I have a radio program running called TuneIn radio. No idea on earth how to just close it. Holding the Back button or the Window icon down don't do anything that I can grasp.

I must be missing something real simple here. I have a Lumia 920 WP8. There are no answers that I can find to this rather basic question online, at least any that work for me anyway.

I like the phone a lot, but this basic issue is deeply frustrating. Please help with some advice that a 4-year-old would understand.
    05-21-2013 07:59 PM
    You get into the app and press the back arrow until you go to another app or the start screen.
    05-21-2013 08:03 PM
    ...or, you just press the windows key and forget about it.

Ignoring bugs, which do exist in some apps, there is nothing to be gained from closing apps.
    05-21-2013 08:09 PM
    I realize there are supposed to be no resources gained by closing, but I would simply like to turn the radio program off so I don't hear it, that's all.

Holding the Window icon brings up speech recognition. Holding down the left arrow gets me to a start screen.
    05-21-2013 08:21 PM
    But the radio program still runs.
    05-21-2013 08:22 PM
    But the radio program still runs.
    I meant press it over and over, don't hold the back arrow down. My bad.
    05-21-2013 08:23 PM
    Hmm, I did that, but to no effect.
    05-21-2013 08:29 PM
    I think I found a solution, at least to TuneIn. Turn the phone off, then on again. For about 5 seconds, the app shows up on the top of the screen, displaying what looks like a pause button. But it seems to actually turn the program off.

So I guess I'll go with that. Many thanks everyone.
    05-21-2013 08:31 PM
    I get what you are saying. Sorry again! Yeah audio apps that run in the background stay playing once you get out of them. When it is playing, just press a volume key and the audio controls pop up. Just press the pause button like you did then.
    05-21-2013 08:33 PM
    Hmm, I did that, but to no effect.
    1)
    I too meant to only press the windows key, not hold it, which brings you back to the start screen.

2)
    I suspect you are asking for the wrong thing. You want to stop the audio, right? That is not the same thing as closing the app, as audio will continue in the background, even if the app is closed.

You can stop streaming audio from within InTune by pressing the stop button on the bottom left, or from anywhere in WP by pressing the volume rocker (again, that doesn't mean hold) and then pressing the pause button that pops up.
    05-21-2013 08:39 PM
    Download "Stop The Music".
    05-21-2013 11:14 PM
    closing an app in Windows Phone is a big issue, my son sometimes open plenty of games, apps, etc. ... once he finished with that, I just restart my phone instead tapping 20 times to close an app!

There is no perfect phone out there in this world! previously used Nokia N9....swipe down to close an app, so easy so simple. Looking forward to Jolla!
    05-22-2013 03:24 AM
    closing an app in Windows Phone is a big issue, my son sometimes open plenty of games, apps, etc. ... once he finished with that, I just restart my phone instead tapping 20 times to close an app!

There is no perfect phone out there in this world! previously used Nokia N9....swipe down to close an app, so easy so simple. Looking forward to Jolla!
    I disagree with that ... I have plenty of apps installed and they are very controlled by OS (not running on background without permission, closed by OS) ... well, battery apps is not so good one, so you can not really trust that one ...

By the way, you do not need to restart, if you want close audio, etc. - just go right from lock screen and open "kid's corner" and then come back and you will see that all apps are closed, including audio ... even there is no any point to close audio completely, as it is sleep state until you will click "play" again (for resuming it from sleep state) ...
    Last edited by Jaripi; 05-22-2013 at 05:36 AM.
    05-22-2013 05:15 AM
    closing an app in Windows Phone is a big issue...
    I would also disagree. I think this is a completely irrelevant issue.
    05-22-2013 06:30 AM
    Android has programmed the world to think that closing apps are necessary.
    05-22-2013 06:46 AM
    'Stop the music' app works for me.
    05-22-2013 07:30 AM
    Just play a video and the audio window will go away.

I hope MS will fix this so that once a music streaming app, the audio player will get turned off and the track information(from the mini volume slide) disappears.
    05-22-2013 07:38 AM
    I like to continue easily playing my songs or what ever I have been playing earlier, so I wish that they will keep that mini audio player ON (sleep state), not turning it OFF (clearing it off) ... I really like to continue playing with 3 clicks (clicking just power - volume down - play) ...
    Torch4x4 likes this.
    05-22-2013 08:43 AM
    I like that you don't have to micro manage anything on WP.
    05-22-2013 08:56 AM
    You can stop any music with the "volume controls" then "pause", for any app it's the same case just pause, I don't care if the app is paused and not closed that thing never cause any lag or resource consumption on my WP, we have to understand how WP works before suggest any change because sometimes is above our paradigms, I don’t care if android or iOS works different and everybody needs multiple steps to close apps… the easy way is “pause” and it’s the best option.
    05-22-2013 10:11 AM
    I'm generally very happy with the Lumia 920. I see that you can hit the pause button with Pandora, which I guess is OK because apparently it then consumes no resources, which is important because I think battery life is perhaps a bit of an issue. But then it turns on inexplicably for no reason that I can figure out, like when it's on the charging pad for a while (which I think is an outstanding feature). I'll be working at my desk, or driving along in my car with my phone lying on the seat, and lo and behold, for no apparent reason (I know: there's ALWAYS a reason) the music comes on! Just seems like Pandora would be designed with a close button - you know, give people a choice? What's the harm? I did download 'Stop the Music!" and it works fine, but it just strikes me as a little odd that I needed an app to completely shut down Pandora. It's certainly workable, and I still love the phone, but this one's a head-scratcher.
    05-23-2013 08:54 AM
    I have a Nokia Lumia 822. When I'm in Pandora and want to quit for the day, I've tried several things but to no avail.

I hit Pause then use the back key until I get to the home screen.

Then I put the phone in my purse. About 15 minutes later I hear music! Yes, my phone automatically begins Pandora again. So I take it out of my purse and ensure I didn't accidentally slide the screen so it automatically unlocked. No I didn't.

So I go back into Pandora, Pause again, then hit the Home key and it stops. I then put the phone in my cubbie in my car, instead of my purse. Lo and behold, it starts playing again, by itself.

In order get it to stop, I turn off the phone for a few minutes and then turn it back on.

Also, while listening to Pandora...the volume is fine, then it goes down, then it comes back up all on its own. And ideas on how to fix that too?

Thanks.
    05-23-2013 02:05 PM
    I hit Pause then use the back key until I get to the home screen.Then I put the phone in my purse. About 15 minutes later I hear music! Yes, my phone automatically begins Pandora again.
    I'm generally very happy with the Lumia 920. I see that you can hit the pause button with Pandora, which I guess is OK because apparently it then consumes no resources, which is important because I think battery life is perhaps a bit of an issue. But then it turns on inexplicably for no reason that I can figure out
    It sounds like both of you are experiencing the same issue. I've never seen such behaviour, but I don't use Pandora either, which hints that Pandora may be the culprit. Google surfaces hits that support that suspicion.

I suspect Pandora is maintaining a background audio task that (more or less randomly?) restarts streaming at some point. You can test this by doing the following:

When you are finished with Pandora, play any random track with the XBOX music app (you can pin that track to the start screen to simplify testing), and only after that press pause. This will remove Pandora's audio background task. If Pandora doesn't restart after taking that extra step, then you can be sure it's a problem with Pandora. All you can do then is wait for Pandora to release a bugfix.

You might also want to go over to Pandora's support page to see if they can help you out.
    05-23-2013 02:35 PM
    You're probably right about Pandora. For me TuneIn has also gone out of pause mode for no apparent reason.

It just starts playing. It's not the end of the world, and really kind of amusing.

That Stop the Music app definitely does the job!
    05-24-2013 10:58 AM
    And thanks for the Xbox advice as well...
    05-24-2013 10:58 AM