Sunlight readability without auto brightness?

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ive noticed that if i dont have on automatic brightness, the sunlight readability never activates. i like to keep may phone on medium brightness (balance between battery life, and vibrancy of screen) but when i go outside, the sunlight is too strong for medium and i expect it to go into sunlight readability mode. Is this only my phone? :shocked:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So you go into extras and info and sunlight readability is on, but in the brightness controls you're on medium but not auto and sunlight doesn't come on? Weird, sounds like a bug to me. Have you tried this with the phone on medium auto?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine does the same... The sunlight mode only kicks in under auto brightness... I too wish it worked on medium. Auto is just too dim at night and in darker areas.

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
@Muessig When you put the phone on auto brightness is auto. there is no 'low, medium or high' auto.

@sinime that's my problem too, Its just to dark when not under sunlight for my enjoyment

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
@Muessig When you put the phone on auto brightness is auto. there is no 'low, medium or high' auto.

@sinime that's my problem too, Its just to dark when not under sunlight for my enjoyment

This is not true. Do this, because I do all the time:

1. Go to brightness, and switch off automatic.
2. Change your brightness to low.
3. Switch automatic back on, and notice the vibrancy and brightness, even with automatic on (even while on automatic).
4. Turn off auto brightness, and switch it to high.
5. Turn on auto brightness...

See the difference? If you leave it on "low" with automatic still, your "default brightness" under normal lighting conditions are lower. If you leave it on high, the brightness is always a lot higher, but not to the point of being COMPLETE high like the setting without auto brightness. The cool thing about this is you can have the brightness on automatic+low during when inside, when you're in a normally lit room, but the sun readability still works when you're in the sun...

The iPhone does this too, where you can still slide the brightness bar, but automatic sensor still kicks in. Its a cool feature actually imo...

Killer BIGxyz

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Wow I never realized this. Probably because I never went from low auto to high auto after. Thanks! This is much better on high auto as it looks like medium but sunlight readability is now also active 😃

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Wow I never realized this. Probably because I never went from low auto to high auto after. Thanks! This is much better on high auto as it looks like medium but sunlight readability is now also active 

Yea, I stumbled upon this when I had a Lumia 710. I like it because I don't need my brightness to always be high in a well enough lit room (plus it will save battery). Its like having the best of both worlds, where you can choose your default brightness, but still have auto-brightness work when you need it to.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I've now got mine set high with auto on. So far, so good. We'll see how it goes for a couple of days.

Edit: couple days later and yeah, high + auto + day light works great!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes