Going back to a 920 after having the Ativ S and 8X

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I honestly don't know what to think. In January when I decided to retire my one year old HTC Titan which I loved dearly for the bigger and better WP8 experience I was excited. I wanted the Lumia 920 because people were raving about its great specs, design and trusty Nokia quality. Well I have since fallen in love with WP8 but I didn't fall in love with the 920, not the one I had anyway. I got it from a 3rd party seller on Amazon because at the time they themselves weren't stocking them. I had to pay ?535 which is ridiculous now thinking of it. However it had build quality problems, a faulty vibrator and headphone jack. I loved many things about it like the audio enhancements, exclusive apps and design.

So after sending that back I got a HTC 8X. Again, I loved the unique design and somewhat good build quality. I didn't appreciate the mushy buttons but I was prepared to put up with it, until one day at college Ii had the "sim card error" message, immediately telling me something was wrong. The problem persisted after numerous factory resets, something I never had to do on any windows phone 7 handset.

So I sent that one back for a Samsung ATIV S. As cringy as that sounds it gave me the least amount of trouble, up until two weeks ago when I found black blotchy patches on the screen when there is a black background. There is also a big problem with the SD card reader which others are complaining about, something a software update may fix but this is Samsung we are talking about, there support for WP8 is lacking to say the very least. So after umming and arring and looking at amazon and finding they now stock the 920 in white over 100 pounds cheaper at 449.99 I ordered it.

Have I done the right thing here ? I hope I have :-/

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I bought my 920 on ebay BNIB for $340.00. It's been great so far I have hardly ever (knock on wood) had issues with electronics bought on ebay. But I am very impressed with the 920. I had a 900 which I bought from ATT and its done well as well its been updated to 7.8 (no issues with update) and now the rest of the ATT updates for the 900. I am keeping the 920 unless Nokia comes out with a killer phablet with WP8.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think if your initial choice was the 920 I would have sent your faulty one off to nokia for repair and stuck with it.

But hey on the plus side you got to try out all 3 of the top windows phones.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I was going to wait until Nokia announces the 928, or catwalk whatever you wanna call it, but there have been reports to suggest, and apparently Nokia have confirmed that it is no going to be the new Nokia WP8 flagship. The rumoured specs are identical other than the new one is supposed to use aluminium. And thinking about it, the L920 has only bee out since November 2012 so that just over 6 months. I would have thought Nokia would had waited at least one year before replacing it, otherwise they run the risk of upsetting there many 920 customers. Nokia are not Apple. Besides which they wouldn't leave the 920 in the waters. There update intervals are very persistent and frequent and the hardware capabilities of the 920 is rivalling 2013 phone releases.

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
After my 920 had a rather unfortunate meeting with the cold asphalt in New York, earlier this year, I decided to go for the 820 (expandable memory and lesser size) as a replacement. However, having sent the 920 in for repair, getting a new screen, I am giving the 820 on to my girlfriend and taking the 920 back in use. I do miss it, despite its aggravating faults and errors. If you've done something "wrong" by getting back to the 920, you're not alone at least. Heads up, sir!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, you're much better off returning to the 920. It's an amazing phone and you'll get all the support from Nokia and exclusive apps, including really important ones like that Storage Check thing that my fellow 810 users have been aching for (I've since switched to a 920 myself).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljwsrvv