Switched from iPhone and can't receive group texts sent from iPhones

cmr12390

May 14, 2013
Visit site
So I just switched from the iPhone 4S to the Lumia 920. I can send and recieve messages just fine to any phone, but my groups aren't coming through. They are being sent from other iPhone users. AT&T says its not there fault, Im assuming that all of my contacts still think I have an iPhone, but lets be real, I can't ask ALL of my contacts to change my info. Suggestions?!?!?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Where you getting messages through iMessage when you had your iphone? I know it looks the exact same almost. That could be why you aren't getting them.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
iMessage only works on iphones/ipads/etc. iMessage is like any messaging service. They are messages sent through data, not text message. If everyone you know uses it, you will be left out unless you go back to apple.

cmr12390

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes I know that, I'm wondering if there is anyway to tell my contacts that I'm not using iMessage anymore without physically telling them, just having their phones know

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh I got you. I don't think there is anything for Android, WP, etc. that can communicate with iMessage in anyway. You will probably just have to text message them to use your phone number from now on. For fun I was using an iPhone with my 920 for a little bit. I ran into the same sort of problem,

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Lumia can handle group text messages, they just have to be actual text messages. Think you can convince your friends to do it that way?

cmr12390

May 14, 2013
Visit site
The problem is 600+ contacts and probably a group message involving at least 50-60 so talking to them directly isn't much of an option

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Uh that shouldn't be a problem. My friend (cause Verizon doesn't allow WP group messaging) on AT&T group texts iPhones all the time. It's not your phones fault. It does group chat just like any other non iPhone.

Idk how iChat works but I think you have to turn it off on your old iPhone for you to receive responses or else your friends are just responding to you via iChat... which you don't have on your Lumia. Like I said, idk what iChat is but that is a solution I have heard before

cmr12390

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Yea but the iphone has already been reset to factory settings and no longer in my possession so my number should not be recognized as having iMessage right??

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a mac? you might need to get into imessage and delete your phone number from it. Also, I would go to iMore's forums and ask them. Chances are they will be able to give you a good answer.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yea but the iphone has already been reset to factory settings and no longer in my possession so my number should not be recognized as having iMessage right??

Idk, never used it lol. For iMessage, is there a username involved? Or does it just use your phone number? Is there a separate listing in your contact for iMessage instead of text message?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss