How do you close a running program

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a radio program running called TuneIn radio. No idea on earth how to just close it. Holding the Back button or the Window icon down don't do anything that I can grasp.

I must be missing something real simple here. I have a Lumia 920 WP8. There are no answers that I can find to this rather basic question online, at least any that work for me anyway.

I like the phone a lot, but this basic issue is deeply frustrating. Please help with some advice that a 4-year-old would understand.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
...or, you just press the windows key and forget about it.

Ignoring bugs, which do exist in some apps, there is nothing to be gained from closing apps.

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I realize there are supposed to be no resources gained by closing, but I would simply like to turn the radio program off so I don't hear it, that's all.

Holding the Window icon brings up speech recognition. Holding down the left arrow gets me to a start screen.

dhugos

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I think I found a solution, at least to TuneIn. Turn the phone off, then on again. For about 5 seconds, the app shows up on the top of the screen, displaying what looks like a pause button. But it seems to actually turn the program off.

So I guess I'll go with that. Many thanks everyone.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I get what you are saying. Sorry again! Yeah audio apps that run in the background stay playing once you get out of them. When it is playing, just press a volume key and the audio controls pop up. Just press the pause button like you did then.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I did that, but to no effect.

1)
I too meant to only press the windows key, not hold it, which brings you back to the start screen.

2)
I suspect you are asking for the wrong thing. You want to stop the audio, right? That is not the same thing as closing the app, as audio will continue in the background, even if the app is closed.

You can stop streaming audio from within InTune by pressing the stop button on the bottom left, or from anywhere in WP by pressing the volume rocker (again, that doesn't mean hold) and then pressing the pause button that pops up.

U_SAF

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
closing an app in Windows Phone is a big issue, my son sometimes open plenty of games, apps, etc. ... once he finished with that, I just restart my phone instead tapping 20 times to close an app!

There is no perfect phone out there in this world! previously used Nokia N9....swipe down to close an app, so easy so simple. Looking forward to Jolla!

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
closing an app in Windows Phone is a big issue, my son sometimes open plenty of games, apps, etc. ... once he finished with that, I just restart my phone instead tapping 20 times to close an app!

There is no perfect phone out there in this world! previously used Nokia N9....swipe down to close an app, so easy so simple. Looking forward to Jolla!

I disagree with that ... I have plenty of apps installed and they are very controlled by OS (not running on background without permission, closed by OS) ... well, battery apps is not so good one, so you can not really trust that one ...

By the way, you do not need to restart, if you want close audio, etc. - just go right from lock screen and open "kid's corner" and then come back and you will see that all apps are closed, including audio ... even there is no any point to close audio completely, as it is sleep state until you will click "play" again (for resuming it from sleep state) ...

Last edited:

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Just play a video and the audio window will go away.

I hope MS will fix this so that once a music streaming app, the audio player will get turned off and the track information(from the mini volume slide) disappears.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I like to continue easily playing my songs or what ever I have been playing earlier, so I wish that they will keep that mini audio player ON (sleep state), not turning it OFF (clearing it off) ... I really like to continue playing with 3 clicks (clicking just power - volume down - play) ...

Torch4x4

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
You can stop any music with the "volume controls" then "pause", for any app it's the same case just pause, I don't care if the app is paused and not closed that thing never cause any lag or resource consumption on my WP, we have to understand how WP works before suggest any change because sometimes is above our paradigms, I don’t care if android or iOS works different and everybody needs multiple steps to close apps… the easy way is “pause” and it’s the best option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb