AWS 1700/2100 on AT&T Lumia 920

anon(5324772)

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have an unlocked AT&T Lumia 920 and would like to enable AWS 1700/2100 for WIND Mobile in Canada. I have flashed in the following order using Nokia Care Suite 5.0.0 (2013.1.3):

1. Flash to Pre-Portico Rogers ROM: RM820_059Q6W4_1232.2109.1242.1002_039
  2. OTA Update to Rogers ROM (1308)
  3. Flash to European Developer ROM: RM821_059R4H6_1232.5957.1308.0002_027
  4. Flash to Rogers ROM: RM820_059Q6W4_1232.5962.1314.0000_156
  5. Flash to Global Black Swap ROM: RM821_059Q5C6_1232.5951.1249.1004_044 (No H/H+ as claimed by others, LTE disappeared from network options)
  6. Flash to Rogers ROM: RM820_059Q6W4_1232.5962.1314.0000_156

No luck bringing up WIND on AWS 1700/2100, whereas my Rogers Lumia 920 is bringing it up on 3G/4G. Everything I have seen is pretty general instructions which leaves a lot of details out so this is the best I can do. Anyone else manage to do this that can provide more detailed instructions?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Again its only about switching firmware for those who have lost their aws band because of cross flashing, it doesnt say about unlocking/enabling the aws band.

Lamenade

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Actually Wind uses the same frequencies as T-Mobile 3G / 4G (which is the AWS 1700/2100 bands). It needs both for them to work.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Any way to confirm that since the Nokia Canada and Nokia US product pages list the same WCDMA frequencies and my Rogers Lumia 920 is connecting just fine to the WIND network (I'm guessing on 2100? Any way to tell?).
i know for sure the rogers version supports aws since i am using it currently, the att version doesn't have the band and that's what in shown on the specs on nokia usa website

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
i know for sure the rogers version supports aws since i am using it currently, the att version doesn't have the band and that's what in shown on the specs on nokia usa website

The hardware is there in the AT&T version, it's just locked out. (I don't know for sure, but I figured as much since around the time that the 920 was coming out; the "American" LTE variants that all share the same model number having it except the AT&T version, and flashing the AT&T ROM to a device that supports AWS locks down the AWS, even after flashing back to a ROM that supported AWS, which is very fishy.)

I saw this on XDA earlier... (I will be doing it myself, once my 920 returns from Nokia Care.) Here, in fact: [Q] How can I get AWS bands back on a bricked Rogers Lumia 920? - Page 7 - xda-developers

To follow up my previous post: after flashing some more, I managed to enable the AWS band on my AT&T Lumia 920. Unless T-Mobile lit up a 1900 tower just in the few minutes that the phone was rebooting after flashing GLOBAL BLACK SWAP, I am certain that I can now use 3G on AWS with it. For those who are interested, here is what I did to my AT&T Lumia 920:

start off with a Portico AT&T ROM (OTA-updated a few weeks ago on the still locked phone)
remove SIM unlock with AT&T provided unlock code
flash pre-Portico Rogers ROM
OTA-update to Portico Rogers ROM
flash Portico EURO1 DEV ROM (RM-821!)
flash Portico Rogers ROM
flash Portico LTA1 MX ROM
flash Portico GLOBAL BLACK SWAP ROM (RM-821!) ---> saw H, H+ indicator after this!!!
flash Portico Rogers ROM ---> 4G indicator

While flashing the LTA1 MX ROM (the Latin America ROMs are nicely debranded RM-820 ROMs but don't support LTE, at least in their cellular settings for highest connection speed), I decided for whatever reason to just give another RM-821 ROM a try and went for the GLOBAL BLACK SWAP. Maybe flashing EURO1 DEV again would have also done the trick as well and just flashing back and forth somehow enabled AWS. I don't know exactly what caused it but I am happy AWS works on the AT&T Lumia 920. This phone now certainly is the ?berphone

I see that you've tried to do the same thing on that thread, Colin. I can't be of any help yet, (as I have yet to try it,) but I will try it very soon and report back if it works or not. (I use T-Mobile here in the US, so this would be quite useful to me too. :smile:)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah you can try, i am still skeptical about it though. Also check the uarfcn by dialing ##3282#, it will show whether it actually using aws bands or refarmed 1900 bands.

All the best!

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I'll have to check that way anyway, as I completely doubt that the 2G-only zone I'm living in will magically be refarmed with AT&T-compatible 3G, when there isn't even any T-Mobile-compatible 3G. I can travel 40 minutes to a bigger city and get T-Mobile 3G/4G, so I'll check that way too. (I have a Lumia 710 on T-Mobile as well, so that's a good way to find if my area has 4G or not in the future.)

Also, the instructions at XDA are not very clear, but I've at least found and downloaded all of the ROMs that I think correctly match what was used. (Actually, I'm still downloading the pre-Portico Rogers ROM - the most difficult for me to find as it's not on Navifirm.)

My uneducated guess is that the Mexican country variant ROM (which has no LTE at all) somehow resets the lock on the devices' LTE, so flashing it with the black swap enables LTE again, without locking the AWS, and flashing with Rogers gets you the final firmware. Maybe flashing to Rogers after flashing to MX CV will also work, skipping over the black swap. Maybe the MX CV is the key behind it all. Though, I'm unsure if flashing to pre-portico Rogers and then Euro-dev is required, (like flashing the German firmware to the Lumia 710 was required in order to do anything else with it or something along those lines. I'm fairly new to this.) I'll make a thread on it if I am successful, maybe I'll try some of the questionable ways I just thought of too - maybe this could be much easier to achieve.

Also, Colin, it looks like you skipped the MX CV firmware, which I believe may be the key to the entire thing. The device codes are here, if you want to download the latest versions of it in the Nokia Care Suite (or Navifirm if you have a cache that includes everything):

1232.5951.1249.1001 - I think this is the latest version of it, and I think this is the one used by the person on XDA.
RM-820 VAR AMERICA LTA1 MX CV BLACK (059S0M8)
RM-820 VAR AMERICA LTA1 MX CV RED (059S3M2)
RM-820 VAR AMERICA LTA1 MX CV WHITE (059S0M9)
RM-820 VAR AMERICA LTA1 MX CV YELLOW (059S0N0)

I figure the colour variants don't matter at all, the only time colour could even matter is when you flash the final ROM to it at the very end, but I downloaded the yellow one for mine anyway, as I have a yellow 920.

[EDIT 5-17-13] I should have my 920 back sometime early next week. I'm going to first try flashing to the MX CV then Rogers, based on my hypothesis that the MX CV is the key to it all. (It appears that people only flash to the MX CV if they want an unbranded ROM, and don't care for LTE, but I've never heard of someone on AT&T flashing to the MX CV and then flashing to Rogers; it could very well work!) If it doesn't work, I'm just going to follow the steps in the XDA thread exact.

Last edited:

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I won't be getting my 920 back from Nokia Care for a couple of days still.

Don't worry; my 710 on 7.8 is slow and freezing constantly, (which never used to happen,) so I'm quite eager to get my 920 back, then unlocked, then this tried to see if it works. :grin:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I won't be getting my 920 back from Nokia Care for a couple of days still.

Don't worry; my 710 on 7.8 is slow and freezing constantly, (which never used to happen,) so I'm quite eager to get my 920 back, then unlocked, then this tried to see if it works. :grin:

Try flashing one of the unbranded 8862 ROMs from India, they are quite stable/fast and you get bluetooth sharing out of the box.

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Try flashing one of the unbranded 8862 ROMs from India, they are quite stable/fast and you get bluetooth sharing out of the box.

I'm going to be flashing it back to the official 7.5 release, and giving it to a friend once I get my 920 up and running. (An upgrade to the horrible "smart-phone" that was free on their two-year contract.)

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
So my 920 arrived yesterday. Let's do this!

Pre-portico Rogers is now installed.
OTA Rogers update is now installed.
Euro Developer ROM is now installed.
Portico Rogers is now installed.
LTA1 MX CV Portico now being installed.
Global Black Swap Portico is now installed.

Up next: Flash to Portico Rogers. (Not doing this step yet because I supposedly already have AWS with the Black Swap.)

I have no way of knowing if AWS is enabled or not right now, so tomorrow I'll venture out to the closest big city with T-Mobile (non-refarmed) 3G/4G. Also might flash to the LTA1 MX CV ROM again instead of Rogers, if AWS works on it. (I know LTE doesn't, but I'd rather be carrier free, and LTE will be unavailable and useless to me for years to come anyway.)

Last edited:

Frank Chau

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I have trouble flashing my att 920. I keep getting an error: 0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

Anybody know what the cause of that problem is?

Anthony Vangeli

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have trouble flashing my att 920. I keep getting an error: 0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

Anybody know what the cause of that problem is?

Of all the problems I ran into at the beginning, I didn't run into this one. Shouldn't have trouble flashing other ROMS to it, (I just did it many times.)

Try this: start the recovery, and do what this image says at the same time.
how-to-soft-reset-the-nokia-lumia-920.jpg
If your phone is in the wrong USB mode, this might help with it. (I think people run into the error you are running into when the phone isn't connected in the right USB mode. I could be very wrong, but it's worth a shot.) Timing might be off, but if Nokia Care Suite asks for you to redo the reset in the image above, then you've got it. (After doing the reset again and clicking retry in the program, of course.) If you get thrown the same error, then I've got nothing. :-/

Duffau

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So my 920 arrived yesterday. Let's do this!

Pre-portico Rogers is now installed.
OTA Rogers update is now installed.
Euro Developer ROM is now installed.
Portico Rogers is now installed.
LTA1 MX CV Portico now being installed.
Global Black Swap Portico is now installed.

Up next: Flash to Portico Rogers. (Not doing this step yet because I supposedly already have AWS with the Black Swap.)

I have no way of knowing if AWS is enabled or not right now, so tomorrow I'll venture out to the closest big city with T-Mobile (non-refarmed) 3G/4G. Also might flash to the LTA1 MX CV ROM again instead of Rogers, if AWS works on it. (I know LTE doesn't, but I'd rather be carrier free, and LTE will be unavailable and useless to me for years to come anyway.)

We're routing for ya! Let us know if it works please =D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro