Wow!! This camera is.......bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tup3x

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think the camera quality varies a lot with these phones. Some seem to take absolutely **** images when others take just fine photos. I'm a "lucky" owner of Lumia 920 that happens to have defective camera by the looks of it (in my case Nokia N80 takes better pictures).

here are a few I took today so if you are seeing this level of sharpness and color then you may want to exchange your phone
Nice pics but you have shrunken 'em to a point where no one can make any guesses about the sharpness.

Last edited:

phatfield

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Having the same issues. Upgraded from an 822 because I wasn't happy with image quality compared to recent phones (I've had a few Android phones and most recently, the 4S). I am puzzled. An 8.7 Carl Zeiss shooter looks good through the view finder than blurs when taking the shot. Tried Camera Easy's timer after setting on stable surface thinking the blur had to be caused by me, but no improvement. I have not had this issue with other phones. I love the video quality but I am dying to find out how to improve the settings. I have been through a lot of forums and tried quite a few settings too no avail....yet (I'm sure this will get figured out!).

Tup3x

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Having the same issues. Upgraded from an 822 because I wasn't happy with image quality compared to recent phones (I've had a few Android phones and most recently, the 4S). I am puzzled. An 8.7 Carl Zeiss shooter looks good through the view finder than blurs when taking the shot. Tried Camera Easy's timer after setting on stable surface thinking the blur had to be caused by me, but no improvement. I have not had this issue with other phones. I love the video quality but I am dying to find out how to improve the settings. I have been through a lot of forums and tried quite a few settings too no avail....yet (I'm sure this will get figured out!).
Yeah, the seem to look good when you focus and then instantly blurs when you take the shot. When you look the originals, they end up looking like ****. Video quality is good, but then again... It's less than 2 megapixels so even blurry 8 mpix image ends up looking quite good when you shrunk it down (especially if there's some sharpening happening in the process). Compared to N80 and Galaxy S, this clearly takes the poopiest pictures. I'm trying to get this fixed soonish because I find it so hard to believe that this is normal.

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
It is really bizarre. Daylight / normal light are just soft...way soft. I have tried the settings, I have tried being really still. Tried some of the apps (proshot etc...).All to no avail. Video is amazing. Low light amazing. Flash amazing. Day time shots it is like a bad Motorola camera (maybe worse). I have gotten some "better" shots with all the tweaking. Being honest though the best shot (out of several hundred!) I have taken in daylight has not matched an average daytime shot from my recent phones (with no adjustments or codling!!). I have never uploaded photos before...not a drop box or skydrive kind of user. I am working on it. At this point for me it really does not matter 928 is being returned soon.

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
It is really bizarre. Daylight / normal light are just soft...way soft. I have tried the settings, I have tried being really still. Tried some of the apps (proshot etc...).All to no avail. Video is amazing. Low light amazing. Flash amazing. Day time shots it is like a bad Motorola camera (maybe worse). I have gotten some "better" shots with all the tweaking. Being honest though the best shot (out of several hundred!) I have taken in daylight has not matched an average daytime shot from my recent phones (with no adjustments or codling!!). I have never uploaded photos before...not a drop box or skydrive kind of user. I am working on it. At this point for me it really does not matter 928 is being returned soon.

You may just have a bad camera and should try exchanging it, I expect that there will be some bad lenses/camera units it is rather normal and given that mine takes really good photos I it seems that it has the ability yours just is not up to par

Last edited:

Berkley Todd

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Either people are getting poorly manufactured cameras, or they don't know anything about taking a decent photograph, because mine sortof amazes me with what it can do....

Ryan Rea

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
People... Please remember that Windows Phone "De-resolution-izes" the preview so its quicker to respond when your pitch zoom and scroll around the image. If you want to see the "real image" download "HD Photo Viewer" from the marketplace

reversalagent

May 16, 2013
Visit site
In regards to all this camera discussion, does Windows Phone/Nokia, natively have a panoramic feature of is this something you have to add with an app? And if it is built in, how does it work? Can you just start and pan around to make the panoramic?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
In regards to all this camera discussion, does Windows Phone/Nokia, natively have a panoramic feature of is this something you have to add with an app? And if it is built in, how does it work? Can you just start and pan around to make the panoramic?

It technically is an app but it uses a feature called lenses. Lenses add more function to the camera straight from the native camera app. You start the camera and press one button to access it.

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting on OP to show pics from his Droid and 928 for comparison.

Oh wait he probably doesn't even own the phone....
Returned it today. camera was not good enough to learn windows for. i may try again after amber update. or maybe the next Nokia flagship if it hits Verizon.. thanks to everyone for all the input. it did help.....but as a point and shoot camera in daylight....one of the worst in Verizon's line up.

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
cannot say I agree..I think it was a faulty camera or faulty user..took this minutes ago bright daylight

lisainsf-albums116-34251.jpg

Bobbman

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
when you have a close subject it does great...like your photo (good looking dog!)....anything more than 15 feet away it really struggles...trees...landscapes...even in some of the photos posted in this forum...the landscapes look painted...not photographed

good luck with that...that is a small sensor issue that you will find on most camera phones. The below is and iphoen 4s..close detail looks great.ocean looks like watercolor

Keep Off by FotosDeLisa, on Flickr

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I think I've learned after playing with this phone for a while that the camera certainly has its strengths and weaknesses. Somebody earlier on this thread enlightened me when talking about the impact of a fixed aperture at f/2.0. This high aperture is fantastic for two things: letting in lots of light, and creating a stunning bokeh effect for close up shots. However, it is my opinion that this fixed aperture is also creating trouble with focusing on medium-distance objects (maybe 15-30 feet away), as evidenced by a smearing of details. For a phone, it is still very respectable in those shots, but not quite where I would like it to be. That being said, the fantastic reproduction of colors, great low light photography, and amazing close up photography make this thing a huge winner for me. Here are a couple of shots from earlier today that show off some of these qualities (all auto, btw):
WP_20130518_001.jpg
WP_20130518_018.jpg

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
After looking through your posting history I noticed you've been bouncing around and on the fence about quite a few devices. Even in an S4 thread on Android Central user 'aggie' told you this:
I found the Pureview in the Lumia 920 to perform better overall, especially in low light conditions, but the GS4 camera is still great and for me the better all around device.

You are going to have to set your expectations properly. All camera phones have smaller sensors. If you want the best camera on a phone out there and don't care about OS you really want the Pureview 808. If you want the best modern camera on a phone at the moment it's either the S4 or the 928. If you want the best camera on a phone at all this year you'll have to wait for the EOS (in my opinion).

Either way I wish you luck and really hope you find what you're looking for. I hope we see you around here soon again.

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I think I've learned after playing with this phone for a while that the camera certainly has its strengths and weaknesses. Somebody earlier on this thread enlightened me when talking about the impact of a fixed aperture at f/2.0. This high aperture is fantastic for two things: letting in lots of light, and creating a stunning bokeh effect for close up shots. However, it is my opinion that this fixed aperture is also creating trouble with focusing on medium-distance objects (maybe 15-30 feet away), as evidenced by a smearing of details. For a phone, it is still very respectable in those shots, but not quite where I would like it to be. That being said, the fantastic reproduction of colors, great low light photography, and amazing close up photography make this thing a huge winner for me. Here are a couple of shots from earlier today that show off some of these qualities (all auto, btw):

You are right to some degree, but f2.0 on a small sensor is not like f2.0 on a large sensor. Also, for landscapes and such or wide angle you should not be trying to focus at the objects n the distance that will fail, aim for about 1/3 up from the bottom into the photo and touch the screen there to shoot..you will then get more in the focal plane before and after and more in focus if what you are shooting is off in the distance..like this shot below. I put the focus point about 1/3 up from the bottom, even though what I really wanted in focus is the barn in the distance

lisainsf-albums116-34144.jpg

small sensors and lesser megapixels just cannot capture fine details like a bigger camera plain and simple, but there are tricks to get the best from what you have you just have t learn to use it. Since the OP never posted one photo we cannot help him in this regard or see if it was a faulty camera or lens perhaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss