My Bricked 920 and the Microsoft Store

adebo

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Earlier this week I started to experience some issues with my 920. The screen stopped lighting up and the phone would constantly freeze. My phone would refuse to load even the simplest app (email). I decided to do a reset from the menu and my phone got stuck with the gears on the screen for well over 4 hours. I got online with Nokia support, they were very kind and understanding but completely unable to help. They wanted me send the phone away for repairs which would take 7-10 days. As I did not want to wait that long for a working phone, I decided to go back to the Microsoft store where I purchased the phone.

I originally purchased the phone on launch day back in November. I went to the counter and showed them my phone with the spinning gears and explained to them what happened. After a couple of questions they went in the back and grabbed me a brand new 920 and replaced it for me at no charge. I was in and out in under five minutes. Needless to say I was shocked since I purchased the phone over six months ago. I am a happy customer and will continue to purchase directly from the Microsoft store.

Just thought I would share.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I originally purchased the phone on launch day back in November. I went to the counter and showed them my phone with the spinning gears and explained to them what happened. After a couple of questions they went in the back and grabbed me a brand new 920 and replaced it for me at no charge. I was in and out in under five minutes. Needless to say I was shocked since I purchased the phone over six months ago. I am a happy customer and will continue to purchase directly from the Microsoft store.

Sounds like an Apple Store story, which makes it 10x better that it was an MS Store. They won't be able to DO that as much as Apple since Apple builds replacement costs right into their incredibly high price tags, but when you are buying a phone outright they are making their cash.

And besides, they probably aren't moving many 920s anymore anyway, haha. Did you get the same color?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The phones have a one year warranty. You can either go directly through your carrier (if purchased from), Microsoft, or Nokia. Nokia is actually the worst option for a replacement, because they don't have that many service centers. I went through the same thing a few months ago and Nokia wanted me to send it, but I went into an ATT store and they just handed me a new phone. I tried to get a new color, but the manager was kind of strict about that. LOL

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The phones have a one year warranty. You can either go directly through your carrier (if purchased from), Microsoft, or Nokia. Nokia is actually the worst option for a replacement, because they don't have that many service centers. I went through the same thing a few months ago and Nokia wanted me to send it, but I went into an ATT store and they just handed me a new phone. I tried to get a new color, but the manager was kind of strict about that. LOL

This is pretty awesome! I actually just bought a lumia 920 off of ebay. If i were to have an issue like this could I bring it in to my local Microsoft store for servicing if something were to go wrong (knock on wood)?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
This is pretty awesome! I actually just bought a lumia 920 off of ebay. If i were to have an issue like this could I bring it in to my local Microsoft store for servicing if something were to go wrong (knock on wood)?

The answer to that question is usually no, especially if bought off of eBay. Best thing to do is get the square trade warranty they offer. Or if I were to try the Microsoft store, and they ask, I would say it was a gift and don't mention eBay. Kind of a don't ask don't tell policy.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The answer to that question is usually no, especially if bought off of eBay. Best thing to do is get the square trade warranty they offer. Or if I were to try the Microsoft store, and they ask, I would say it was a gift and don't mention eBay. Kind of a don't ask don't tell policy.

Thank you!

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I think MS has your profile in the system, so im guessing some stores may check. I know when i bought mine, they pulled my profile and showed me my recent purchases.

I bought mine off of the MS store as well, i may try this is my 920 bricks.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
The phones have a one year warranty.

Double check with your local Nokia website or look at the back of your phone manual.
Some countries get a 2 year warranty (which is a great feeling after coming from an iPhone which started falling apart after the 1yr warranty expired)

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Similar experience with Surface RT. Bad screen after 4 months. I bought it at Staples actually. Went into MS Store and came out with brand new replacement - no questions asked after they confirmed problem. I realize this is an MS device and that in your case they exchanged a Nokia device. I believe though that MS has no issues standing by its customers...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss