I was really looking forward to this phone, but I need an SD Card slot

Erickson187

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I also was going to upgrade to the 928 from the 822 but the no SD card and built in battery were enough to not upgrade it.

I hate the growing trend of nee phones not having a battery you can remove as sl many times you need to pull the battery on a phone. Not to mention if the battery goes you need to get a new phone instead of just putting a new one in and with no option in WP8 to have a complete backup of all your stuff including game saves and apps no longer in the marketplace could be a major pain, not to mention that even with the phone turned off you can be monitored if you don't take out the battery.

As far as the storage goes, I want the extra space because the 16 or even 32 gigs would not be enough for ally games to be installed. I have many Xbox live games on my phone and keep having to delete and install other ones. With the SD card I have them all on it and I can just install them to the phone without having to have WiFi since it will not allow you to download them over cell network, not to mention that for most of the games you need to have like 3x the amount of free space in order to install it.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't care about putting music on a phone anymore. Between XBox Music, Nokia Music, Pandora I'm covered while on the go. At home I have my full music collection.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The argument that everything is in the cloud and you should stream everything just isn't realistic all the time and everywhere. Streaming is sometimes slow or nonexistent, it uses up bandwidth allotment, and uses up battery. It's a wonderful dream.

racedog

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
If you really like the 928 maybe some external flash drive with wifi (something like maxell airstash) would work...

I just checked out the Airstash and it looks like it just might change my mind about buying the 928. Thank you for pointing out this device. So many other responses offered nothing more than their own opinions on how I should be using my phone. What works for others is great, that doesn't mean it would apply to how I use mine. You offered a real method/work around and quite possibly generated another sale for the 928.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Just as a side note as to why some people are baffled by companies not going larger than 32gb or offering a SD card slot. You have to realize that people who want over 32gb's are in a very small minority of smartphone users. I only know of one other guy at my entire company (which is large) that even cares about storage space on a phone. Of course I haven't asked every single employee about it, but enough to form an opinion.

And the companies aren't doing this on purpose, they are going off of their focus group data, etc. It's obvious why they aren't putting more into their phones....it's because the majority doesn't care or ask for it. There is no company that I know of which is trying to make money that will completely ignore the majority of their consumers and just do things their way. You to listen to your consumers to an extent. Since a small percentage asks for it, they are going the less expensive route and siding with their majority.

That's just how I see it, right or wrong.

Existence_Inc

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
... to Burzum.

Holy Crap another person who knows about Burzum! \o/ I can say I have been feeling the EXACT same way about the phones that have been coming out. The HTC One would have been a great option, but it isn't coming to VZW and AT&T has the 64GB version exclusively. I was VERY hopeful to jump to WP from my Bold 9930, but it doesn't offer enough storage for pictures, video, music, maps, apps, etc. to suit MY needs either. As such, I will muddle through with my 40GB (32GB SD + 8GB internal) 9930 until something better comes along.

And the companies aren't doing this on purpose, they are going off of their focus group data, etc.

I don't know that I agree. Google's own Nexus phones no longer include SD cards nor much storage. They are pushing the cloud. MS is pushing the Cloud. Apple is pushing the cloud. And all of this is at a time where unlimited data plans are vanishing. These companies know exactly what they are doing alright. Streaming audio eats up data, provides subscription revenue, and/or ad revenue. Apple offers the option of 16, 32, and 64 for iPhones, iPads (128GB included), and iPods. Even Nokia thought it was important enough to launch their sole MeeGo phone (N9) with a 64GB option, despite killing the OS before the phone had arrived to market. I own one (N9) and dearly love the device, but am unable to use it as a phone on VZW due to the nature of their network (CDMA).

Also, keep in mind that some of us travel a lot and may not live in cities. Travelers don't have access to data at all while flying and it can be spotty when traveling through rural areas. I live in a rural area, approximately 200miles from the nearest City, and while coverage is good where I live (3G), it becomes increasingly unreliable while outside of the small towns or while traveling through the mountains. This is why I prefer large capacity storage and offline maps/navigation. It may not be necessary for the majority of users, but options are good regardless, right? Besides, if our only options would be defined by the majority, there would only be Samsung Galaxy and iPhones as options. Isn't that the same thing, since the small minority of people want something different (BB10, WP7/8)?

~Ex

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just as a side note as to why some people are baffled by companies not going larger than 32gb or offering a SD card slot. You have to realize that people who want over 32gb's are in a very small minority of smartphone users. I only know of one other guy at my entire company (which is large) that even cares about storage space on a phone. Of course I haven't asked every single employee about it, but enough to form an opinion.

And the companies aren't doing this on purpose, they are going off of their focus group data, etc. It's obvious why they aren't putting more into their phones....it's because the majority doesn't care or ask for it. There is no company that I know of which is trying to make money that will completely ignore the majority of their consumers and just do things their way. You to listen to your consumers to an extent. Since a small percentage asks for it, they are going the less expensive route and siding with their majority.

That's just how I see it, right or wrong.

Obviously most people buy the cheapest phone but if the extra storage option was not viable and/or profitable then Apple and HTC would not be offering 64gb phones. You do not know the market as well as you claim you do.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Holy Crap another person who knows about Burzum! \o/ I can say I have been feeling the EXACT same way about the phones that have been coming out. The HTC One would have been a great option, but it isn't coming to VZW and AT&T has the 64GB version exclusively. I was VERY hopeful to jump to WP from my Bold 9930, but it doesn't offer enough storage for pictures, video, music, maps, apps, etc. to suit MY needs either. As such, I will muddle through with my 40GB (32GB SD + 8GB internal) 9930 until something better comes along.

I don't know that I agree. Google's own Nexus phones no longer include SD cards nor much storage. They are pushing the cloud. MS is pushing the Cloud. Apple is pushing the cloud. And all of this is at a time where unlimited data plans are vanishing. These companies know exactly what they are doing alright. Streaming audio eats up data, provides subscription revenue, and/or ad revenue. Apple offers the option of 16, 32, and 64 for iPhones, iPads (128GB included), and iPods. Even Nokia thought it was important enough to launch their sole MeeGo phone (N9) with a 64GB option, despite killing the OS before the phone had arrived to market. I own one (N9) and dearly love the device, but am unable to use it as a phone on VZW due to the nature of their network (CDMA).

Also, keep in mind that some of us travel a lot and may not live in cities. Travelers don't have access to data at all while flying and it can be spotty when traveling through rural areas. I live in a rural area, approximately 200miles from the nearest City, and while coverage is good where I live (3G), it becomes increasingly unreliable while outside of the small towns or while traveling through the mountains. This is why I prefer large capacity storage and offline maps/navigation. It may not be necessary for the majority of users, but options are good regardless, right? Besides, if our only options would be defined by the majority, there would only be Samsung Galaxy and iPhones as options. Isn't that the same thing, since the small minority of people want something different (BB10, WP7/8)?

~Ex

Haha yes, Burzum is rather amazing. I am quite fond of black metal. I agree thay if the iPhone and HTC wouldn't profit from a 64GB phone, then it would not be made. They might make a slight lower profit margin but it is still an available options because some users desire it. Companies that provide less options will receive less customers. I will not compromise because a company wants to limit my opinions.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Obviously most people buy the cheapest phone but if the extra storage option was not viable and/or profitable then Apple and HTC would not be offering 64gb phones. You do not know the market as well as you claim you do.

Yeah, they are making offerings to their minority market. Which is why only a small percentage of smartphones come with 64gb on board.

I never claimed to be an expert but I know the difference between minority and majority markets.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, they are making offerings to their minority market. Which is why only a small percentage of smartphones come with 64gb on board.

I never claimed to be an expert but I know the difference between minority and majority markets.

Yes but obviously the minority ie still profitable like I stated above. If they wanted to increase market share, Nokia could produce a 64gb version.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I ended up selling the Note 2 and buying a Lumia 822. I threw a 32GB card in and it is perfect. I found a good podcast replacement app because the stock Microsoft one is terrible.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I ended up selling the Note 2 and buying a Lumia 822. I threw a 32GB card in and it is perfect. I found a good podcast replacement app because the stock Microsoft one is terrible.

Welcome to Lumia 822 and WP8. Yes, 16GB with a 32GB card, is perfect. WP with an SD card (I have a 64GB) is fast, fluid, and flexible. It fits your needs in your life, and easily adjusts to fit my life too. Everyone wins with Windows Phone AND an SD slot.

(I like the built in Xbox Music Podcast App. What App do you think is better, and why?)

Last edited:

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Lumia 822 and WP8. Yes, 16GB with a 32GB card, is perfect. WP with an SD card (I have a 64GB) is fast, fluid, and flexible. It fits your needs in your life, and easily adjusts to fit my life too. Everyone wins with Windows Phone AND an SD slot.

(I like the built in Xbox Music Podcast App. What App do you think is better, and why?)

It certainly is awesome. I bought the 822 back in December but exchanged it for the Note 2. I wanted Windows to make a few more games and to have a few more apps. Now all I need is Tapatalk and everything is perfect. I love the 822. Some people reviewed it as being too thick but I think it is perfect. A bigger screen would be nice but it isn't a deal breaker.

I use Podcatcher. I like it a lot more because it doesn't automatically download new podcasts unless you specify for it to do so. Also, it doesn't require you to have 1 podcast from every subscription downloaded to stay subscribed to it. Also, you can search by keywords or by XML url to subscribe to podcasts. Just more options, which to me is well worth the money. I give it 5 stars. This one allows me to listen to my favorite podcast (The Peter Schiff Show). It isn't available through the XBox Music Podcast App. That was one of the reasons for me getting rid of the 822 in December. Now I am absolutely satisfied. I bought it off of Craigslist for $75 and mint condition. I sold my Galaxy Note 2 for $350 in mint condition. So not only did I make money, but I obtained a better phone.

mrcrusha829

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I did end up getting the 928.. let me tell you it IS awesome!! So far the 32GB isn't causing an issue for me. I am coming from a Lumia 822 and had a 64GB microSD in it. I had a lot of music and pics on the SD card and I have Pics and Vids auto-sync to SkyDrive. Came to the realization that I could just delete the pics from my phone once they are synced. Also I had a lot of music that I really didnt' care for on my SD card. So I also trimmed what I had on that down to what I like the most. Almost all my music is on Google Music so I use GooRoovster for that. I also lost unlimited data when I upgraded. Losing unlimited for me wasn't that big of a deal as I work from home and I am always on wifi. Think I only went over 2GB once in the last 6 months.

Thanks juvethesecond for posting the AIRstash idea... may have to pick up one of those... would be awesome next time I go on Vaca to have one of these as an option!

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
It certainly is awesome. I bought the 822 back in December but exchanged it for the Note 2. I wanted Windows to make a few more games and to have a few more apps. Now all I need is Tapatalk and everything is perfect. I love the 822. Some people reviewed it as being too thick but I think it is perfect. A bigger screen would be nice but it isn't a deal breaker.

I use Podcatcher. I like it a lot more because it doesn't automatically download new podcasts unless you specify for it to do so. Also, it doesn't require you to have 1 podcast from every subscription downloaded to stay subscribed to it. Also, you can search by keywords or by XML url to subscribe to podcasts. Just more options, which to me is well worth the money. I give it 5 stars. This one allows me to listen to my favorite podcast (The Peter Schiff Show). It isn't available through the XBox Music Podcast App. That was one of the reasons for me getting rid of the 822 in December. Now I am absolutely satisfied. I bought it off of Craigslist for $75 and mint condition. I sold my Galaxy Note 2 for $350 in mint condition. So not only did I make money, but I obtained a better phone.

Actually lucky for you man. There are rumours of an official taptalk app coming soon to WP :)

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
no one has even mentioned battery life ........ yeah there is data to worry about but what about battery life streaming that music that could be stored on your device locally?? for me a micro sd slot and 16/32gb mass memory is minimal , I had to sell my 920 and have gone back to my nokia 808 until nokia finally make a true 808/920 hybrid with micro sd slot and 808 like sensor with ois from the 920

what difference does it make? they put a sim slot in the unibody design so put a micro sd slot in the unibody like the nokia n8 , if people don't use it they don't use it , if people like me need it great we can put a 64gb card in it and buy the device instead of having to buy something else with better memory or sit and wait

trying to force people into streaming etc is never going to work because of the impact on battery life , data useage , network coverage etc etc

maylea31

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I just keep my most used music on the phone and use cloudmuzik to cache songs from google play or albums I want to hear the next day at night at home. Then remove as needed. Haven't used an SD card for two years for music or videos. Works for me but maybe not everyone.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did end up getting the 928.. let me tell you it IS awesome!! So far the 32GB isn't causing an issue for me. I am coming from a Lumia 822 and had a 64GB microSD in it. I had a lot of music and pics on the SD card and I have Pics and Vids auto-sync to SkyDrive. Came to the realization that I could just delete the pics from my phone once they are synced. Also I had a lot of music that I really didnt' care for on my SD card. So I also trimmed what I had on that down to what I like the most. Almost all my music is on Google Music so I use GooRoovster for that. I also lost unlimited data when I upgraded. Losing unlimited for me wasn't that big of a deal as I work from home and I am always on wifi. Think I only went over 2GB once in the last 6 months.

Thanks juvethesecond for posting the AIRstash idea... may have to pick up one of those... would be awesome next time I go on Vaca to have one of these as an option!

Yeah, data usage for me is always a problem because I work in the financial industry, so none of office has WiFi because it is easier for hackers to gain access to sensitive information. If I was able to be on WIFI all day, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually lucky for you man. There are rumours of an official taptalk app coming soon to WP :)

I saw that. I was going to buy a forum app but I saw it was taken off the market because Tapatalk bought them out and is developing their own app. I really do not miss my Note 2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99