Lumia 925: A "Flagship Device" with just 16GB internal storage and NO microSD support

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
No MicroSD..no sale. Guess I'll wait for the 930 or whatever it will be called and see how it looks. 810 is still working fine..would like the spiffy new camera but if I can't fit all my stuff there's no sense in "upgrading".

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
I am considering a full wipe of my 8X due to the limitation of 16GB. It wasn't an issue on my iPhone 4 because I had 2GB free most of the time, but with the "Other" storage taking up a huge chunk of what would be free space, 16 GB doesn't cut it. I feel they should have spec'd the new devices to work around that issue.

You are assuming that this issue will not be fixed with GDR2

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I am in love with the lumia 925 design, small weight, and capabilities, but this 16gb storage is ridiculous and will turn into a huge debacle, Nokia seems to be trying to cut corners on a device that is a "High-End Flagship" where cutting corners is unheard of. Most OEM's pack as much specs as possible into their flagship devices, and memory isn't a space issue, its a cost issue. NOKIA, PLEASE PUT IN A MINIMUM OF 32GB OF STORAGE IN ALL OF YOUR FLAGSHIPS!!!

T-Mobile made the decision to carry on 16GB version based on iPhone5 sale where the 16Gb was the most popular version. Nokia make two versions: 16 and 32GB. T-Mobile decide not to carry the 32GB version. Contract has already been signed to for only having the 16GB in the U.S. I going to wait for the 32GB from Roger or some other Canadian that carries the 925 with 32Gb and buy it and unlock it so I use it on T-Mobile!

Nokia has nothing to do with T-Mobile carrying only the 16GB and not the 32GB version. T-Mobile only wanted the 16GB.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe vodafone wanted it to be exclusive to them.

Vodafone is only in EU! Does no consumer business in the U.S. T-Mobile could get the 32GB if they wanted it since they do no consumer business in the EU! Both are exclusive marketplace with no overlap. T-Mobile decided upon the 16GB only model based on sales of the iPhone5 16GB which is the most popular version.

Last edited:

Eddie_Lomax

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think the 16Gb of storage is ok, but the biggest problem is no MicroSD slot.

Its a problem because they are marketing the top end Lumia's for their photographic prowess, which is far better then their competition. But if you take just one big long film then the bulk of that 16Gb of storage is going to be filled up. The Lumia team really do start to need to think about their flagship devices partly as cameras, adding in the MicroSD slot for a small extra cost would instantly remove all the storage problems it will run into as a Camera (and also with the maps storage make it even better as a smartphone/music player).

Personally I'm still part way through my Lumia 900 contract, and my next phone is going to be something EOS like, but if both options were the same price I would pick 16Gb with a MicroSD over 32Gb without, probably even 64Gb would be trumped by 16Gb + MicroSD at the same prices on a pureview camera phone.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Before moving to WP8, I had owned a series of 64GB iPhones, which were usually full. I'd have bought 128 if it was available.

My enduring gripe with my HTC 8X (on T-mo) has been the 16g limitation, which has pretty much resulted in me carrying my old iPhone as a backup.

The rampant "other" storage issue on WP8 certainly hasn't helped any.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a 928, if it had an SD slot, but it doesn't. So, I was ready to pull the trigger on a 925, but not only does it not have an SD slot, but the US version only has a non-expandable 16????

??

If I want inadequate, I can stick with my 8X.

Nokia said they didn't want to compromise the design. Well, I don't give a crap how it looks if it can't do the job. That's why I'm moving away from Apple.

Thinking really seriously about getting a 521 and putting s 64GB SD card in it. Of course then, half my apps probably won't work in only 512MB of RAM.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
There is no way I can live with 16GB, but I guess most people out there don't need more than 16... online radio helps a bunch, people listen to Pandora and other services like that, so they don't store music on their phones.

I have 16gb + 64sd card in my 808 ... over 45GB of music, and tons of pictures and videos

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
16GB doesn't make any sense... I don't know what's wrong with Nokia, but it seems like their old days of trying to save money on silly things like that are not over.

Verizon got the best "920 variant" .. good for them :)

That xenon flash alone puts in well ahead..

One thing on the camera that's present in Lumia 925 is the 6th lens that's not available on Lumia 928. We will see just what kind of difference it really makes.

I'm still confused how will this 16GB and 32GB model be handled here in Europe. Especially with the large unlocked market. Can we buy the 32GB model?

There is no way I can live with 16GB, but I guess most people out there don't need more than 16... online radio helps a bunch, people listen to Pandora and other services like that, so they don't store music on their phones.

I have 16gb + 64sd card in my 808 ... over 45GB of music, and tons of pictures and videos

Thinking the industry leading music quality via 3.5mm and that camera, you can not help to fill that phone with videos, music and photos. I sure have. :D

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Who is the market?
It is a more classy "classic" device than the 920, 928... So who will buy these phones? Will it be hardcore WP users? No!

This Lumia 925 is a device designed to get Nokia in to the suits world where the 920, 928 are a bit too big and too heavy.
Also it will be more appealing to ladies who have smaller hands.
Using an Aluminum frame and three classic colors gives Nokia access to a different market and the ability to create custom colored (Anodized) frames.
I remind you that Microsoft wants to get WP8 into the corporate world.

Now, do these users need 32 or 64 Gb for their corporate phone? I one word... NO.

If the product sells well, Nokia can promote 32 and 64 Gb versions down the road for hardcore WP8 fans. A question of having enough volume to justify those devices.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Who is the market?
It is a more classy "classic" device than the 920, 928... So who will buy these phones? Will it be hardcore WP users? No!

This Lumia 925 is a device designed to get Nokia in to the suits world where the 920, 928 are a bit too big and too heavy.
Also it will be more appealing to ladies who have smaller hands.
Using an Aluminum frame and three classic colors gives Nokia access to a different market and the ability to create custom colored (Anodized) frames.
I remind you that Microsoft wants to get WP8 into the corporate world.

Now, do these users need 32 or 64 Gb for their corporate phone? I one word... NO.

If the product sells well, Nokia can promote 32 and 64 Gb versions down the road for hardcore WP8 fans. A question of having enough volume to justify those devices.

I have to agree...before the 925, the only silver colored wp 8 device was the Ativ S. When the HTC one was leaked, before it was even released, ppl commented, "Why doesn't Nokia make a thinner aluminum device?" Sure its not the HTC one of Windows Phone, but its an answer to a design that was much asked about. The fact that it was implemented as a design concept last year when they started the design process for the 925 says that Nokia was at least slightly ahead of the trend. There are those that don't want colored devices...there are those that don't need 32/64 GB. There are those that may need an awesome camera and that want a Nokia. Those are the ones that will appreciate the broad portfolio that Nokia has now introduced in its Lumia line.

Again, this was about choices, and Nokia has pumped out many Windows 8 devices this year...and there's more to come. I'm actually excited to see what's beyond the 920 series! :)

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree...before the 925, the only silver colored wp 8 device was the Ativ S. When the HTC one was leaked, before it was even released, ppl commented, "Why doesn't Nokia make a thinner aluminum device?" Sure its not the HTC one of Windows Phone, but its an answer to a design that was much asked about. The fact that it was implemented as a design concept last year when they started the design process for the 925 says that Nokia was at least slightly ahead of the trend. There are those that don't want colored devices...there are those that don't need 32/64 GB. There are those that may need an awesome camera and that want a Nokia. Those are the ones that will appreciate the broad portfolio that Nokia has now introduced in its Lumia line.

Again, this was about choices, and Nokia has pumped out many Windows 8 devices this year...and there's more to come. I'm actually excited to see what's beyond the 920 series! :)

I can see some much improved Nokia hardware for this late years shopping season! Stuff for the real WP fans.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It is a very pretty phone. I bet 16 gig is enough for my applications and such. But I want to put a significant amount of music on the phone and have plenty of space for video. Therefore I am pretty disappointed with the decision to go with just 16 gig.....

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
drbank,

""Thinking really seriously about getting a 521 and putting s 64GB SD card in it. Of course then, half my apps probably won't work in only 512MB of RAM.

WP8 new update will probably let you move your apps in to the SD card.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Its weird, because HTC stated that according to their research, 16 GB suited most ppl. Ppl argued that that notion was insane...nokia decided that some ppl just don't need 32 GB of storage (Though I believe an option for 32gb would have been ideal.) But, if you watched the press event, Ms. Jo stated that Nokia worked with each carrier to develop their own flagship version. The 16 GB variant could have very well been a T-Mobile decision...

It wouldn't surprise me (the 16gb research).

But perhaps it's more the case that the carriers don't want Windows Phones to tread on spec-led phones...

Yes, I am Conspiracy Brother.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Personally I think the 16Gb of storage is ok, but the biggest problem is no MicroSD slot.

Its a problem because they are marketing the top end Lumia's for their photographic prowess, which is far better then their competition. But if you take just one big long film then the bulk of that 16Gb of storage is going to be filled up. The Lumia team really do start to need to think about their flagship devices partly as cameras, adding in the MicroSD slot for a small extra cost would instantly remove all the storage problems it will run into as a Camera (and also with the maps storage make it even better as a smartphone/music player).
EXACTLY! I love taking photos (and increasingly, from my readily-available smartphone, videos). My 810 sucks at photos so I prefer using my dSLR (which can't always be with me, unfortunately). I don't use much of that microSD on my 810 BECAUSE the camera sucks. But now give me the 925 and show me this impressive camera with OIS, far larger range of ISO speeds, etc. etc... plus the new camera app they're pushing... no doubt I'm going to fill this sucker up fast! And if I'm doing this "on the go", as tends to happen with mobile phones, I may not have a way to sync all this stuff back to my computer and have to start deleting photos and/or video. And we all know it's not like we'll have 16GB of space for photos... it'll be much less after the OS, the apps, music, etc. 32 GB needs to be the bare minimum for a phone with a powerhouse camera on it. Or, at the very least, an option to choose between 16 and 32 - I'm willing to throw more money at them if it costs them more. There's no excuse there.

Harry Wild

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
"The Lumia 925 is Nokia's latest Windows Phone, along with the Lumia 928 but many have been concerned that Vodafone appears to have the 32GB version of the Lumia 925, while everyone else has to deal with 16GB of internal storage. It's now come to light that T-Mobile will also be picking up the model with 32GB of storage, which will surely please many to know that it may not be that much of an exclusivity."

I guess T-Mobile execs read this website!
I am for sure going to buy it if it in the same ballpark in price as the 928 or 920 series.
Hooray for the consumer!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb