Man, the Nokia 928 is one physically ugly phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch4949

May 24, 2013
Visit site
To each his/her own, I looked at all the phones in my Verizon store just to be sure I wanted the 928. I shrugged and thought looks just as nice as any of the rest, feel substantial and most importantly if highly rated for the features I need. I think its attractive looking for a phone. LOL

Marc Bolh

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I've got a white one from AT&T and I really like it.

The square look took a while for me to get used to but now I'm finding rounded rectangles look dated.

Marc

john_blaze

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think the 928 is one stylish looking phone, and for once, I think Verizon actually got a nicer looking variant than the original.

We all know how Verizon likes to beat their version of devices with the ugly stick. I offer for example the Note 2, with that hideous logo on the home button, and the HTC One X, compared to the Droid Incredible 4g LTE.

Don't get me wrong, I still think the 920 is a great looking phone and I would have picked it up if it had been released at the same time on Verizon, but it wasn't.

I like the design choices they made with the 928, especially the straight sides. To my eyes, it makes the design cleaner looking, more minimalist. I was one of the people that was intrigued by a Surface Phone, mainly due to this gorgeous concept.

Microsoft Surface Phone 8 by ~Jonas-Daehnert on deviantART

Not saying that's what the phone would have actually looked like, just what appeals to my design sensibilities. I like minimalism, and dislike superfluous accents.

I also like the pillowed back, and the way it tapers. It looks elegant. To me, the 928 is a refinement of the 810, which I thought was the nicest looking of the 820 variants.

As for the front, while I didn't like it initially and thought it would have looked better if the color peaked through from the sides, like in this render, it's grown on me.

Nokia Lumia 928 Concept by ~Jonas-Daehnert on deviantART

I think the all black front gives it a distinctive look, and makes it appear as though the entire front is all glass.

The speaker placement, I'm assuming they chose it due to an issue of it being blocked when holding the phone in landscape and possibly feedback when using the speakerphone during calls. Besides, I'm pretty sure if it wasn't there, Verizon would have wanted to plaster their logo on the back as well. How Nokia got Verizon to show some restraint with their branding is beyond me.

This is all subjective, but I think it's funny that the OP mentioned liking the metal trim around the Trophy, cause till this day, I can't figure out why they added it. It looks so tacky, and I would have liked the phone that much more if it were never there.

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Its not an ugly looking phone I actually love the more boxy design but I agree it's not the best designed. Look at the Bezel on it, and the thickness it just looks like they didn't have as good of engineering with it. Compare it to say the Galaxy S4 it's slightly less tall and much thicker but has a .5 in. smaller screen and a 600 mah less battery.
I think it looks good I just feel like it's far to chunky for what it is, I mean look at the Razr M for example they compacted like the same exact specs (slightly larger screen)into a nice fit body.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree 100% I was at the mall yesterday and messed around with the 928. It look cheap. I also went to a mobile store who said the 925 is only being sold yo specific mobile markets and as far as he knew stores in Connecticut would have to order them per customer. I was in Stamford Connecticut.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Like rem says, it's all subjective. But it is really pretentious for OP to say someone needs to talk to the designers just because he doesn't like the phone. I don't much like the design of the iPhone but I can agree that it is well designed. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I'm gonna tell Jon Ives to go back to school.

And like I mentioned before, it floats. If you can't give credit to them for making a visually pleasing design and a light enough phone, you could at least give them props for making a floating brick.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
The phone is beautiful. The tiles are ugly, dull and static though. But we can make it tolerable with apps like Wiztiles and Skinery.

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't go out of my way to say that the phone is ugly by any means, but I won't say its gorgeous as some others have put it. I prefer the look of the 928 over the 8x, but as others have said, its all subjective. My preference for favorite phone design has to go to my iPhone 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire