NOKIA LUMIA 928: Anybody have it yet or planning to purchase!

nufan947

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
TC or Honest Abe,

I'm wondering if someone can give me some guidance here. I've been using Android phones for 3 years and been wanting to switch to WP8 for a while, and I think the Lumia 928 is the phone to do it for me. So my question is this. My upgrade is not available til June 30, and after issues with my Galaxy Nexus (overheating, crappy battery life, rebooting, etc) I'm not feeling too patient. Is there a way to get the phone earlier with upgrade pricing? My mom (same VZW plan) wants to port our landline over to a cell phone to save on the bill, and I was wondering if there was any way to possibly combine adding that cell line to our plan with me getting the 928 with some fancy maneuvering. I really don't know how or if this is even possible, as she would obviously prefer the "land line" cell to be a feature phone, but if anyone can think of any way I'd really really appreciate it. I want that phone on the 16th!

mox2284

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I'll be getting it on launch day. We have a verizon store on campus (Microsoft), so i'll be taking an early lunch break to go pick it up. Probably in white. I've been an Android user from day one, my first smart phone being the G1. I like the freedom that Android gave me to do dev work, but after having a kid I can't keep up with all the builds for the custom roms. Now I just want a phone that works and that I don't have to worry about. Plus after starting a Microsoft, figure I should probably be brand loyal. ;)

I can't wait for Thursday. This is the phone I've been waiting for before I made the move to WP8.

EDIT: BTW - long time lurker, first post.

i thought all microsoft employees were supposed to get L920? you werent there yet that time? =)

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
There are a few ways around the whole unlimited data thing. Basically you only lose unlimited if the contract and the phone hit the system together. So you could add a line with a 2GB plan, then pop your SIM into the new phone. That keeps the unlimited. Or if you have someone on your account with a limited plan, you can upgrade them into the new phone then switch them back to their old one and assign the new phone to your number.

So what do you do with the 'new' 2GB plan that you just signed up for to get the phone. Can you just call and cancel that new line right away? Wouldn't that put you on the hook for an ETF?.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Can somebody tell me what a sticky thread is and how it differs from a regular thread ? Thanks

A sticky thread is just one that stays at the top of the list of posts because it typically contains information that is extremely relevant or a question that is posed very frequently, often times to make sure that there aren't a million threads covering the same topic.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Throw a basic phone on there and pay $9.99 for two years.

So if I'm following you correctly.... I have a single unlimited data line right now (Nationwide 450 plan). So I:

1. Log into VZW on my normal account.
2. Add a new 2GB Share Everything line and purchase the 928 at on-contract price (2-years) for $149 ($99 after rebate).
3. Receive 928 and activate it on the new Share Everything line.
4. Activate a regular basic phone on the new Share Everything line which will 1) deactivate the 928 2) drop the data requirement for that line and 3) make the monthly charge for that line $9.99.
5. Take 928 and activate it on my unlimited data line.

Sound about right?

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi all

Like the title suggest anyone purchase the L928 or considering too buy post in here.

If you have the device post feedback to help others that are considering the device.

Happy Posting!

My wife has been bugging me since about January about when this phone would get released. Her iPhone 4 (her first smartphone) is in desperate need of replacing and she is also very unhappy with it. She says she cares the most about the camera on the phone (and being on Verizon) so this couldn't have come at a better time. She's been holding out on her upgrade since February. I've had my Lumia 710 since early April 2012. While it's decent, it isn't the best phone for showing off an OS to people that think all smartphones are iPhones. We will likely be meeting up straight from work on Thursday (otherwise heading home and then going back out). I'm excited for the $25 in free apps and having a phone that doesn't have physical back/home/search buttons (my phone at least makes a sound when they get pressed...and I don't mean an electronic one).

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
So if I'm following you correctly.... I have a single unlimited data line right now (Nationwide 450 plan). So I:

1. Log into VZW on my normal account.
2. Add a new 2GB Share Everything line and purchase the 928 at on-contract price (2-years) for $149 ($99 after rebate).
3. Receive 928 and activate it on the new Share Everything line.
4. Activate a regular basic phone on the new Share Everything line which will 1) deactivate the 928 2) drop the data requirement for that line and 3) make the monthly charge for that line $9.99.
5. Take 928 and activate it on my unlimited data line.

Sound about right?

that's correct but basic phones on Share Everything are $30 per month

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
that's correct but basic phones on Share Everything are $30 per month

Yeah I just realized this isn't going to work for me since I'm not on a family share plan.

I pay $66 a month for 450 minutes, 2000 text, and unlimited data. If I switched to the family share plan (which I think I need to be on to get the $9.99 a month basic phone line you were talking about), the lowest price I'd be looking at monthly would be $90+, which doesn't make it worth it. And as you said, Share Everything at $30 more per month is even worse.

Only option for me is to pay full retail. Oh well, worth it for the unlimited data. Really worth it if I can figure out how to keep my free 2000 text messages a month :)

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

BCS2k

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
i thought all microsoft employees were supposed to get L920? you werent there yet that time? =)

Yes, there was a cutoff date for that, and I started as a full time employee after that date. I was a vendor there for almost 4 years before converting to full time.

JammyGitz

Banned
Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I only got my ?41 a month 2 year contract in November and as you can only get maybe ?200 for the 920, probably won't be getting it

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
So yesterday I stopped in the Verizon store to order the Lumia 928. The rep had no idea what I was talking about but looked it up and verified that it was indeed coming on the 16th. I went with the black model. Getting a cover, screen protector, wireless charger as well. After my iPhone trade in and the mail in rebate I don't have to pay anything. He didn't see anything regarding the Microsoft store credit of $25 though. He said it should be available for me to pick up either Thursday or Friday.

Rick2340

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
So yesterday I stopped in the Verizon store to order the Lumia 928. The rep had no idea what I was talking about but looked it up and verified that it was indeed coming on the 16th. I went with the black model. Getting a cover, screen protector, wireless charger as well. After my iPhone trade in and the mail in rebate I don't have to pay anything. He didn't see anything regarding the Microsoft store credit of $25 though. He said it should be available for me to pick up either Thursday or Friday.

I like how Verizon is supposedly the best carrier yet you always hear stories how clueless the store reps are.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
They're commissionable sales people. Knowing about phones does not build their paycheck.

Also, I can confirm the $25 credit. Any rep who opens the intranet can find that info no problem if they put a tiny bit of effort into it.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
That almost sounds like a pre-order. Can anyone just pop into a coprporate Verizon store and order the phone before Thursday ?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I actually change my answer. I will get the 928 IF there is no catwalk with equal or better camera and thinner body on Verizon.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Catwalk will not be announced for Verizon. If I am wrong I will follow hopmedic's lead and force myself to eat a ribeye!

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Contract is up in late June, as soon as I can come up with money for the switch for both me and the wife, I will be moving to VZ and getting this phone. Hope to have colors by then, but if not, then a black one for me. White is not to my taste. Cyan would be nice though.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720