Wow!! This camera is.......bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkyD311

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm FAR from a WP/Nokia ******. This is my first Nokia and my first Windows phone. That said, I went for this phone for two reasons:

1. Superior low light performance
2. Superior audio and video recording (I go to a lot of concerts).

That said, for stills the camera on the 928 is AT LEAST as good as my GS3 in regular light, and blows it away in anything less than perfect light....and that's on full auto. I can't wait to see my results once I start tweaking.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty impressed not only with how good the camera is, but all the software that Nokia has with it! Some of these apps and lenses are the coolest thing I've ever played with!

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Given this argument, I went out with my Trophy and my 928. This post will likely be ginormous, which I apologize for, just trying to show all the detail. I'll edit if it's ridiculous.
First the Trophy, default settings, not saving at full quality.
Then, a Cinemagraph from the 928. I was playing around.

The two attachments are from the 928 as well. The first, ending in "19," was default settings. The second, ending in "25," is me playing around a bit to get a better shot of the details, though I do not know what settings it was, sadly.

The Trophy looks a bit better on screen, but zoomed in it has purple edges everywhere. The 928 got to the details much, much better.
But they're all awful, ugly shots I took. The sky was about to open up, so I rushed, yet still got drenched.

Your Trophy defaults ti iso100? If you had had it on auto or changed it to a slightly higher ISO the photos would have been better exposed, they are under exposed now and dark. Not sure what the 928 defaulted to as the exif was not in the image for me to read. In overcast conditions you are going to need a higher ISO or flash to get some light on the subject

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Your Trophy defaults ti iso100? If you had had it on auto or changed it to a slightly higher ISO the photos would have been better exposed, they are under exposed now and dark. Not sure what the 928 defaulted to as the exif was not in the image for me to read. In overcast conditions you are going to need a higher ISO or flash to get some light on the subject

The Trophy doesn't even have manual iso settings.

The file ending in 25 was iso 100, f/2.0, shutter speed 1/640
The default was iso 100, f/2.0, shutter speed 1/600

Attached is one that was iso 800, f/2.0, ss 1/5000

Like I said, I didn't play around much due to the weather. But it gives you an idea of the default shot, which is probably what the vast majority of phone buyers solely care about (I'd wager less than 10% of buyers are knowledgeable - I'm sure not.)WP_20130517_026.jpg

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
My experience in general is you get a better picture if you tap the screen to capture instead of using the camera button. The more still you hold the phone the better.

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The Trophy doesn't even have manual iso settings.

The file ending in 25 was iso 100, f/2.0, shutter speed 1/640
The default was iso 100, f/2.0, shutter speed 1/600

Attached is one that was iso 800, f/2.0, ss 1/5000

Like I said, I didn't play around much due to the weather. But it gives you an idea of the default shot, which is probably what the vast majority of phone buyers solely care about (I'd wager less than 10% of buyers are knowledgeable - I'm sure not.)

yes you are right..the average consumer should be able to point and shoot and get a decent result. In your instance an overcast day with a dark object that is backlit might cause most meters on cameras to do exactly what it did on your shot, and I am not sure the flashes on these little things are powerful enough to help out in that situation.

rdavenp3

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I just got the 928 and I also have an iPhone 5. The 928 takes at least as good as, if not better photos than the iPhone. Low or mixed light is definitely better than the iPhone.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

marvinmckinley

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I used my new Nokia 928 today using the Nokia Drive program for a drive up in the mountains taking several different roads and it worked great. I used to phone camera to take pictures of river rafters on the Cache LaPoudre river, still and video and they both came out fantastic. I am not a genius with a camera but I know quality when I see it and these pictures were great, thanks to Nokia.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
While I agree, I must admit the iPhone is really good at taking consistently good photos.

My iPhone sucks at taking pictures. I tried five times to take a picture of my odometer as it hit 200,000 miles (yeah, yeah, I know) and the POS iPhone always blanked out the last few digits. Every time I am forced to use that hunk of crap I get so pissed I want to chuck it against the wall.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, 3 more shots as a comparison, of a city I fortunately never have to see again soon.

First a "Night Mode" 928.
Then, me playing with settings a bit.
Lastly, an iPhone 4 shot, though it was emailed to me and quality was reduced by the phone before sending.WP_20130517_030.jpgWP_20130517_033.jpgiphone.JPG

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, 3 more shots as a comparison, of a city I fortunately never have to see again soon.

First a "Night Mode" 928.
Then, me playing with settings a bit.
Lastly, an iPhone 4 shot, though it was emailed to me and quality was reduced by the phone before sending.
You dont need night mode in 92X series. Try auto, suppress ISO to 100-200. should give you something like the ip4, natural color but better overall.
BTW, in the earlier statue picture, try back light option with extra expose, should be fine.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I wish I knew more about photography...i want to be able to capture beautiful photos too :( The next Windows Phone I get I'm going to need someone to show me how to use the native camera app to take the best photos I can. Is anyone giving Skype or YouTube lessons on how to achieve the best photos with your native camera app? I'm sure lots of ppl on every platform can benefit! :)

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
To the thread starter, why don't you post some of the photos you've taken with your Lumia and your Motorola for comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo