Ask me about the Lumia 928

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Starting this thread to provide answers to questions about the Lumia 928. I cannot provide any information on future Nokia products or features that may or may not be coming. I can answer technical questions about the 928.

I have posted numerous videos and pictures in other threads showing the audio and video recording capabilities as well as the xenon flash performance.

What else do you want to know or see?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I just want to know if the phone is worth the wait? Many of us have been following every rumor... It looks great in pictures but is it really the top notch phone we have been craving?

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for creating this thread :)
Can you tell which firmware / hardware versions show up in your phone/about?
I am going to wait on this one until I am 100% sure what versions are shipping at launch.

Does it come loaded with GDR2? What changes does gdr2 include?

What are the 2 exclusive apps that are rumored to launch with the 928?
I won't be much help on the software/app questions, sorry.

The videos I posted are mono, just like the 920 currently records.

I just want to know if the phone is worth the wait? Many of us have been following every rumor... It looks great in pictures but is it really the top notch phone we have been craving?
This really depends on what you value in a phone. Every phone has its trade-offs; the 928 is the perfect phone for me. I capture and share lots of pictures and videos, I like my phone to fit in my pocket, I listen to music, use my phone for navigation, I have no home phone so I need it to make calls as well and it does a great job at that :)

-NFC and Wireless charging are features I did not previously have in my phone so I did not think they were a big deal; I have gone 180 on this and use them daily. Plugging in a cord is not a big deal but the convenience factor of dropping your phone on a plate or in a stand at your desk is really nice. Also NFC pairing with devices takes less taps on the screen than just bluetooth and the "tap to share" feature can be really useful.
-Photos/Videos: see my posts in the other thread, I think the quality really sets this phone apart from the competition. It is the first phone I am aware of that has OIS and Xenon, pictures in the dark or low light are now actually usable rather than the blurred mess we are used to seeing posted to facebook every weekend. The two-stage shutter button is great and I like being able to launch the camera from anywhere with a press of the button.
-Audio: The speaker is loud! This means louder ringer, speakerphone, video playback or listening to tunes. It is loud enough that you can set it on a table and fill the room with music. The speaker porting is on the curved portion of the back surface and is not blocked when setting it on a flat surface.
-Design/build/cool-factor: The pictures of this phone don't really do it justice, to appreciate it you really need to hold it in your hand and swipe around the screen. The design is pure genius; the front window is curved and falls towards the top/bottom and sides. The glass has a subtle pillowed shape that mimics the back surface of the phone but less pronounced. The back surface has a scratch-proof ceramic deco (no raised camera area) and the xenon flash lens has tiny facets that catch the light. The square edges and boxy shape do not feel sharp in the hand and the size of the phone fits great in my hand. The flat sides also have the bonus that you can set the phone on its edge for steady recording or to playback audio/video.

I guess that was an answer to why this phone is the phone I have been waiting for, if you like similar things in a phone then I am sure you will also be happy with it as well!

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
How's the battery life? If you could compare it with another phone that'd be great!

Battery life is really good, I don't have hard data for comparisons with other phones but I never seem to find myself without any juice.
When I was filming at the concert that some of the videos I posted came from, over 6hrs I captured 100 pictures, ~75 minutes of 1080p video, made calls, posted to facebook/twitter and still had enough juice to look up the nearest In and Out/gas station and navigate home.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
In and Out

Getting some tonight :smile:

thanks for all the info once more. So they still haven't unlock the stereo recording.. that is a shame. Maybe they can correct the spec sheet on the Nokia US website then..

Do you know if they are planning on enabling it at some point ? The hardware is obviously there, 2 or 3 HAAC mics, so it should be possible. The PV Phase 1 smartphone has the same set up, and it records in stereo.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Two questions for you. I see the 928 has an audio amp like the HTC 8X, any idea if that works through the headphones as well as the speaker? I love it on my 8x and that is the only thing that may give me pause before buying the 928. Also, I completely understand why you would be hesitant to talk firmware/software ahead of shipment, but any chance you can confirm that your 928 is running 8.0.10211.204...?

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Getting some tonight :smile:

thanks for all the info once more. So they still haven't unlock the stereo recording.. that is a shame. Maybe they can correct the spec sheet on the Nokia US website then..

Do you know if they are planning on enabling it at some point ? The hardware is obviously there, 2 or 3 HAAC mics, so it should be possible. The PV Phase 1 smartphone has the same set up, and it records in stereo.
I said that the video I posted (taken in March) was mono, not sure that is enough to say that the official Nokia spec sheet is incorrect, we will have to look into it. I have no idea what the plan is for enabling stereo/surround recording, this is a software/microsoft question.

Two questions for you. I see the 928 has an audio amp like the HTC 8X, any idea if that works through the headphones as well as the speaker? I love it on my 8x and that is the only thing that may give me pause before buying the 928. Also, I completely understand why you would be hesitant to talk firmware/software ahead of shipment, but any chance you can confirm that your 928 is running 8.0.10211.204...?
-In the advanced audio settings you can enable the Dolby Headphone feature, it makes a pretty big difference and I have been really happy with the sound quality.
-Sorry, will have to wait on the second question.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
ok, please clear something up for me :)
The screen type is....?
I only ask because i have seen some web bloggers who are convinced its nor amoled, because they say they see a backlight turn on/off in the Ifi Majid hands on video :)
I know what i have seen in MANY locations for specs - all of those are Nokia specs pages...but would like to hear your opinion :)
Does it have the 60Hz refresh that the 920 does?

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
ok, please clear something up for me :)
The screen type is....?
I only ask because i have seen some web bloggers who are convinced its nor amoled, because they say they see a backlight turn on/off in the Ifi Majid hands on video :)
I know what i have seen in MANY locations for specs - all of those are Nokia specs pages...but would like to hear your opinion :)
Does it have the 60Hz refresh that the 920 does?
I don't have the refresh rate information for you, but I can confirm it is an AMOLED not LCD display.

Any issues that the 920 suffered like dust on the ffc?
I believe there was a fix to the 920 to solve this issue a while back. I will say that this was on our radar during development of the 928.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
how is the front camera compared to the 8x? its to my understanding the 8x took better pics and had better video quality with the front cam on the 8x vs the 920

warreo

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
long time lurker who couldn't pass up the chance to ask a couple of questions:

1) Is the GPU still Adreno 225 or upgraded to 320?
2) Is the screen pentile or RGB (I imagine a lot of people interested in this one)?

Thanks EDM!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion