I was really looking forward to this phone, but I need an SD Card slot

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: I was really looking forward to this phone, but............

I think what lot of people forget is how many apps come pre-installed on WP and Nokia phones, which take up some space. Apple doesn't pre-install Apple apps which gives you a different impression about available space. I think most if not all of Nokia pre-installed apps are really useful.

Is that 23gb available when new ? Or after you installed a bunch of things ? I guess it's better than the 11.5gb that my 8X has but, 32gb down to 23gb ? That's nuts... So, all am paying another $400 for is 10gb ? Hmmmmm

Yea, if you follow my posts you would know the MicroSD thing was huge for me and that really sucks (Nokia said it was a design choice, I think it's BS, as no high end phones have expandable storage, I'm thinking MS set that, so when 8.5 devices hit, the high end models will all have MicroSD forcing you to get a new phone).

The only thing is, If you want a high end WP8 phone on Verizon, this is your only choice AND, if you decide to skip it, with Verizon's track record with WP, you wont see another higher end option till this time next year.

Anyway about it, if you want more space, get a 822 but, if you want a high end option with expandable storage on Verizon, you can't have it because it does not exist.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Have you ever calculated how much data you use in streaming your content in your general use case in daily life? Also Verizon has data sense, which helps in reduced data usage.
Not saying that SD expansion is not useful. It is definitely. But there are ways around it for most people.
Like I said above, streaming becomes an issues when there is not an unlimited data plan. This is why there should be the option of an SD Card. Also, Pandora does not offer choice of a specific song. Also why pay for a service like Spotify when I already own the music? Why raise my data usage and pay a monthly fee for something I already own? Not everyone needs an SD Card, but I do for my phone. One of the purposes of a smartphone is to eliminate the need for an iPod. Eliminating the SD Card makes it more difficult for customers like myself.

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Have you ever calculated how much data you use in streaming your content in your general use case in daily life? Also Verizon has data sense, which helps in reduced data usage.
Not saying that SD expansion is not useful. It is definitely. But there are ways around it for most people.

You are side stepping my point. Why should I pay for a service like Spotify when I already own the music? You can cache for offline usage, so streaming data is not the primary issue.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

If you aren't a huge audiophile with your music you could try converting it to AAC+. I don't notice a huge difference in quality and it takes up about a 1/3 to 1/2 of the space.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I have over 140 albums on my phone right now and it takes up <15gb. I can't see any reason that you would need more than that on your phone... But that's just my opinion .

carajean

May 13, 2013
Visit site

I stream A LOT and rarely go over 2 gigs. I stream at the gym every night for an hour then on the way there on the way back. I stream when Im on my street bike. I stream at my new office because of net restrictions. I dont think it uses that much data.

But hey if you need a SD card ya need one.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I use Pandora to stream for about an hour and a half to 2 hours every weekday and some on the weekends and I use about 1.2GB of data a month to stream. So that is something to consider, especially since premium Pandora is free for all of 2013 on Windows Phone. I'm curious as to just how many songs you have where 20+ GB isn't enough.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I use Pandora to stream for about an hour and a half to 2 hours every weekday and some on the weekends and I use about 1.2GB of data a month to stream. So that is something to consider, especially since premium Pandora is free for all of 2013 on Windows Phone. I'm curious as to just how many songs you have where 20+ GB isn't enough.

The guy already said he doesn't want to stream all of his music, and he doesn't want to use Pandora because he can't select which songs he wants.

WizeGuyDezignz

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not expecting anyone to agree and I'm not being malicious with this, but I will never understand why someone would need over 32gb on a cell phone.

32gb gives you plenty of room to put a lot of music with a wide variety along with pictures, etc. And if room starts to get tight or you want to add some different music, how hard is it to connect to a PC and swap some stuff out?

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not expecting anyone to agree and I'm not being malicious with this, but I will never understand why someone would need over 32gb on a cell phone.

32gb gives you plenty of room to put a lot of music with a wide variety along with pictures, etc. And if room starts to get tight or you want to add some different music, how hard is it to connect to a PC and swap some stuff out?

Well, the OP seems to need it and if that's how he does things then it's valid for his experience.

For the record, I hate having to decide what to put on my device. my phone IS my music player and I use it all the time, including when I teach my Spinning class, so having a large selection to choose from is important. I had my Zune30 full all the time before it died. I do use my "old" Lumia 900 as a mostly dedicated music player since Zune works so well, but I hope XBox Music gets squared away and useable. Then I'll have a storage issue on my Lumia 920.

...oh, and the computer sync software for WP8 is kind of horrible.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, the OP seems to need it and if that's how he does things then it's valid for his experience.
...oh, and the computer sync software for WP8 is kind of horrible.

I was about to say just the opposite... Pick your playllists and hit go. That is terrible.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

^^At the end of the day, it doesn't hurt to have options. For some, 32gb is not enough. I listen to ALOT of music. Not exaggerating. And because of limited data, streaming also isn't an option for me. I also take a ton of pictures. I went with the 820 cause I needed the space an SD card provided

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

There is a reason there are many ipod's out there with more space for music and videos....

rkeenan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

The purpose of this thread is not for me to complain about this because this is the way the 928 will be made. This thread or anything thread will not change the hardware of the 928. I just wanted my voice to be heard so other manufacturers will see that SD cards are needed by some or a 64GB device. I bought the Note 2 back in December because I saw the Nexus 4 had the maximum of 16gb available, which I thought was pathetic. This is why I would not consider a Nexus device. I vote with my dollars and I will not spend a penny on a device that does not have 64gb without sd card or 16-32GB with SD Card. I am not going to spend $100 a year on Spotify because Nokia will not put an SD Card in their device or produce a 64GB device, especially after I have already purchased the music. Plus Spotify does not have the selection I do. I have the Beatles and Zeppelin...they do not. I like the unlimited genres I have on my phone and do not feel I need to compromise. I have everything from Frank Sinatra to Black Sabbath to Wagner to Third Eye Blind to Deicide to Burzum. I like variety and if a company wants to not satisfy my needs, then I will buy from another manufacturer. It is a fantastic phone and I have been waiting since the 920 came out for a high-end Nokia phone on Verizon. The 822 felt too mid-range for me. (I owned it for 10 days, it is in a post above) The 928 is fantastic but it just missed the mark for me to buy it. My friend is getting a new phone and ditching his Droid X. I told him the 928 would be the best phone for him because he never puts music or any media on his phone. I told him that eventually that Windows will overtake Android. He asked about an iPhone and I laughed.

I still support their efforts, I just won't buy their product if it doesn't meet my needs. Simple as that.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
The thing I don't get is how after all these years of flash storage prices going down, we still get the same limited options. We should be able to get 128GB in phones by now.

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The thing I don't get is how after all these years of flash storage prices going down, we still get the same limited options. We should be able to get 128GB in phones by now.

I agree with 100% it is vary ridiculous in todays world not to have 128gb or more built in plus expandable storage! If anything these phones should be modular with ability to expand different parts!

racedog

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I went into a Verizon store last night to look at the 928. It was a lot nicer phone that I expected it to be and even though I had expected to buy the SGS 4 later this week I thought I might change my mind. That is, until I learned that it had 32gb of memory and no slot. I have 29 gigs of music loaded on my s3 w/64gb sd right now and now I am re-thinking the s4. I fly a lot and using the cloud on an airplane is not a consideration. That 29 gigs of music is just a tiny part of my music collection as I have well over 2000 albums and cds of music that I have burned. Changing out music constantly is also not a consideration as I don't know what I want to play until I decide to play some music.

I would have bought the 928 on the spot of their had been a 64 gig version or an sd. For now, I'll just hold off on buying anything to see what might be coming out in the future. I had purchased an 822 a few months ago to try out windows and it was fine but the 822 was just too low end for me. Phone manufacturers really need to give us some flexibility as we don't all have the same needs nor do we all use our phone and features the same way.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I went into a Verizon store last night to look at the 928. It was a lot nicer phone that I expected it to be and even though I had expected to buy the SGS 4 later this week I thought I might change my mind. That is, until I learned that it had 32gb of memory and no slot. I have 29 gigs of music loaded on my s3 w/64gb sd right now and now I am re-thinking the s4. I fly a lot and using the cloud on an airplane is not a consideration. That 29 gigs of music is just a tiny part of my music collection as I have well over 2000 albums and cds of music that I have burned. Changing out music constantly is also not a consideration as I don't know what I want to play until I decide to play some music.

I would have bought the 928 on the spot of their had been a 64 gig version or an sd. For now, I'll just hold off on buying anything to see what might be coming out in the future. I had purchased an 822 a few months ago to try out windows and it was fine but the 822 was just too low end for me. Phone manufacturers really need to give us some flexibility as we don't all have the same needs nor do we all use our phone and features the same way.

The GS4 only has 9.5GB of storage for apps. Although it has a lot of space for music and media in the SD, I think you might still hit a wall with its internal storage. Just something to keep in mind.

racedog

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The GS4 only has 9.5GB of storage for apps. Although it has a lot of space for music and media in the SD, I think you might still hit a wall with its internal storage. Just something to keep in mind.

I know that about the s4, but I don't download a lot of apps so the remaining 9 gigs of space internally is not a problem. I like the 928 better than the s4 but I need an sd. I don't see a way around that right now. I've put buying a new phone on hold right now until I think about this whole thing. I may look at other phones but I wish I could find a way around the 32 gig limit.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon Nokia L 822 has 16 GB internal and I added a 64 GB card. Problem solved. I know some have posted above, that this phone isn't "high end enough" for them to tolerate. For those people, all I can say is that the 64GB must, in reality, not be that important to you. It is to me.

I had hoped to put my 64 GB card in a new colorful Nokia Verizon phone, but I can enjoy all the music, pictures, and video on my 64 GB card in my 822, and wait...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett