Zune/PC sync - 928 not being recognized

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting my 928 set up, but my PC (Win7) isn't recognizing it other than as a generic "Windows Phone." Zune (up-to-date) isn't seeing it as a compatible device, either - am I doing something stupid?

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations on being one of the first to have the 928, and I really can't recommend the Windows Phone App as an alternative to Zune.

I find that the Windows Media Player does a better job, doesn't require the .NET framework installed and doesn't crash on me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ah, so the answer is "yes - you are doing something stupid." ;)

Thanks.

No, it's not stupid.

Everyone who gets something new has to learn, and most people won't learn if they don't ask questions.

I've certainly needed to ask lots of questions whenever I've first tried something new that I never used before.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Congratulations on being one of the first to have the 928, and I really can't recommend the Windows Phone App as an alternative to Zune.

I find that the Windows Media Player does a better job, doesn't require the .NET framework installed and doesn't crash on me.

Your computer crashes with .NET framework installed? Are you still running a Pentium 4?

stwall

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
My issue is that my Windows 7 64 bit machine doesn't load the driver for my 928, so the Windows Phone 8 tool doesn't work at all right now. I've read of several people having issues with the 920 when it came out. Haven't been able to fix it as of today, after fiddling with it all night.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm really hoping Microsoft makes it compatible with Zune, and soon! The media management is a joke to me without it.

It's not happening, they moved away from Zune with WP8 and are not looking back. I've found the Sync app works fine for what I need, but you can also use itunes or just treat the phone as a drive

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
It's not happening, they moved away from Zune with WP8 and are not looking back. I've found the Sync app works fine for what I need, but you can also use itunes or just treat the phone as a drive

How do you know they'll never bring support back? Lots of people want it so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it back and update it.

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I still use Zune with my 920 and make Playlists to sync to my phone (like I always did for WP7) for Music. Then just use the Windows Phone 8 Desktop app (not the Windows Store one) and you can sync your Zune playlists over to WP8. Its not ideal, and if you have a lot of music (I have 60K, as an active DJ) its a little painful to wait while starting up, but does get the job done.

I really do miss Wireless sync, though. We have 4 WP8s (all use to be WP7) and 1 WP7 phones in the house and I use to update playlists all the time and auto-magically sync to all the phones each night. Now they constantly bug me to plug them in and sync the new music. Growing pains...

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know for certain, but the prevailing evidence suggests it wont happen:
1. They have not allowed it yet and people were pretty upset about it when WP8 came out. It probably takes ~zero effort to make it work
2. Not compatible with WinRT, would have to build a new program from scratch
3. There really aren't that many people who ever used it and know what is missing (Zune and WP7 were not popular, no offense). For WP to be sucessful it needs to take market share from Android and iOS, so Microsoft's target consumer is not going to miss Zune
4. Current program allows integration with iTunes, Windows Media Player and works fine in disc mode
5. If they commit to making Zune work for WP8, they will have to continue to support it, and that takes a lot more work than supporting a lightweight program like the WP8 syncing program they have now
6. Xbox Music Cloud Collection - while only for Windows 8/RT at the moment, everything is moving to the cloud which negates the need for an additional program to manage syncing

I just wouldn't count on ever seeing WP8 integration

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
3. There really aren't that many people who ever used it and know what is missing (Zune and WP7 were not popular, no offense). For WP to be sucessful it needs to take market share from Android and iOS, so Microsoft's target consumer is not going to miss Zune

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...058-continue-to-use-zune-for-media-sync-in-wp

I don't see why they would go to the highly inferior WP8 syncing app. It sucks. Zune is an amazing program, and it'd only get better if they would update it. That way I can sync my Zune and phone in the same place.

BCS2k

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Zune still works for Windows 7 / windows phone 7. You can still download the desktop version and use it on Windows 8, but it was not built to run on that OS. Instead, the Xbox Music app is the direction that the group is going.

I can promise you that Zune will not be updated for Windows 8.

schinbone

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok, Itunes plus Pc sync works great. Not ideal but not too big of a problem, like someone else said app crashed after install but, it fired right back up and recognized the 928. Transferred my Itunes playlist without issue. I can say that songbird does not make a playlist that the phone recognizes.

fuclosure

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
can't i just drag and drop? running through this windows app-preview app 3 is taking forever. and to just add a recently purchased cd i have to re-sync the entire music database? there has got to be an easier way. please advise.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm running into a lot of problems with the desktop software Windows Phone - app preview 3. I've noticed some songs under the same artist, under the same or different albums, not being synced. Xbox music on the phone also sometimes splits albums. Albums are being split with each "new" listing grouping an artist. Really annoying for compilations or soundtracks. Also have some album art not being transferred. So to say the least, Microsoft's music/media management is pretty bad.

Is there a better way to sync music or some other thing that I can try that could remedy this? Copy and pasting through file explorer or using WMP?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo