512 Ram limitation and lack of games

Ali Rahman1

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm really disappointed by the fact that 512 RAM issue is giving people like us who want good gaming experience on their Nokia 620. New titles which are being released which are even though old still have 1GB requirement which is a plain disappointed and discouragement from the Microsoft team and developers. Just to give u an example my friend has a crappy old Xperia J with a outdated single core chipset and 512 and he can play games like Temple Run 2 with ease while windows store has only Temple Run which has 1GB limitation. If things go like this i may have to switch my platform.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The problem is with the developers only releasing apps and games for the 1 GB devices. If the apps they do release for the 1 GB phones do well and become popular then they may release a version for the 512 MB devices but it is solely up to the devs whether it's worth their while or not.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Give it some time. Usually the developers will optimize them later on, unless of course the game/app is very demanding in which case they cannot do anything.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how much time they need, here are the facts. There will be games that will never get optimized for 512 ram because it isn't worth the effort. That is why this type of fragementation is going to hurt more than help. I understand they want to get the device at a low price point, but it doesnt help if your devices can't play many games. Especially some top level titles.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Well If you are more serious into gaming with a phone, you should have gotten a phone with at least 1 GB ram. There are a lot of developers which cannot afford the money or the time to optimize their games e.g Temple Run. I would not say that they will never optimize it but it is up to the developer. Time will tell. The TuneIn app was only working for devices with 1 GB ram but they did update it and it is now fully working on 512 MB ram phones.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Well If you are more serious into gaming with a phone, you should have gotten a phone with at least 1 GB ram. There are a lot of developers which cannot afford the money or the time to optimize their games e.g Temple Run. I would not say that they will never optimize it but it is up to the developer. Time will tell. The TuneIn app was only working for devices with 1 GB ram but they did update it and it is now fully working on 512 MB ram phones.

You miss the point, MS shouldn't be talking **** about google and fragmentation when their own platform has fragmentation. Google is software related and MS is hardware related.

Even if somebody isn't a serious gamer and wanted to download temple run, can't do it. Even puzzle craft which is not a graphic intensive game and not large in file size is 1 gb ram required? is you serious?

Its not just the big games, simple games can't be downloaded as well because of the requirement.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Any game that does not play on 512 MB ram devices it is because the developer has not optimized it for the hardware. They hardware is good enough because you can see that games on android can be played on similar hardware even though android and WP are totally different. I am not saying that Microsoft should let this slip though. They should do something about it before it is too late. Until then everything is up to the developers. However, people need to realize that some games are made from very small teams of developers. They probably do as much as they can. You are always free to ask the developer about his plans and if he has any to support devices with 512 MB ram.

mark4130

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Im getting sick of the 512Mg limitation. Even the app for this very site is being impacted by it, hence the patch released today.
I think its more widespread than people realise, so many apps seem to hang for no reason more and more often.
This, combined with the inability to get the protective shell, is driving me to the point of binning Windows and going back to Android.

keylex90

May 25, 2013
Visit site
It's quite hard for developers to consider all factors in developing their apps since most of the users now wanting high end apps. In short, it's hard to please everyone.

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Im getting sick of the 512Mg limitation. Even the app for this very site is being impacted by it, hence the patch released today.
I think its more widespread than people realise, so many apps seem to hang for no reason more and more often.
This, combined with the inability to get the protective shell, is driving me to the point of binning Windows and going back to Android.

What apps hang for you?

mark4130

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Well today MeTweets has hung twice, Facebook runs like a dog (but I think thats just because every Facebook app on WP8 is shockingly poor), even a very simple game like Penguin freezes every 3rd or 4th game. The Windows Central app seems a bit more stable since the patch, but its ridiculous that a simple text and graphic static screen should even have that issue in the first place!
And I have hard rest already, and freshly installed everything. It just seems that when it gets to a certain level of apps on the phone, it starts becoming very fragile and flaky.
I think I have decided to get a new phone tomorrow, the 620 can go to my wife who will use nothing except texting, whatsapp and the camera!

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Good for you mate. The best phone is the one that suits you best! I have not experience any problem with Wpcentral app and I can say I tend to use it quite a lot. Facebook is slow yes but I think the beta is much better in speed.

mark4130

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I think it may be more what I want the phone to do being the issue rather than the actual phone at fault. I still love it as a usable little handset - up to the point where it seems to become unstable!

constantinosmi

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
How does exactly become unstable? Do you mean the apps? It is strange because I do not experience any problem or anything with the phone. I would check it if I were you.

chklumia

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
that's why i sold my lumia 620.It give me a lot of fun and a taste to a whole new platform,hardware wise,i love it,but the os not really suit for me...but,still it is a great phone :smile:

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
It?s a budget or midrange phone. You get what you pay for. This happens in almost every platform.

On the other hand, in most cases it seems to be a problem of the developers, that didn?t optimize a handful of games for 512 mb RAM on WP8.

I consider the 620 an excellent phone to work and do normal phone tasks. There are many games too, but not so graphic intensive (and those in my taste are the best for a small screen, like Unscramble). I would only play on the cell phone in "extremely boredom and isolation scenarios".

You should be happy for the things that you can do with the phone. If you find another device in the price range that fulfills your gaming needs better, just go for it :)

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
You miss the point, MS shouldn't be talking **** about google and fragmentation when their own platform has fragmentation. Google is software related and MS is hardware related.

Even if somebody isn't a serious gamer and wanted to download temple run, can't do it. Even puzzle craft which is not a graphic intensive game and not large in file size is 1 gb ram required? is you serious?

Its not just the big games, simple games can't be downloaded as well because of the requirement.

It's the fault from dev side, not MS side. If dev doesn't release app for 512 mb devices in playstore, whom would you blame fir that ?? Google ??

mark4130

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I think part of the blame lies at the feet of MS promoting the 620 as a fully fledged Windows 8 phone, running everything that is available for Windows 8. If, when people are viewing the phones, there is a caveat stating that not all Windows 8 apps are available for this model, people could then make an informed decision on whether it is right for them.
No one is asking for super phone performance at budget phone cost, but I think people (me included) are feeling annoyed at the amount of PR that was put out there for reviewers of the 620 that this was the first budget WP8 phone that is the full OS with full access to the apps. To then find out that even some very simple apps are beyond the ability of the phone, not just games, is very annoying.
At the end of the day, irrespective of price, if a product has limitations and cannot make use of all the services available, then it should be highlighted PRIOR to purchase - it shouldnt be something you find out when you try and use it in a real world situation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss