Is this phone worth the upgrade from an 8X?

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I always say once i get a phone, I dont get another one for at least 2 years. Computer i try to last 5 years. Of course i always buy top of the line when i purchase.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon (T-Mobile customer here), but I'll answer. Of course it is! Why? Because it's a Nokia device, which means you'll get quality. You also get great exclusive apps and support for the device as you receive regular updates and such. You won't get the same from HTC.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon (T-Mobile customer here), but I'll answer. Of course it is! Why? Because it's a Nokia device, which means you'll get quality. You also get great exclusive apps and support for the device as you receive regular updates and such. You won't get the same from HTC.
I'm also on Tmobile and I dint know if your using an 8X or not, but the only things that will make me DEFINITELY get a international 928 or the recent 925 would be a storage upgrade. The camera isn't that big of a need for me. My 8X has been receiving regular updates quickly and HTC has been answering me support tickets REALLY fast and in a very caring manner. The storage though man ): I need SD Card or 32GB.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Nokia fan, but you can't hate on the 8x! That phone is a quality handset that has received the same updates as the 920, looks just as good (Imo looks way better) and is thinner, lighter, and smaller.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys! I'm leaning towards the 928 for a couple reasons. Sorry I didn't go into these before, I was on the go when I posted this originally.

One is that I scored a wicked deal on my 8X from a Verizon employee. He basically had it sitting in his house brand new for months now. It was essentially brand new when I bought it off him, even the IMEI sticker was clean and on the back of the phone. I can tell it was never used. I got it for $150. So my thinking is I can flip it for probably almost double that on Swappa. I also just sold my Droid DNA for $410 on Swappa. So I can get the 928 retail and still come out on top.

Two is that I really think that I will enjoy the Nokia camera and exclusive apps. I really like the way the phone looks as well and I have always liked AMOLED screens.

Thoughts?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the responses guys! I'm leaning towards the 928 for a couple reasons. Sorry I didn't go into these before, I was on the go when I posted this originally.

One is that I scored a wicked deal on my 8X from a Verizon employee. He basically had it sitting in his house brand new for months now. It was essentially brand new when I bought it off him, even the IMEI sticker was clean and on the back of the phone. I can tell it was never used. I got it for $150. So my thinking is I can flip it for probably almost double that on Swappa. I also just sold my Droid DNA for $410 on Swappa. So I can get the 928 retail and still come out on top.

Two is that I really think that I will enjoy the Nokia camera and exclusive apps. I really like the way the phone looks as well and I have always liked AMOLED screens.

Thoughts?

Well it seems like you like the newest tech, so yeah go for it! Not a huge upgrade but if you have the money and want the tech, it'll be the top Windows Phone at its launch!

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Well it seems like you like the newest tech, so yeah go for it! Not a huge upgrade but if you have the money and want the tech, it'll be the top Windows Phone at its launch!

You summed me up perfectly lol. I love the newest tech and if I can afford it then I go for it. I can't even tell you how many Android phones that I've had this year lol. It got to the point that I just grew tired of it and realized that WP seems like a better fit for me. I will definitely give it a go!

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Nokia fan, but you can't hate on the 8x! That phone is a quality handset that has received the same updates as the 920, looks just as good (Imo looks way better) and is thinner, lighter, and smaller.

I keep seeing people talk down about the 8X, it is a great phone. I had the 822 and all the Nokia apps, I personally, I didn't find that I really needed or used many of them. The 8X gets updates and it even got portico before the 822. I have read many stories here about defective 920 so there have been some issues with those. Now if you really need the storage space, yes the 928 has more. Personally though, I love my 8X and don't need the storage space and am not tempted by the 928.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Do what makes you happy. You don't need us to determine "what", that is. At the end of the day that is all that matters.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
In a nut shell, the software for the most part is going to be exactly the same as your 8X (Windows Phone 8 with out some exclusive apps). The camera is better on the 9XX than the HTC 8X but, the 8X can hold it's own pretty well in well lit rooms(still blows away my wife's iPhone 4) . The screen is a little bigger and it's got a better flash than the 8X.

The 8X is a great phone, sleak design with some coolness factor. The 928 is a larger phone. If you NEED to

1. Nave a Nokia
2. Have a little better camera
3. A little bigger display

Then by all means upgrade but, justify the balance of the cost and features, then you can figure out of you really need to upgrade.

Then upgrade but, day to day using the OS, you wont see any difference.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
While the hardware is roughly equivalent, the fact remains that Nokia's support for their hardware and customers greatly exceeds HTC. The hardware on my 920 is great, Nokia is committed to their hardware and proves it with numerous system tweaks and updates, plus Nokia also offers exclusive (and good) Lumia apps. I'll never buy anything other than a Lumia until other OEMs step their game up.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
New Android devices often incorporate small incremental improvements, even if they are released within weeks of each other. That just isn't true of WP. All core hardware and software within a generation is identical or at least very similar. Given this situation (even as a NOK shareholder) I don't think the difference merits an upgrade.

I would stick with the 8x and get a Nokia Lumia device with the next hardware/software update cycle, which is expected this fall (Nokia EOS with GDR3).

Of course if money is of no concern, and you would spend on an EOS either way, then why care? Get whatever you want right now ;-)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
While the hardware is roughly equivalent, the fact remains that Nokia's support for their hardware and customers greatly exceeds HTC. The hardware on my 920 is great, Nokia is committed to their hardware and proves it with numerous system tweaks and updates, plus Nokia also offers exclusive (and good) Lumia apps. I'll never buy anything other than a Lumia until other OEMs step their game up.

But, if you had a 8X would you change phones with the same OS and general features for the cost balance ? No question that Nokia support for their devices is better but, as a HTC 8X owner, I have gotten all Microsoft updates in the same time frame as Nokias have. If the 928 was a 8.5 device with new features or something, AKA a new phone, it might be a must have.

The question was, if you had a 8X would you spend the balance of the money to move to a 928 ?

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
But, if you had a 8X would you change phones with the same OS and general features for the cost balance ? No question that Nokia support for their devices is better but, as a HTC 8X owner, I have gotten all Microsoft updates in the same time frame as Nokias have. If the 928 was a 8.5 device with new features or something, AKA a new phone, it might be a must have.

The question was, if you had a 8X would you spend the balance of the money to move to a 928 ?

Personally, i wouldn't. I have never had a problem with HTC support. (Sidenote: i think most ppl that claim no HTC support don't currently own an HTC device) Also, the storage is the same 16gb, screen is not significantly bigger, device is not thinner than the 8x, and wireless charging is not necessarily built in...so the question is probably a more personal decision: Would you switch for the aluminum feel and improved camera? If so, then wonderful! Personally, I just wouldn't...but to each its own. :)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
No, unless money really isn't an issue for you. It's a current generation device built against the same OS and hardware chassis. If you have to upgrade, I'd still suggest waiting for GDR3, which is supposed to bring a spec refresh.

EDMmmmmmm

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Why:
-Camera
-Flash
-Microphones
-Speaker
-Display
-Nokia Apps
-Nokia Quality/Support

It is worth it if these things are important to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney