Ask me about the Lumia 928

McSlappy

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Starting this thread to provide answers to questions about the Lumia 928. I cannot provide any information on future Nokia products or features that may or may not be coming. I can answer technical questions about the 928.

I have posted numerous videos and pictures in other threads showing the audio and video recording capabilities as well as the xenon flash performance.

What else do you want to know or see?
Is it worth the price. I've found the Windows Phone system doesn't have a lot of the features I use daily on my Galaxy Nexus. The camera looks awesome little hesitant to buy a Windows Phone especially at full release prices for last years model which this seems to basically be a 920 released last year with a new case.

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Is the black a Matte finish?
Have you had any reboot issues?
Is the screen a good as the 920 in daylight?
The white is high gloss, does it feel slippery at all?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
You cant talk about software versions, I know but, can you confirm it has a FM radio on it ? This was something that Microsoft has claimed "it's coming in the next update" and that is was software, not hardware needed to enable this feature on ALL WP8 devices.

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Is the black a Matte finish?
Have you had any reboot issues?
Is the screen a good as the 920 in daylight?
The white is high gloss, does it feel slippery at all?
Yes, No, Yes, this is subjective...I don't think it is slippery but it is gloss so it won't be like a soft-touch paint that is rubbery.

Any issues with the phone heating up?
No

Is it worth the price. I've found the Windows Phone system doesn't have a lot of the features I use daily on my Galaxy Nexus. The camera looks awesome little hesitant to buy a Windows Phone especially at full release prices for last years model which this seems to basically be a 920 released last year with a new case.
What are the features you use on the Nexus that are not available?

Is it possible to tell if the phone is SIM unlocked, and what bands are listed on the box?
No bands listed on the box, but Nokia site says: CDMA bands 2, 5; GSM 1800, 850, 900, 1900MHz; WCDMA 900, 1700-2100, 2100, 1900, 850MHz (and Verizon LTE)
I'm not sure about SIM, I assume Verizon would do the same thing as the 822 but I am not sure.

how is the front camera compared to the 8x? its to my understanding the 8x took better pics and had better video quality with the front cam on the 8x vs the 920
Same front camera as the 920

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As for the phone being carrier unlocked, part of the agreement that Verizon agreed to when they purchased Band C of the 700 MHz band for LTE was that the phones using that band cannot be locked to the carrier, or that they can be unlocked from the carrier. If you look at the terms of the Verizon user agreement, it tells you the code to unlock it if it is not a device that uses a SIM:
My Wireless Device

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, during the first six (6) months after activation, it can only be used for Prepaid Service. The iPhone 4 is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term.​

Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless

McSlappy

May 8, 2013
Visit site
What are the features you use on the Nexus that are not available?

I used the convert app and it said 89% of my apps are available but wouldn't tell me which ones are not. I would like to have chrome on there for the sync between desktop and phone like I currently have but that's not huge. Ustream and Twitch streaming video are not there. I have recently seen that they have a Youtube app which is okay now. I don't know about Netflix. I haven't been able to find authentication apps. I use Google Authentication to authenticate to several different accounts. TeamSpeak and Ventrilo I use a lot on the phone. I need to have Gchat period. That is a deal breaker but correct me if I'm wrong IM+ is an app that can do that? Finally a Swipe style keyboard with voice recognition. When I was trying it in the store voice recognition would only work in the email app. The Microsoft rep said windows phone doesn't allow 3rd party keyboards.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You're not going to see swype. Period. The rest of what you're asking is possible, but depends on development by those other companies. IM+ I can't speak to, as I don't use it. Oh - Netflix is there, and is good (it was good the last time I used it, which was before the big broo-ha-ha when they raised the price and I fired them). Other than that, I'd go to www.windowsphone.com and search for the apps you want, to see what's available.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
You're not going to see swype. Period. The rest of what you're asking is possible, but depends on development by those other companies. IM+ I can't speak to, as I don't use it. Oh - Netflix is there, and is good (it was good the last time I used it, which was before the big broo-ha-ha when they raised the price and I fired them). Other than that, I'd go to www.windowsphone.com and search for the apps you want, to see what's available.

Curious about why no Swype... even Nokia Belle (formerly Symbian) has it...
Dont Nokia/Samsung own 50% each or something? (or did...)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It's just one of the decisions Microsoft made, to not allow the keyboard to be accessed/substituted by API for third party developers, which I assume is most likely part of their security strategy. It's been asked for since day one, but it's not going to come. I think if you take a bit of time to get to know the keyboard, though, you'll be impressed. It's better than ANY of the stock keyboards. (I've never used Swype).

warreo

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
long time lurker who couldn't pass up the chance to ask a couple of questions:

1) Is the GPU still Adreno 225 or upgraded to 320?
2) Is the screen pentile or RGB (I imagine a lot of people interested in this one)?

Thanks EDM!

Not sure if you missed my questions earlier (or maybe you saw it and can't answer them at this time) but I'd figure I'd give them a bump in case you simply missed them.

McSlappy

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. As long as the CardDAV and CalDAV is still coming then that should be good. Was there an app for Gtalk? I can do without the Swipe.

Also I heard there there was some issue with whenever the phone would go to sleep it would loose Wi-Fi till you woke it up again? How is battery drain with Skype running?

CBAviator

May 8, 2013
Visit site
You mentioned something about the back being scratch proof -- just wanted to confirm this was true and that you weren't just referring to the camera lens components??? Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99