Crazy volume control, or lack of. Need help!

vonchowder

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Im having trouble controlling the volume. I want to keep my ringer off and vibrate on while at work. So I lower it all the way using volume rocker. Then I go to listen to music and I find out that I have to turn the volume up.... it seems this simultaneously turns up the ringer, because I receive a phone call and the music dims down (in my headphones)... so I take off the headphones and pull out the headphone jack and am alarmed to hear the ringer blaring out of the phone's speaker!. Not good while at work.

So then I end the call and Boom! Skrillex comes blasting out of the speaker as the music suddenly resumes! Again, not good while at work. I was using the Nokia music player to play locally stored music.

Am I missing something?... I feel like the ringer and the media volume should be maintained separately, and automatic resumption of media after a call interruption is not good.

AlexOwliver

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, that's the way Microsoft's done this one. . .we're all hoping for a separation of the two in a future update but for now it's one volume to rule them all.

I actually like the automatic play on media after calls/interruptions. Feels more seamless to me, but you do have to remember what you were doing.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Turn off the ringer with the button in the top right corner of the screen when the volume controls are showing. That way you can listen to music and the ringer won't sound. As for the resume, you'll have to pause the music when you get a call. I like the auto resume myself.

WinPhnLvr

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Try going to settings > ringtones&sounds > and set the ringer to off.

Or, Tap the volume button and then tap the bell icon at the top of the screen. it should turn to wavy lines indicating the ringer is off.

kuyawil

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this is definitely a minor issue for me too. It's not a deal breaker, but I would really prefer to have separate controls for ringer and media as the OP alluded to. The one thing I really liked about my S3 was that I had separate volume controls for alarms, music, video, and games. So, I do hope that Microsoft/Nokia is listening. Let's get this fixed in the next update.

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I had Volume Control app on my Rezound and it was just awesome, let you adjust 5 different things. So far my only dissapointment, it would be great to have!

remyjette

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Also my only real disappointment with my Windows Phone after moving from Android - also hate how you can't have phone on vibrate without making alarms useless. Hope MS fixes this.

GCrane1982

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Also my only real disappointment with my Windows Phone after moving from Android - also hate how you can't have phone on vibrate without making alarms useless. Hope MS fixes this.

I have my phone on silent every night and even leave my headphones plugged in some nights and the alarm still works through the loud speaker and vibrate every time

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

My alarms work fine when the phone is on vibrate. I've tried this using the stock alarms app and 627am app. I've tried it on a lumia 620 and it works just fine. At night I put the phone on vibrate and the alarm rings without any issue.

Sanjoy Basak

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
my nokia lumia 620 was dropped from my hand yesterday. the volume controller button isnt working since then...is it possible to control the volume through touch? or some other way....

ewphone

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes! There needs to be a separate media volume and ring volume control! The ringer doesn't need 30 levels of volume control either, it only needs maybe 5. I don't understand why anyone would think that your music volume would correlate with your ringer. What if I had my ringer on full blast and put in headphones? I would get blown away.:shocked:

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes! There needs to be a separate media volume and ring volume control! The ringer doesn't need 30 levels of volume control either, it only needs maybe 5. I don't understand why anyone would think that your music volume would correlate with your ringer. What if I had my ringer on full blast and put in headphones? I would get blown away.:shocked:

Hopefully added/resolved in WP 8.1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs