928 v. 920 - Side by Side Comparison.

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I am still confused on the differences in audio between this and 920. Is there more mics than 920? Are they different? Some people have said stereo recording but I dont see that in specs. Also, I see it has a different speaker but is the amp new and different? What about headphone amp? Regarding camera, is hardware really different besides the xenon flash?

There really is confusion on this compared to 920 in the media reports so far. They talk about screen and build...but no one is really talking about audio or camera hardware diffs except Nokia so I need help here.

I'm potentially getting three of these on day one. I am taking deep dive coming from Sprint after 12 long and boring years and droid so want to make sure I am not overlooking the Att option of colored 920s with same audio and video capabilities and cheaper price. All my options are open. I've been following this 928 for months and just need clarification from those who really know 920 hardware compared to this.
Thanks.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am still confused on the differences in audio between this and 920. Is there more mics than 920? Are they different? Some people have said stereo recording but I dont see that in specs. Also, I see it has a different speaker but is the amp new and different? What about headphone amp? Regarding camera, is hardware really different besides the xenon flash?
Right here in the specs:
Main video camera features
  • Video streaming: YouTube browsing and video streaming, Progressive video download, Streaming from video services and internet
  • Video recording features: Stereo Audio Recording, Video light, Video zoom, Optical image stabilization, Continuous autofocus

Nokia Lumia 928 - Specifications - Nokia - USA

It has the same number of mics as the 920.

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Is it odd that video audio recording is in stereo, but the voice and audio recording is in mono?

Voice and audio recording
  • Recording: Voice recording in MMS, Voice recording in OneNote
  • Audio recording file formats: AMR
  • Audio recording codecs: AMR-NB, GSM FR
  • Audio recording features: Mono with high dynamics

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think those to are routed differently, maybe that is why ? But if this is true, that is great news! That also might mean that there is a software update coming for the 920, which would unlock stereo recording.

The only way to know for sure, is to examine the audio track from a 928 video file. If you open it in VLC > codec information ., its right there.

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I see being a better stat is the xenon flash and the AMOLED screen (if you like actual black pixels). I personally can live without the slightly less weighted a slimmer 928 as the 920 has more color options

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
again but that doesn't explain why talk time is so more when both screens would be off.

Actually it does. The voltage level isn't directly tied to the AMOLED being on or off. It's the core operating voltage of the phone, likely rectified/step-down to the voltage of the various components in the phone. The fact that they are using lower voltage means there is less power dissipation on the phone; i.e. less waste heat. I would guess that the CPU and radios are 1) newer die - less power dissipation, 2) more efficient with CDMA. Combine all of these factors and you can quickly see the times going up on everything. The CPU/radios likely being newer dies with less current leakage is probably one of the biggest power savings for standby and actual talk time.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Lets not forget that the 928 battery is not the same battery. It is a Li-po vs the 920's Li-on. It could just be a better battery.

rimlover

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually it does. The voltage level isn't directly tied to the AMOLED being on or off. It's the core operating voltage of the phone, likely rectified/step-down to the voltage of the various components in the phone. The fact that they are using lower voltage means there is less power dissipation on the phone; i.e. less waste heat. I would guess that the CPU and radios are 1) newer die - less power dissipation, 2) more efficient with CDMA. Combine all of these factors and you can quickly see the times going up on everything. The CPU/radios likely being newer dies with less current leakage is probably one of the biggest power savings for standby and actual talk time.

i suppose. i'd be extremely interested with someone digging deeper and seeing if there is actually a difference in the CPU (something like the samsung s4 and the HTC one. same family but the S4 has a slightly modified chip hence why it's the only snapdragon 600 running at 1.9 vs the reg 1.7). it's still blowing my mind the difference is so big. maybe it just me i suppose.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So where are the Lumia 920 'size' apologists? Glad Nokia realized what an overweight brick 920 was. Hoping for an even lighter (less than 150g) Catwalk.

Cradling their iphones with otterbox cases in yellow to look like a lumia 920 and weigh rougly the same too
Don't think ive heard anyone with a 920 ever apologise for it being too heavy.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I never thought the 920 was too big... I've always carried my phone on my belt, in a pouch. I guess it goes back to when I was a paramedic and a firefighter, with a belt full of stuff. A pouch with gloves, a holster with scissors and other stuff, a 4-cell Maglight (for light as well as self-defense), and one of these:
40878_143451709018769_100000618220339_252535_7676829_n.jpg

After carrying all that on your belt for a while, even one of these will seem light: :wink:
8000grey3.jpg

Attachments

• Motorola_HT1000.jpg
    Motorola_HT1000.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 110

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)