

By surfing ...how much does it take to heat it up? I too surf a lot..

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.

nchethan

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
So how are you finding your new L820?

What are your observations and would you recommend it to others who're confused between L720 or L820.

tvolpe86

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
my aunt just got the 820. battery isn't even lasting half the day when idle and barely being used. she got the phone free so i'm looking into a battery with larger capacity for her. her battery is fine when data is turned off, which unfortunately defeats the purpose of a smartphone lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs