Group Messaging?

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I hear you man, it's annoying as snot when all my iFriends start a group message and I can only respond to one of them at a time! Planning dinner is tough

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Now that I've established you have no clear evidence of your statement - as someone who too has obsessively followed the 822 AND 928, and as someone who additionally has been following group MMS obsessively, there has NEVER been a public statement by VZW regarding this issue. The best anyone has ever been able to provide is a screencap of a support chat. Considering that support personnel routinely get simple facts wrong, I don't personally find this to be terribly reliable. In fact, the editor-in-chief of this very website confuses multiple-recepient SMS with group MMS, so I wouldn't put it past a low-level chat support to do the same. It'd be nice if you spoke less definitively about something if you have nothing with which to back it up. I'm not saying a fix isn't coming. I hope it is. But you, again, have nothing.

Take this for whatever you want, but I have had high up relationship managers tell me it is coming, and also received this email (and notice it IS NOT from a low level tech support team, but a group that spent over a week looking into it for me).

On your SMS/MMS mixup comment, you're actually misinformed. Group (threaded) text messaging is actually done through MMS as SMS doesn't have the appropriate infrastructure. For example, my personal phone is one our corporate account and once they decided to stop paying for MMS, I no longer received group text messages. Annoyingly, it doesnt tell the sender that the message is never received

Attachments

• VZW.jpg
    VZW.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I recall a few months ago someone here had a long conversation with Verizon support. The rep was confused that the 822 didn't have it because the Trophy did.

The caller made the rep continue digging and got another department in the line. They discovers that it was intentionally gimped. Verizon specifically made the request for that feature to be left out of their Windows Phone handsets.

A call was placed to Nokia and they said the same thing. It was a request from Verizon.

If something is coming, it's not a "fix" because nothing was broken.

I bet it's a way to integrate Verizon's own proprietary group text service.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Take this for whatever you want, but I have had high up relationship managers tell me it is coming, and also received this email (and notice it IS NOT from a low level tech support team, but a group that spent over a week looking into it for me).

On your SMS/MMS mixup comment, you're actually misinformed. Group (threaded) text messaging is actually done through MMS as SMS does have the appropriate infrastructure. For example, my personal phone is one our corporate account and once they decided to stop paying for MMS, I no longer received group text messages. Annoyingly, it doesnt tell the sender that the message is never received

...I know?

I've never denied there has been a trickle of various VZW employees implying a fix was coming, but nothing official has ever been put out; not that one would expect such a thing to be a PR release anyway

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Yup.

Group chat through MMS was not broken. It was intentionally removed as requested by Verizon because of this.

From what many suspect it's a security issue - there is something about the way Microsoft does it that Verizon doesn't like.
Again, if this is true, the question is whether this is due to something on the Verizon side or something on the Microsoft side. Who would be the one to fix it?

It was almost definitely not removed for a reason other than something not working as Verizon intended. Whether you say this is "broken" or not, it is extremely unlikely that it was arbitrary and Verizon just said "y'know, why should WP8 users have a feature standard on every other OS on every other carrier? F'm, let's remove it!"

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
From what many suspect it's a security issue - there is something about the way Microsoft does it that Verizon doesn't like.
Again, if this is true, the question is whether this is due to something on the Verizon side or something on the Microsoft side. Who would be the one to fix it?

It was almost definitely not removed for a reason other than something not working as Verizon intended. Whether you say this is "broken" or not, it is extremely unlikely that it was arbitrary and Verizon just said "y'know, why should WP8 users have a feature standard on every other OS on every other carrier? F'm, let's remove it!"
I received an email from support stating this was the reason, for whatever that's worth

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think we should be pestering Microsoft for a fix, not Verizon. Microsoft should have appeased Verizon from the start instead of making us suffer.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think we should be pestering Microsoft for a fix, not Verizon. Microsoft should have appeased Verizon from the start instead of making us suffer.

What fix? The functionality is part of the OS.

The reason it's not there is because it was removed.

Why was it removed?

Well, Verizon has their own thing rolling out soon...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea