Ativ S... My favorite WP8 device.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I must say that my Ativ S is not only my favorite WP8 device but my favorite mobile device overall.

On the other side, the variability in the quality of the Qualcomm SOC is also affecting the Ativ S. In our office 50% of our Ativ S running the exact same firmware and software have a problem where the display crashes while you view things... You only need to push the Windows button to resume, but it is annoying.

I am starting to be convinced that all SOCs for WP8 devices should be made by Intel, not Qualcomm, under license to get around Qualcomm's lousy QC.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I wish we had the ATIV S with super sensitive touch, beats audio and Nokia's camera, that my only problem. Everything on the ATIV S seems half baked vs competitors, except DESGIN. Samsung stepped it up and it looks like the one of the sexiest WP8 device yet. <3

anon(5914335)

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I wish we had the ATIV S with super sensitive touch, beats audio and Nokia's camera, that my only problem. Everything on the ATIV S seems half baked vs competitors, except DESGIN. Samsung stepped it up and it looks like the one of the sexiest WP8 device yet. <3

The Ativ S has a wolfson dac, no way you want beats audio over it.

peterfares

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site

Beats audio on the 8X is bull****. All it is is a preset equalizer configuration that increases the bass response to ridiculous levels.
I don't think the ATIV S is half baked at all. Other than maybe Samsung not including any worthwhile manufacture apps.
The camera on it is very respectable. It is also the only flagship with a removable battery and a microSD slot.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Beats audio on the 8X is bull****. All it is is a preset equalizer configuration that increases the bass response to ridiculous levels.
I don't think the ATIV S is half baked at all. Other than maybe Samsung not including any worthwhile manufacture apps.
The camera on it is very respectable. It is also the only flagship with a removable battery and a microSD slot.
Ok well attacking the 8X isn't the way around here to get heard. offer respectable opinion.. I own all 3 Flagship ( 8X, 920, Ativ S) and out of all I prefer the 8X. I know the strong sides of all them. My sound system at home has an external mixer and even without music on my 8X come out more clear than my 920 and Ativ S through my puritys, rocketfish, and car system. It sounds more legit than the other two, and I know for a fact because I listen to alot of my own music that I make (beats and vocals) an it sound true to life. If I turn off beats and mix everything clearly the L920 and 8X still beat the Ativ s for db w/ out clipping. The L920 camera ****s on both the 8X and Ativ S in lowlight, but in day light I give it to the 8X for sharpness, but 920 for clarity. The only thing the Ativ S has is the looks of the hardware, big screen and micro SD

anon(5914335)

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok well attacking the 8X isn't the way around here to get heard. offer respectable opinion.. I own all 3 Flagship ( 8X, 920, Ativ S) and out of all I prefer the 8X. I know the strong sides of all them. My sound system at home has an external mixer and even without music on my 8X come out more clear than my 920 and Ativ S through my puritys, rocketfish, and car system. It sounds more legit than the other two, and I know for a fact because I listen to alot of my own music that I make (beats and vocals) an it sound true to life. If I turn off beats and mix everything clearly the L920 and 8X still beat the Ativ s for db w/ out clipping. The L920 camera ****s on both the 8X and Ativ S in lowlight, but in day light I give it to the 8X for sharpness, but 920 for clarity. The only thing the Ativ S has is the looks of the hardware, big screen and micro SD

One persons clear is another persons harsh.

Your accessories are far from neutral and the 8x may very well make them sound the best.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't hate the Ativ just because I have an 8x. I'm sure it's a great phone, I don't dislike something just because I have something different.
Sent from my AT&T Cali Blue HTC 8x using Board Express

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
One persons clear is another persons harsh.

Your accessories are far from neutral and the 8x may very well make them sound the best.

My accessories aren't neutral, you don't know my setup. my "Sound System" is a home recording studio system. Good fight, but it's the most neutral it can be.

(4) Sennheiser HD 650's,
(1) Sennheiser HD 600,
(4) ROKIT 8's (Call em rocketfish for "slang" around here since 8 looks like a fish lol I know)

these are all running through a Mackie ProFX 22 and apogee duet for the interface and processing. My PC's sound card is also top line for a home setup. I take pride in recording and mixing music and I know what I'm doing. Sure it isn't studio quality that comes out of the 8X, but it's a hell of a lot better than the previous two. As I stated before I love my ATIV S, the design is amazing and I wish it had everything the other two also had to offer and vice versa. It's probably the best looking and feeling WP8 device yet.

anon(5914335)

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My accessories aren't neutral, you don't know my setup. my "Sound System" is a home recording studio system. Good fight, but it's the most neutral it can be.

(4) Sennheiser HD 650's,
(1) Sennheiser HD 600,
(4) ROKIT 8's (Call em rocketfish for "slang" around here since 8 looks like a fish lol I know)

these are all running through a Mackie ProFX 22 and apogee duet for the interface and processing. My PC's sound card is also top line for a home setup. I take pride in recording and mixing music and I know what I'm doing. Sure it isn't studio quality that comes out of the 8X, but it's a hell of a lot better than the previous two. As I stated before I love my ATIV S, the design is amazing and I wish it had everything the other two also had to offer and vice versa. It's probably the best looking and feeling WP8 device yet.

First off none of the stuff you listed should be plugged into the headphone out jack of a phone, including the Sennheiser's which are way to high impedance for a phone to have any chance of driving properly. If you are using this stuff to decide which phone sounds the best, then the 8x might be the best sounding phone to you as I said.

PS) Sennheiser HD650s aren't neutral, they are warm of neutral with a mid bass hump. That's what makes them so fun to listen to, especially in long sessions. I enjoy my set but only when driving them with a proper headphone amp in a dead quiet environment.

I won't comment on your rokit's, I sold mine and moved up to some genelecs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786