09-14-2013 10:17 AM
43 12
tools
    The 720 doesn't have a removable battery like the 820. IMHO it's not only the battery size, but the LTE, and SAMOLED screen too that cause the significant battery drain. The 820 would need a 3000+ mAh to rival the 720's battery.

My co-worker have a Lumia 720. I have a 820. With heavy use (whatsapp + games + movies + 3G all day + music + other stuffs), both have all battery drain at lunch time. No difference at all. WIth moderate use (little of wsapp, music, 2g all day, the 720 is like 10%~20% better only. With no use (stand by almost all the time), Lumia 720 is really better. I don't no why, but that's the truth.

So i don't think the Samsung Amoled Screen is guilty here. We are talking about 1600mah X 2000mah. Thats the "problem".
    07-09-2013 06:22 PM
    There has got to be some reason why the 820 is so bad on the battery. My wife has a 620 and doesn't need to charge hers for a couple of days. She also has wireless on all the time - but not with the option to keep it running when in standby.
    07-10-2013 05:37 AM
    There has got to be some reason why the 820 is so bad on the battery. My wife has a 620 and doesn't need to charge hers for a couple of days. She also has wireless on all the time - but not with the option to keep it running when in standby.
    The guy (a coworker who sit in front of me) I mentioned above had a Lumia 620. The main reason for the change was (very) poor life battery of Lumia 620. It not stand two hours of heavy use. There is no way to compare with Lumia 820 battery life. I think you are a more heavy user than yourwife. That's the only explanation. I know very well Lumia 620 (my coworker had) , 720 (my coworker have) and 820 (i have).

The option to running when in stanby by is the most drain battery option in Windows Phone. More than 3G or BT. Always Off here.

Guys, Lumia 820 does not have any particular problem, bug or something else. Only have a battery with little capacity. So if you a heavy user, 1600mah battery is a BIG problem. You should have considered this before buying.
    07-10-2013 06:39 AM
    I've given up on my 820 until my contract runs out and I can step up to a 925. Losing 20% in 1/2 hour listening to music while connected to a bluetooth handsfree (music through headphone socket), just doesn't cut it. Even the Pre I used to have lasted longer with a smaller battery! I've tried winding back settings etc, but no dice. Maybe there is a reason why Nokia don't push the 820 much at all, compared to the flagship phones and the cheaper models.

Back the the Nexus 4 - under heavy load I can make it last almost 20 hours. Granted it is 2100mah, but its also a bigger phone with a lazy fat OS!
    07-11-2013 08:07 PM
    My battery seems to have improved with the latest Whatsapp.
    07-16-2013 01:29 AM
    My battery seems to have improved with the latest Whatsapp.
    Same here. 10%-15% better after update.
    07-18-2013 07:34 AM
    I had a 720 before I grabbed my 920. Huge difference in battery life. Maybe due to the fact that 720 has a 2000 mAh battery compared to 1600 mAh from 820. Also, the 720 is non-capable of LTE unlike 820. But I really enjoyed using the 720 when I had it. I'm off to bed and I still have around 57% charge left after about 12 hours or more.
    07-28-2013 11:51 PM
    I have Lumia 620.... Battery is so so very weak....
    continuous 3G surfing will make my phone down within 4 hours. if i had to go out whole day i had to keep my phone on Battery Saver mode (had to manually check my app notifications though) so that i can moderately use it for SMS, calls and music...internet when necessary....

For me the biggest battery drainer
    1) 3G
    2) Background running apps

Anyway i cannot expect a miracle from 1300mAH battery.
    07-30-2013 03:59 AM
    Can't we just live with the fact that the 820 has a lower-capacity battery? Both my dad's and wife's 720 live for two day..you read tha right, TWO FREAKING DAYs, without a charge (on moderate use of course).
    Its been 3 days with new Lumia 720. First 2 days it was as expected lasted for two days. Once I started installing the apps surprisingly the apps drained 50% off the battery in just 8 hrs. There is nothing you can blame Nokia or Microsoft for battery drain.
    08-05-2013 05:13 AM
    I tried a soft reset and I've seen a big improvement in battery life on my 820

My phone now lasts a comfortable 16-18 hours with medium use, wi-fi/3G on where as before I was lucky to scrape 10-12 hours.
    08-05-2013 06:49 AM
    New Lumia 720 Battery.

It's been 4 days since using this phone. I left the phone with 91% battery at night and at 7 AM in the morning it's 89%... !! 8 hrs of stand by time and just 2% battery loss. Thats awesome.
    After that, 35 mins of music + 30 minutes of browsing + 15 mins of talk and still running 82%. Hope, this will be > 70% by tonight 11 PM.

Note: I keep my data usage disabled when I don't need.
    08-06-2013 01:31 AM
    Let's accept the fact that having a 2000mah or less will only give you 2-3 hrs max on continues surfing and playing games, it's a flaw hardware manufacturer can not do about it unless it will get bulkier. Doing some tinkering in limiting the apps in background will surely help but everybody knew about it so i guess it is not crackable as claimed earlier but thanks for bringing this up.
    savantfool likes this.
    08-10-2013 08:58 AM
    Btw, i observed that even when set at 3g or 4g, when phone is idle the consumption is reasonable at 2-3% per hour, but when trying to surf or disturb that is when apps will try to give you toast notification or updates bec of 30min o.s. allowance when it corresponds while you use the phone, it awakens therefore all hardware requirements of your phone will be activated.
    08-10-2013 09:14 AM
    Since the beginning my battery has been behaving difficult.

I block all the background apps (besides whats app cause I use it frequently.)
    I use 2G networks because in my area there is no higher (sad I know) but at work the connection is on full 8 hours. So that of course drains since the bulding has a metall hull and so the network inside is poor. I know this is the draining point for me since at home with wifi on all day it still has a better battery performance.

I think I also have a problem with Skype. Its always online as soon as I activate the data connection at work in the morning. Needed to disconnect my account.

Also funny enough when at night I switch to airplane mode it drains more battery than leaving it on dataconnection at home. It sounds ridic but that is what i have observed since last November.
    08-10-2013 02:17 PM
    Time improves it I think . I followed all the battery saving steps mentioned shortly after getting it woke up this mrng after charging it before going to bed to a 100% reading and some 4 + days left; standby. Ive seen 98% on other days . But my nav, music, games apps will change all that in a hurry however good news is Im now able to use my music app for 1hr continuously with a 20% battery drainage, better than the up to 11% in 19 minutes i was getting before when I first got phone. Repeated charges it seems improves battery life. Nokia said to also make sure all your apps are closed(press and hold back button to pull up screen of apps still open on your phone then back till they all closed).
    08-14-2013 09:50 AM
    I used mine set at 2g only, nevet surf or check emails, social etc purely fone functionality, i got 4 days.
    08-15-2013 04:10 AM
    I also have serious battery issues with my Lumia 820. Since mine is from ebay I don't really know if it's an heavily used battery or if it's the software, but very likely it's the latter one.
    I made several tests mainly concentrating on the behaviour when the device idleling. Wifi is always on as it is a must for a smartphone that it stays connected even when it is not used. Regarding the background services I disabled everything but 627.am, Astronomy Lockscreen and Battery Sense. There are a couple that I can't disable, for instance Skype.
    My main problem is, that I don't get a idle discharge rate below 1% per hour. With apps installed I achieve usually 1.7 to 1.8%/h, far too much in my opinion.
    Actually using the device makes it even worse. It does not really matter what I do, nearly everything leads to a dramatic loss, and what confuses me the most - if I stop using the device, the battery still continues to drain for 10 or 20 minutes at least.
    I also did a reset of the device and right after it (I just added my email and facebook accounts) the idle drain seemed ok (<1 %/h), but as soon I started installing apps the poor battery performance came back.

I am thinking of buying a new battery just to check if it's really the software, but I am not very optimistic that this will fix the issues.
    Boris Lozac likes this.
    08-17-2013 12:48 PM
    The source of battery drain for me is always the 3g radio and data connection. I have get used to 6 to 8 hours of battery usage. But if you are in a WiFi area you better use the wifi because it can prolong the battery.
    09-14-2013 10:17 AM
43 12