Lumia 928 unlocked...Can you help me figure this out?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just chat with Verizon representative. Asking if the Lumia 928 can be unlocked. Here is the chat:

Me: Hi, I bought Nokia Lumia 928 from Verizon without a plan, and I would like to know how can I unlock it?
VZW: Do you have an account with us now?
Me: no..
Me: but i'm planning to get the prepaid plan
VZW: What do you mean unlock the phone?
Me: I can only use that phone using the Verizon sim card right?
Me: cause the device is exclusive to Verizon..
VZW: correct
Me: So I wonder if I can use other carrier sim card with it..
Me: cause I will need it when I go to Malaysia or Singapore later
Me: which I will use local sim card in those country
VZW: We do not support unlocking phones/
Me: means the phone is useless for me?
Me: if I don't have a Verizon sim card..
VZW: Unless you are on a VZW account. Prepaid or contract
Me: even if I have a VZW account, I still can't unlock it?
VZW: What type of phone is it?
Me: Windows Phone: Nokia Lumia 928
Me: just released last week.
VZW: It can be unlocked but we do not support that.
Me: then who support it?
VZW: You would have to have the other carrier out of the country do that for you.
Me: ok then....
Me: thanks.
Me: Bye.

You spoke with someone who doesn't have a clue.
1. 47 CFR 27.16 (e) says that Verizon can't lock the phone to their network:
(e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.
47 CFR 27.16 - Network access requirements for Block C in the 746-757 and 776-787 MHz bands. | Title 47 - Telecommunication | Code of Federal Regulations | LII / Legal Information Institute
2. The code for unlocking the phone is right on their website:
My Wireless Device

Your wireless device must comply with Federal Communications Commission regulations, be certified for use on our network, and be compatible with your Service. Please be aware that we may change your wireless device's software, applications or programming remotely, without notice. This could affect your stored data, or how you've programmed or use your wireless device. By activating Service that uses a SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, you agree we own the intellectual property and software in the SIM card, that we may change the software or other data in the SIM card remotely and without notice, and we may utilize any capacity in the SIM card for administrative, network, business and/or commercial purposes. If you bought a wireless device for Postpay Service from Verizon Wireless that doesn't use a SIM card, and you want to reprogram it for use with another wireless network, the default programming code is set to "000000" or "123456." But please note that your wireless device may not work with another wireless network, or the other wireless carrier may not accept your wireless device on its network. If you activate a wireless device for Prepaid Service, during the first six (6) months after activation, it can only be used for Prepaid Service. The iPhone 4 is configured to work only with the wireless services of Verizon Wireless and may not work on another carrier's network, even after completion of your contract term.
Customer Agreement | Verizon Wireless
3. If you search this very forum, you'll find people using it on other carriers.

The caveat is that no one has gotten MMS or Data to work yet, that I know of. I'm not sure how Verizon can get away with not allowing the APN to be changed, or if perhaps that would change if someone took them to court, but for now, you can't change the APN, so you can't use data or MMS on a different carrier.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hopmedic: I'm sure ppl will find your info useful. Hope the op sees this. Question: I don't have Verizon or a 928 so I have to ask: is it that you can't find the apn settings on the 928 or is it Verizon doesn't allow any of their phones to change apn settings?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Hopmedic: I'm sure ppl will find your info useful. Hope the op sees this. Question: I don't have Verizon or a 928 so I have to ask: is it that you can't find the apn settings on the 928 or is it Verizon doesn't allow any of their phones to change apn settings?

They took away the ability to change the APN settings from the OS. Nokia Access Point doesn't seem to be able to make the APN settings stick either

dta4316

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I just got my Nokia Lumia 928 black. Using a T-Mobile sim card, I can call & receive call, sending & receiving sms, and browse the web site using my T-Mobile data plan only. I didn't try MMS since I never use it.
This is the setting I done.
Settings -> cellular:
Data connection - on
Data roaming options - don't roam
Mode Selection - can't set this, it's disabled
Highest connection speed - LTE
Network Selection - automatic
For limited Wi-Fi connectivity - use cellular data

I'm using T-Mobile Prepaid Plan. I inserted T-Mobile sim card before I turn on the phone for the first time. I'm so surprised that the data actually work so hopefully it will continue to work. :)

Javier Olano

May 23, 2013
Visit site
The LTE 4G devices from Verizon come with the SIM card already unlocked. You are able to place any SIM card and the phone will work for calls and SMS; however, data options will not always work. It depends on wether the phone is able to have the apn settings modified or not. The majority of their devices allow you to modify that. Exceptions to this were the Samsung Galaxy SIII and the Note 2. People traveling overseas were not able to use any data when using international SIM cards. A software update has made it possible to have the apn settings modified now. At launch, by reading the comments made by people who have tried to use a different SIM card on the Lumia 928, it looks like the apn settings cannot be modified; therefore, data usage at a decent capacity will not be supported, at least until there is a software update. Of course this is not fair for people that is buying the device at full price. I think Nokia should have an option for all customers and there are customers that would just like to get the phone and not the service with a specific provider.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I know this was the case with 822, and now 928. Take a look in the 822 forums (where I came from) and you'll see. 8x I can't speak for, but have no reason to doubt what AR2186 says. It seems to me that this violates the spirit of 47 CFR 27.16 (e) even if it doesn't violate the letter (which I believe it does). If you can't use data or MMS from a smart phone on a different network, it seems to me that this phone is essentially locked to this carrier - especially when you consider that this regulation covers the LTE band that Verizon purchased, and that's data. Sounds to me like someone with deep pockets may have to sue over it to get it changed, since Verizon doesn't seem to be very forthcoming.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I called Verizon tech support and am in the process of trying to escalate if (complain enough from a big corporate account and it might happen). They got me in touch with a higher level group and I'm going go work that route tomorrow

orangesplease

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I called Verizon tech support and am in the process of trying to escalate if (complain enough from a big corporate account and it might happen). They got me in touch with a higher level group and I'm going go work that route tomorrow

I like your persistence--for all of our sakes! ha ha I want myself to like the 925, but man, it just doesn't aesthetically appeal to me... ha ha

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Make sure to mention something about how they are violating the spirit, and it seems also the letter of 47 CFR 27.16 (e). Tell them you are considering filing a complaint with the FCC.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Make sure to mention something about how they are violating the spirit, and it seems also the letter of 47 CFR 27.16 (e). Tell them you are considering filing a complaint with the FCC.

Thanks, I mentioned it yesterday and then figured I'd 100% confirm that other sims don't work properly. I just went and pulled the trigger on the tmobile $50 per month plan (14 day cancellation, so why not...) and it actually appears as though everything but MMS seems to work. Still going to call vzw when i get a chance, but thought i'd update everyone

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Interesting - I thought I'd read where no one could get data OR MMS to work. You got data working?

Strangley it seems to work, didn't work on AT&T when I previously tried on my old 8x and speaking to Verizon customer support the other day they told me it wouldnt work (that it was locked), but it seems to work on theT-Mobile US HSPDA/UMTS/GSM network

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure it doesn't have the right LTE bands on the radio, but T-Mobile has only launched LTE in a few areas and mine isn't one of them, so I can't tell you for sure

Sergio Gimenes

May 26, 2013
Visit site
HI, good Night...im from Brasil, in the last Week i bought a lumia 928 in Miami.But i have the same problem..
Funny, because the Microsofts guys told me that lumia 928 was unlocked and work in Brasil.
i paid $570... I receive calls, mms its ok but the data doesnt work. The apn not activate.

Im very angry!!

Diego Acosta

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Lots of people around complaining about this on the internet. You just have to Google it and see it's not any apparent solution coming up... Since this has being requested by Verizon for sure, I hope either Nokia, or Microsoft realise this not only harm customers it damages the WP platform. As a side note, I read this may result on a violation of the Code Of Federal Regulations (CFR) 47 CFR 27.16 (e). So file a complaint on the FCC page let's hope they'll take an action on this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb