512 Ram limitation and lack of games

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Actually i bought my 620 for $245 and other options i have for the same price is S3 mini or S2 plus which both have 1GB of RAM and lots of apps.

Right now, the 620 can be bought for around the ?150 mark whereas the S3 Mini can be bought for around ?250. So the S3 mini is around ?100 more expensive to buy than the 620.

Ali Rahman1

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Right now, the 620 can be bought for around the ?150 mark whereas the S3 Mini can be bought for around ?250. So the S3 mini is around ?100 more expensive to buy than the 620.

S3 mini is available here for ?190 and S2 plus for ?180 and ur right about 620 price, its same here. My point is im willing to spend a little more for so that my experience is not limited.

keylex90

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The problem is although S3 mini or S2 is having 1gb ram, android is itself is very ram consuming. If u complain about 620 being laggy, u will complain even more with those two devices. I used both of them, and regretted having them.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I understand it might be frustrating, but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. The 620 is not meant to be a top Windows Phone, it's meant to be a low to mid range device and in those parameters it's fantastic value.

The OS is lovely, the phone feels nice in the hand, and the range of apps/games that don't run on it aren't life changing. I have a WP 7 and bought the 620 so I could get apps like UK TV streaming apps, and WP 8 exclusive games like Where's My Water. It being a low end phone I don't expect to be able to run Modern Combat or Spider-Man - buying it I knew it won't unless developers lower the requirement. They did this with Asphalt 7 so this is possible, but if you are an avid gamer then you shouldn't really go with a low end device. If you lower expectations, the 620 is great, including for gaming.

paras chugh

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
to all those people who say you get what you pay for.....the lumia 720 and nexus 4 cost the same so do you really think the 720 owners got what the paid for ?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
nexus 4 is $350 and lumia 720 is around $340 so you're saying every 720 owner is insane lol

In Australia there's about a $50 premium for the Nexus 4 over the Lumia 720. So Nexus is slightly more expensive, but not by that much.

The price is a bit of a side issue, in my opinion, though. You're not just buying the phone, you're also buying into the ecosystem. So while you can buy a Nexus 4 for a similar price, it doesn't run WP8. If you want to play in the WP ecosystem, the Nexus 4 is not an option - period. If you want a Windows Phone, the 720 is reasonably priced and stylish bit of hardware. Whether is good value really depends on the individual. The good battery life was a major factor for me, so that made the 720 a good phone for my particular usage needs.

As to the RAM, I haven't found any apps that I want to use that won't run. I also believe that most apps that currently require 1G will be optimised to run on 512M in time. So perhaps in the longer term this will be a non-issue.

donoester

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
to all those people who say you get what you pay for.....the lumia 720 and nexus 4 cost the same so do you really think the 720 owners got what the paid for ?
Nexus 4 means appalling battery life, cheapish design, sub-par camera with a video recording performance that looks worse than 720p, + a screen with very non-precise colors. Don't get me wrong - the N4 has a lot of nice specs and features, but it fails on the aforementioned very elementary and vital components of the phone that the 720 (and others, at their respective price points and dimensions) gets right.
If I wanted Android, I'd currently avoid the Nexus 4 and save up some more for a HTC One now that a version with vanilla Android will be available.

donoester

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
All based on GSMarena.com tests and spec sheets of what the 720 does better than the 520: Screen quality, gorilla glass 2, includes compass, includes front-facing cam, camera performance, larger battery capacity, includes NFC.
What they do have in common is the SoC. :)

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
but 720's got same specs of 520 which feels awkward when you with a 520 owner lol

The 520 is missing several of the 720's features (NFC, compass, front facing camera, and more), and also has inferior screen and camera. So not sure while you feel awkward.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i think anyone who wants to play heavy 3D games in their phones should NOT buy a 512Mb budget phone and complain about it!
why they didn't put 1Gb RAM on 620? it's really simple! 820 and 920 have 1Gb, ofc they wouldn't want a budget phone to compete with their high-ends...and it shouldn't! a budget is NOT meant to do everything a high-end does lol

low-end Android might run heavy games BUT it does not run smooth or as good as on a high-end device! but again, Android owners doesen't care if the app/game is buggy and laggy as long as they have it lol

and it's not like we got nothing...there's Asphalt 7, Mirror's Edge, Rayman Jungle Run, just to name a few! search the store better and you'll actually find lots of decent titles for 512Mb devices!
but if you MUST have the 1Gb titles, then buy a 1Gb high-end phone lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6