How good AMOLED screen on 928 will be ?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I am little confused here ,

So 920 has Pure motion HD screen while 928 has AMOLED screen.How should we consider this ? Upgrade or downgrade ?

I use Lumia 820 and I find AMOLED absolutely amazing (We have a Galaxy S2 running on 2.3.x in home , I have to say that colors on 820 looks much better and S2 colors especially green is so bad , Both have 4.3 inch screens with AMOLED and same resolution)

I am wondering how good the screen on 928 is going to be.

Good to see another flagship with AMOLED display.

Yes there are LCD lovers out there (Me too , I also love my iPad 3rd gen Retina display having IPS LCD but for WP UI , I like AMOLED + Black theme) but I don't feel AMOLED to be bad on 820 , especially Nokia's amazing Calibration + Clearblack tech (unlike Samsung displays which are calibrated wrongly and give huge tints like blue , pink etc.)

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920 and a Galaxy S 3 but the 920's screen is a lot brighter than the S3's by a long way. I used to swear by AMOLED screens over LCD's but I think Nokia have made an amazing job with the LCD screen on the 920.

deku13

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My Lumia 822 is amoled and it blows away the gs3 in brightness. I imagine the 928 will be just as good, but with much better resolution.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
@SanjayChandra:
Technically the Lumia 928 and the 920 both have Puremotion screens, they both have the super sensitive screen (gloves etc.), the 60Hz refresh rate, its just the 928 will have the amoled screen with deeper blacks and the 920 has the LCD with what people consider better color reproduction. They say lcd also has better sunlight readability but i think its a wash these days...
I have owned two Nokia devices with amoled screens and seen/used extensivley a few more (including the inky black N9), and then used/seen some of the LCD screens too - i much prefer my blacks to be inky and disappear when im looking at the screen - i dont want to see the edge of the screen/bezel as i find i get distracted by the almost brown looking screen on LCDs...when compared to the amoled.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
@SanjayChandra:
Technically the Lumia 928 and the 920 both have Puremotion screens, they both have the super sensitive screen (gloves etc.), the 60Hz refresh rate, its just the 928 will have the amoled screen with deeper blacks and the 920 has the LCD with what people consider better color reproduction. They say lcd also has better sunlight readability but i think its a wash these days...

Are you sure Lumia 928 has 60Hz screen? I'm not sure how cost effective and mass produced those are.

Historically Nokia has been about AMOLED screens and the Clear Black tech since N9 days so I would certainly not be hesitant to buy Nokia phone with AMOLED screen. AMOLED screens imo are also great fit for the dark (most of us use the dark theme) WP UI.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
All phone screens are 60Hz, what Nokia did with Puremotion is increase the response time of the pixels, ensuring they completely update their state during each frame, thus preventing ghosting. They did this on the LCD panel by overvolting each pixel. I'm not sure if they did the same for the AMOLED, or if that would even work, as they haven't gone into detail like they did with the LCD tech.

elyodeel

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I love the way amoled screens look, but after seeing horrible burn in on a display unit Lumia 900, I was turned off. The phone was unusable. I know that the display phones have the same image constantly on the screen and this would normally never happen to a phone that was actually being used, but it still bothered me seeing that the screens do burn very badly.

deku13

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
@SanjayChandra:
I have owned two Nokia devices with amoled screens and seen/used extensivley a few more (including the inky black N9), and then used/seen some of the LCD screens too - i much prefer my blacks to be inky and disappear when im looking at the screen - i dont want to see the edge of the screen/bezel as i find i get distracted by the almost brown looking screen on LCDs...when compared to the amoled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb