Unlocked Lumia 928?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangesplease

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Some folks have mentioned that due to previous legal agreements, Verizon is required to unlock should someone choose to do so. Thought this topic deserved its own thread for those like me who are unsure whether or not they want to stick with Verizon.

I personally am considering taking this to T-Mo if I can (looks like it supports the correct frequencies?). No huge complaints about the 925, but 928 comes out sooner and looks sleeker to me. I'm also going to be abroad in the Fall for 4.5 months in Singapore and would like a phone that could work there. Yes, life would be simpler if I would just wait for the 925, but I'm not yet on a smartphone people!!

Here's what hopmedic posted in another thread:
Likewise, the 925 is an upgrade for the TMO users.

As far as unlocked, if you look at 47 CFR 27.16 (e) you will see that for phones on Block C of the 700 MHz band (Verizon's LTE), carrier locking is prohibited. If you want to be sure to get one unlocked, buy it from Verizon.
47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | Title 47 - Telecommunication | Code of Federal Regulations | LII / Legal Information Institute

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I hope!!! I asked Daniel Rubino in twitter but hasn't respond.. I will take it to T-mobile because of the XENON FLASH!!!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Keep in mind that while they can't keep you from taking it to another carrier, there have been problems with MMS on other carriers ever since Portico on the 822. I can't say that'll carry over to the 928, or whether it won't be fixed at a later date on the 822, but before you venture too far, you may want to check out the threads on the subject in the 822 forum.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Some folks have mentioned that due to previous legal agreements, Verizon is required to unlock should someone choose to do so. Thought this topic deserved its own thread for those like me who are unsure whether or not they want to stick with Verizon.

I personally am considering taking this to T-Mo if I can (looks like it supports the correct frequencies?). No huge complaints about the 925, but 928 comes out sooner and looks sleeker to me. I'm also going to be abroad in the Fall for 4.5 months in Singapore and would like a phone that could work there. Yes, life would be simpler if I would just wait for the 925, but I'm not yet on a smartphone people!!

Here's what hopmedic posted in another thread:

Have a feeling that taking and using in Singapore might be simpler than taking it to TMo - lets hope i am wrong though...
(reason behind this - Verizon are saying this is a global phone, so it will work outside the US)

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It's going to work for voice on AT&T / T-mobile, but text/mms is another story. Currently, I can get SMS working fine on my VZW 8x on AT&T, but MMS will not go through. You are also unlikely to get tethering to ever work

xaeryan

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I'll be watching this thread closely... I'm still on contract for a while with AT&T, but would like to move to Verizon once my contract expires. So if I could buy this unlocked and use it until my contract expires... well, I'm still not saving with the unlocked price (or ETF to move now), but my impatience with my first gen Focus grows daily.

Ertonimus

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I was just at a Microsoft Store and the employees confirmed that all 928s are unlocked devices when bought at full price. They let me put my TMobile SIM in and it recognized it but it would only connect to the Edge network. I was hoping to use Access Point to configure the APN settings but it wasn't in the settings and I didn't have time to dig further and see if it was on the MS Store...

Anyone had any luck using it on T Mobile?

orangesplease

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Seeing how uncertain getting the 928 to work on other networks was, I decided to just buy a 920 off craigslist today for an awesome price and get it legally unlocked. ha ha Goodluck to the rest of you! It definitely doesn't feel like a 6 month old phone! Happy to be a WP owner in any case ^_^

Alcarnor14

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I was just at a Microsoft Store and the employees confirmed that all 928s are unlocked devices when bought at full price. They let me put my TMobile SIM in and it recognized it but it would only connect to the Edge network. I was hoping to use Access Point to configure the APN settings but it wasn't in the settings and I didn't have time to dig further and see if it was on the MS Store...

Anyone had any luck using it on T Mobile?

You aren't going to get better than edge on T-Mobile unless you are in a refarmed area, unfortunately. The radio only has quad band GSM support. There's some discussion about this in the 620 forums as well.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure when the phone was originally announced the specs listed 1700/2100 in the list of frequencies. Nokia removed those soon after but I'm willing to wager that they are in there.

krycek1984

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if Verizon will use the exact same parts of AWS spectrum so whether our AWS phone is compatible with tmobile AWS is a question mark.

leepfar

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I use my 928 with net 10 I have no issues.
APN settings: APN tfdata user name net10 Authentication PAP

MMS APN Settings: APN tfdata user name net10 Authentication PAP
WAP Gateway mms3 .tracfone. com WAP Port 80 MMSC htt p://mms-tf. net/
MMSC Port 80 MMS Size 4096
I cant post links so you will need to remove the spaces in the gateway & MMSC

I have not tried to tether but every thing else works perfect. I use iseevm (from windows store)
for voice mail. It allows you to use Androids Youmail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb