Coming from Blackberry 10 a few questions

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I was thinking about moving from BB10 to WP8, but now that you mention the lack of led notification on the Lumia 920, I think I will wait a little longer.
That is real deal-breaker for me.

The live tiles sort of negates that for me because I have tiles set up for everything and generally when I turn my phone on, I usually do a quick scroll down my tiles and check to see if I have any news.

I've been blessed to not have to deal with lag, freezing or reboots with my 920 as well 😊

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 920 since December and I haven't had a single issue with it. At all. Pretty stable, especially after having used Android phones since the OG Droid.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I was thinking about moving from BB10 to WP8, but now that you mention the lack of led notification on the Lumia 920, I think I will wait a little longer.

If you are heavy user of emails and other comm, notification light should't matter, because it would blink all the time. For me, that get one message/day it does matter. A bit.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
iPhone notification also works same way and millions of people use it. So no, it is not a fail.

There's notifications in the sense that if your phone is asleep, a toast (banner) will wake up and display the message. Personally I hate this since its an intrusion for all to see. Also i keep my phone on silent so if I'm out of the room and I get a message, I never know until I turn on the device to see. Hence, the missing of a light notification is a huge fail. If you don't have a live tile near the top of your screen, you will also not see any notifications until you scroll over to that tile. Why they don't have a unified notification centre is mind boggling. But i know it will be coming soon so that's a relief.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Then keep waiting. Even iphone doesn't have it, and only some android phones have it. It was a deal breaker for me too, when I moved from Nokia's symbian phones to iPhone, but after some usage, don't miss it anymore.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I currently came over from blackberry after 5 years. There's a lot of stuff that the l920 excels at which are social media and the me tile which is a great way to post to various networks. I also really enjoy the email layout as well as the integration with SkyDrive and one note. Where it truly fails is the lack of notifications and how it puts communication not at the forefront. In all honesty, because of this, I may end up going back to blackberry in the fall. I really hate missing communication and feel disconnected all the time. I need that red light again.

There's notifications in the sense that if your phone is asleep, a toast (banner) will wake up and display the message. Personally I hate this since its an intrusion for all to see. Also i keep my phone on silent so if I'm out of the room and I get a message, I never know until I turn on the device to see. Hence, the missing of a light notification is a huge fail. If you don't have a live tile near the top of your screen, you will also not see any notifications until you scroll over to that tile. Why they don't have a unified notification centre is mind boggling. But i know it will be coming soon so that's a relief.

There's not enough room on the homescreen to get all notifications. You get a maximum of 6 specifically chosen ones you want which is ridiculous considering there's often corporate and personal email accounts (separated icons), calls, skype, facebook, twitter, linkedin, text messages, whatsapp.. .the list goes on and to not to able to see all the notifications instantly is a fail. Sure there's the live tiles but unless you place them near the top where you can read them, they can easily get lost as well. Secondly, if you don't have a live tile, you would never know about the notification (if it wasn't placed on the lock screen). The home screen shouldn't be set as 6 specific chosen icons..it should just have any notification that come in. At the end of the day it still works, but like i mentioned before, wp8 does not put communication first. I frequently miss messages for hours.

But i will say, the email panes with "unread, tagged, urgent" is an incredible feature that i commend wp8 for implementing. Their integration with Skydrive backing up photos and videos is amazing. I also am impressed with One Note integration like the poster above. I constantly make lists and notes on my computer (as well as the One Note web app in skydrive) and it perfectly syncs with One Note on the phone. Great feature! I've ditched DropBox as a result.

I was referring to the Lock screen, not the home screen..my mistake! I definitely agree you can put all your notifications at the top of your homescreen if i wanted. I don't use Skype all that often, so i don't bother placing it near the top of my screen. If i do get a message though, it would be sometimes hours before i notice it. I guess that's my own fault obviously. I just think that there should be a central location for all notifications. I would say the lock screen would have been the best if there was unlimited number of notifications on it. (or least not restricted to the 6 i've chosen to be notified on). It just be all of them. I know that they're working on a better solution in the next update so i'm sure i'll be satisfied by whatever they do. I really wished they made use of the windows button on the bottom and turned it into a notification light. That would be ideal. On my blackberry i had customized colour notification lights for certain apps and as well as even certain individuals. The customization on notifications was amazing since i didn't even need to look at the phone and i would know exactly who it was or what app it was. I guess it's a small trade off for the things that microsoft/nokia have been able to do.

I think you are confusing yourself between notification and communication! WP8 lacks led notifications and central notification tile/centre. But WP8 doesn't lack communication. For communication WP8 has the following integrated into the OS:

1. Facebook
  2. Skype Chat
  3. LinkedIn
  4. Facebook Chat
  5. Twitter
  6. Outlook
  7. Hotmail
  8. Gmail
  9. Yahoo
  10. Any other emails
  11. Text
  12. Calls

And apps:

1. Whatsapp
  2. Viber
  3. Line
  4. WeChat
  5. IM+
  6. Kik
  7. Itsdagram
  8. Flyby

All these are forms of communication that can be used on WP8. I may have missed out a few. Nearly 20 ways to communicate to someone and you think "WP8 fails in communication"?

What WP8 doesn't do is "put notifications first" which is what you want. WP "puts people first". If you understood how WP is designed and what its philosophy is, you may be at peace with yourself. Put people who matters to you first. Pin them. You will see how much convenient that is. Pin your email clients on top. Pin your chat clients. It doesn't take up the whole screen with 3 sizes of icons.

You won't get a LED notification on any WP8 but you won't get live tiles on any BB either. It's trade-off, a good one.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think I saw a video on phonedog showing the lumia 925 start button was blinking. Doesnt that mean WP has LED notifications? I wasn't charging because there was no charger or wireless charging pad. So its very possible its a LED light

Last edited:

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I think I saw a video on phonedog showing the lumia 925 start button was blinking. Doesnt that mean WP has LED notifications? I wasn't charging because there was no charger or wireless charging pad. So its very possible its a LED light

Yes, WP has support for notification light.

pmich

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I think you are confusing yourself between notification and communication! WP8 lacks led notifications and central notification tile/centre. But WP8 doesn't lack communication. For communication WP8 has the following integrated into the OS:

1. Facebook
  2. Skype Chat
  3. LinkedIn
  4. Facebook Chat
  5. Twitter
  6. Outlook
  7. Hotmail
  8. Gmail
  9. Yahoo
  10. Any other emails
  11. Text
  12. Calls

And apps:

1. Whatsapp
  2. Viber
  3. Line
  4. WeChat
  5. IM+
  6. Kik
  7. Itsdagram
  8. Flyby

All these are forms of communication that can be used on WP8. I may have missed out a few. Nearly 20 ways to communicate to someone and you think "WP8 fails in communication"?

What WP8 doesn't do is "put notifications first" which is what you want. WP "puts people first". If you understood how WP is designed and what its philosophy is, you may be at peace with yourself. Put people who matters to you first. Pin them. You will see how much convenient that is. Pin your email clients on top. Pin your chat clients. It doesn't take up the whole screen with 3 sizes of icons.

You won't get a LED notification on any WP8 but you won't get live tiles on any BB either. It's trade-off, a good one.

I totally agree with you that there's several methods of communication on wp8 like you mentioned above. I'm still referring to the notification system lacking. For all the apps that require notifications (and there's too many to count eg. email clients, whatsapp, texts etc), i have to use all the space at the top of my Screen which as i mentioned before isn't ideal. There's apps such an Skype which i rarely use but i recently received a notification for but it was hours before i realized it had come in. It's because that tile was placed in the middle/bottom of the screen. What i'm suggesting is that all notifications (not limited to 6) should be present on the lock screen. I shouldn't have to pick and choose which 6 show up on the lock screen. I also have to hit the lock screen button, swipe up, enter my password (as required by my work) just to see what other notifications i have. Doing this 30-40 times a day gets annoying ..Hence, why getting all notifications on the lock screen is important.. They'll be fixing this in the next update anyways so i'll be fine by then.

On another note, your mention of how wp8 puts "people" first is right on point. I do love that feature and i have selected group tiles of friends and coworkers which makes interacting with them amazing. Being able to see all recent communication with them and posting to social networks which is integrated through out the OS is why i love wp8 so much.

raacut

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The failure to take any sort of critisism on WP8 is probably the most harmful thing to happen to this lovely platform. You actually had someone arguing that its fine to have all your notifications have the same sound. http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...do-all-apps-have-same-notification-sound.html

I absolutely love the UI , its fluid and lag free. The build of the Lumia 920 in particular is absolutely breathtaking.

But please , stop acting like its the most feature rich platform out there. I still don't get push notifications from Facebook and i'm not the only one. Notifications as the person above me said should be on the lock-screen. All of them should be. Having to unlock your phone to find out if you got a notification or not, is annoying.
You cant set custom tones ( have to choose from stock) for IM and sms either. And the notification that you choose will be the same across all notifications ( viber , whatsapp , wechat , sms , etc).

Other things that bother me :-

No lock screen orientation (people say its application specific but even stock email , sms , people etc apps dont have it)
No universal search in the phone.
No sound profiles for your phone . And every time you have to toggle vibrate u have to do it from settings.
I kind of got use to the no LED notification , but its definitely something i miss from my old Symbian phone.

call a spade a spade

robert_in_la

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to add something here. As much as I really like my Lumia 920 - Windows 8 doesn't allow you to attach a PDF to an email. Yes you can forward an email with a PDF attached but you can't write a fresh email and attach a PDF from your phone. Microsoft did add a feature a couple of months ago that allows you to send a PDF in an email as a link to your Sky Drive account but it's not a proper attachment.

Personally I find this to be really bad. There are many times someone will send me an email with a PDF attached and I don't want to forward the contents of the email, just the PDF. In the past on my BB or Android phone I would download the PDF to my phone and attach it to an new email. With Windows you can't do that.

Honestly I am not sure how Microsoft keeps overlooking something as simple as this. When I brought it up to my friend who works up in Redmond he was surprised it couldn't do it. Not to mention so where the tech guys at the Microsoft Store in Century City.

robert_in_la

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree. Criticism shouldn't be taken personal - the information or should I say view point on has might be truly valid which could benefit / make the OS of whatever device it is better the underlying using. People shouldn't be put down or attacked for it.

Regarding the non-LED notification, as much as I liked it I personally find the UI impressive enough to overlook not having the LED notification. Albeit I use my phone for work I don't mind taking a break from being a slave to the damn thing and not having the LED allows me to relax a bit!

Last edited:

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to add something here. As much as I really like my Lumia 920 - Windows 8 doesn't allow you to attach a PDF to an email. Yes you can forward an email with a PDF attached but you can't write a fresh email and attach a PDF from your phone. Microsoft did add a feature a couple of months ago that allows you to send a PDF in an email as a link to your Sky Drive account but it's not a proper attachment.

Personally I find this to be really bad. There are many times someone will send me an email with a PDF attached and I don't want to forward the contents of the email, just the PDF. In the past on my BB or Android phone I would download the PDF to my phone and attach it to an new email. With Windows you can't do that.

Honestly I am not sure how Microsoft keeps overlooking something as simple as this. When I brought it up to my friend who works up in Redmond he was surprised it couldn't do it. Not to mention so where the tech guys at the Microsoft Store in Century City.
Just started a thread on this:

Emailing/sharing PDFs

wcrandall

May 22, 2013
Visit site

Ok so this could be a problem. I work in a design and engineering environmemnt I am on jobsights contantly and I get PDFs all the time that need to be sent out to customers. So from what you are saying its no problem to forward the email with the PDF, but I can not just save a native PDF to the phone then attach it to a new email? if thats the case then its a problem for me. that does seem like a simple process, I wouldn't have even thought about that if you didn't bring it up. I was able to do that on Android and currently on Blackberry 10 its not an issue. hmmm something to think about.

robert_in_la

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok so this could be a problem. I work in a design and engineering environmemnt I am on jobsights contantly and I get PDFs all the time that need to be sent out to customers. So from what you are saying its no problem to forward the email with the PDF, but I can not just save a native PDF to the phone then attach it to a new email? if thats the case then its a problem for me. that does seem like a simple process, I wouldn't have even thought about that if you didn't bring it up. I was able to do that on Android and currently on Blackberry 10 its not an issue. hmmm something to think about.

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying - you can download the native PDF but you "can not" attach it to a new email.

Again the techs at the Microsoft Store and my buddy who is an executive at Microsoft where all "surprised by this" - of which they did confirmed to me later that it is not available at this time... and that was 5 months ago since I first approached them.

robert_in_la

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Just started a thread on this:

Emailing/sharing PDFs

I saw it after my post... again I was just sharing it so that the people who are thinking about the differences between the two platforms are aware of this In all honestly I love my phone and I am very happy with it but I might have to switch to something else as its starting to be come a time consuming issue since I don't work from an office all the time.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know if its exclusive to the newer Lumia's, or all have this feature thats secretly hidden??

In my opinion No. The HTC 8X has a LED notification. That's just Nokia's way of implementing it. HTC can expand there's through an update. But there were rumours it was part of GDR2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb