scenes:
auto-means as it says
close up-basically macro mode focus distance about 6"
night-good for taking night shots
night portrait-good for night portraits
sports-used for action shots
backlight- for when lighting is behind the subject
iso:
a way to control light the higher the number the more sensitive it is to light, but also adds more noise to your photos
white balance:
auto-tries to determine best wb
cloudy-used on overcast days
daylight-used in of course daylight, light cloud coverage
flourescent-used under flourescent light(think at the office)
incandecent-used under incandescent lighting(typical light bulb)
exposure value- used to offset exposure
the thing about this is if it's bright you want to reduce, and if it's dark you want to increase(ex.you meter a black shirt , you want to increase to properly expose the rest of the scene)

use these thing in combination to achieve the best photos. but always try to get the correct white balance.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that thread shouldn't have been closed so quickly and I'm a bit surprised it was. Just because the OP swapped his phone doesn't mean others will have issues and come here thinking the same thing. It's kind of baffling to me the thread got closed.

Anyway, as a counterpoint to him, here's the same fountain I had been taking pictures of. I posted my original because they were terrible, and had a shot from the Trophy to compare (also terrible.)
Here are better conditions, showing why you can't judge a camera on an afternoon.
WP_20130518_027.jpg

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ nice click!

I still think that there should be a way to switch between 16:9 and 4:3 aspect ratio ..vertical 16:9 shots tend to be a tad too "long". Like in your case, you can take a step backwards, but you will have a more square pic :)

lisainsf

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
nice job Vlad!
I agree the other thread should have been left open. Your original shot was a dark subject against a backlit sky under cloudy conditions as I recall, a tough shot for most meters/sensors. Next time try the backlit setting in that situation it may help. This one came out much better because you have a well lit focal point and a nice dark background.

phatfield

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Was on a different thread where many were befuddled about "poor" picture quality -soft pictures were KILLING me! Just found the link about the default photos app "Picture Hub" displaying pictures with a little less detail to improve panning, etc. (article here HD Photo Viewer, a sharper view of your Windows Phone 8 photos? | Windows Phone Central).

If you are doubting the performance of this camera, please download the program mentioned in the article - there is a free trial. I'll bet this will squelch any concerns. I was getting ready to return my phone after spending the better part of the weekend trying to figure out why my results weren't jiving with others. Now, photos that lacked detail (or so I thought) on the default viewer app look AMAZING. I am so glad I came across the article! Probably would have caught it had it come out near May 16! Doh!

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I use my camera on my phone every day for work and usually take around 15-30 photos a day which get emailed. By far the 928 has the best photo quality of any device I have ever owned to date. The photos are as good if not better than my Sony 16mp point and shoot. For a all in one device the camera is nothing less than spectacular IMO.
Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

phatfield

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Are you e-mailing these out of Photo Hub? What is a typical image size? I had e-mailed photos with my 822 to myself, wondering if the display resolution of the phone was one of the reasons the images didn't appear to turn out as I expected. E-mailing the photos left me with the same problem. It turns out images that are 2.5MB or so on the camera, were e-mailed at 300-400KB. Is there a way to e-mail an image at the original file size?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
These were all taken in a room with a single lamp with shade using with a 40 watt bulb 10 feet to the right of the window. The room was pretty dim. I used full auto everything, full auto no flash, night mode flash & no flash & close-up mode flash & no flash. The light photos are with no flash, the dark photos are with flash on. Amazing camera!!

Lumia 928 Close-up mode flash off.jpg

Lumia 928 close-up mode flash on 2.jpgLumia 928 close-up mode flash on.jpgLumia 928 Full auto flash off.jpgLumia 928 Full auto flash on.jpgLumia 928 night mode flash off.jpgLumia 928 Night mode flash on.jpg

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I believe that the original thread was closed due to the op using an intentionally provocative title. Instead of being posed as a place for thoughtful camera issues it was set up to be confrontational. I am sure other threads with more productive themes will persist.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi, can someone please explain the difference between 16:9 and 4:3 and under which conditions should i choose either? Thanks. :)
These are aspect ratios. Length:width ratios.
16:9 is longer; 4:3 is wider.
I'd recommend 16:9 for videos and photos in landscape in general because a lot of screens are based off 16:9, 15:9 and 16:10 aspect ratios.

Then again, I'm not an expert in photography :)

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you e-mailing these out of Photo Hub? What is a typical image size? I had e-mailed photos with my 822 to myself, wondering if the display resolution of the phone was one of the reasons the images didn't appear to turn out as I expected. E-mailing the photos left me with the same problem. It turns out images that are 2.5MB or so on the camera, were e-mailed at 300-400KB. Is there a way to e-mail an image at the original file size?

I believe all phones do this.

I have my phone uploading full quality to SkyDrive (wifi needed, which is actually part of the reason I chose it - it won't upload a thing over my data plan this way), and I download from there.

phatfield

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I came over from the dark side - we had a chance to choose image size before sending. Your method does the trick! I really appreciate your post. Since I have learned about how Photo Hub works, I am soooo happy with my 928!

I believe all phones do this.

I have my phone uploading full quality to SkyDrive (wifi needed, which is actually part of the reason I chose it - it won't upload a thing over my data plan this way), and I download from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99