Lumia battery drain - I think I've cracked it

craigy18181

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I had battery drain issues a few months back and it was confusing the hell out of me. I would take my phone off charge, head to work and then 3 hours later be down to about 20% charge and the phone would be very very hot. My wife never had the same issue so I started to look at apps as well. I don't have any issues with what's app but the app that was draining my phone was the twitter app Rowi.

I loved that app but every since I switched to MeTweets my phone has been fine now for months. I might try Rowi again at some point.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Yep, I agree, I've had battery issues when I initially got my Lumia 822.

After a week I just decided to try and change the "Highest connection speed" option under Cellular from LTE to 3G just to check if it would make any difference.
Battery life improved a lot and since my country does not have nationwide LTE yet, I will be keeping it at 3G for now.
Tried to 2G as well and this option gave me the best results.

For now, I always keep it at 2G and just switch it to 3G whenever I need to check things from the net. I do not have battery drain issues now.

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a bit of a mystery here: wp_ss_20130708_0002.jpg

This is my battery usage for last 30 days. Up until about 2 weeks ago I could go through whole day with about 70% left (I leave it charging overnight), now it drops as low as 10-15% by the end of the day. The change is clearly visible and I can't really pin it to any particular app - I don't recall installing anything that would put such strain on battery when the drain started. I even started thinking if the batter isn't moving around a bit or something like that... I really wish there was a way to monitor apps power usage to rule out that at least.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
The 720 doesn't have a removable battery like the 820. IMHO it's not only the battery size, but the LTE, and SAMOLED screen too that cause the significant battery drain. The 820 would need a 3000+ mAh to rival the 720's battery.

My co-worker have a Lumia 720. I have a 820. With heavy use (whatsapp + games + movies + 3G all day + music + other stuffs), both have all battery drain at lunch time. No difference at all. WIth moderate use (little of wsapp, music, 2g all day, the 720 is like 10%~20% better only. With no use (stand by almost all the time), Lumia 720 is really better. I don't no why, but that's the truth.

So i don't think the Samsung Amoled Screen is guilty here. We are talking about 1600mah X 2000mah. Thats the "problem".

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
There has got to be some reason why the 820 is so bad on the battery. My wife has a 620 and doesn't need to charge hers for a couple of days. She also has wireless on all the time - but not with the option to keep it running when in standby.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
There has got to be some reason why the 820 is so bad on the battery. My wife has a 620 and doesn't need to charge hers for a couple of days. She also has wireless on all the time - but not with the option to keep it running when in standby.

The guy (a coworker who sit in front of me) I mentioned above had a Lumia 620. The main reason for the change was (very) poor life battery of Lumia 620. It not stand two hours of heavy use. There is no way to compare with Lumia 820 battery life. I think you are a more heavy user than yourwife. That's the only explanation. I know very well Lumia 620 (my coworker had) , 720 (my coworker have) and 820 (i have).

The option to running when in stanby by is the most drain battery option in Windows Phone. More than 3G or BT. Always Off here.

Guys, Lumia 820 does not have any particular problem, bug or something else. Only have a battery with little capacity. So if you a heavy user, 1600mah battery is a BIG problem. You should have considered this before buying.

lavo96

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I've given up on my 820 until my contract runs out and I can step up to a 925. Losing 20% in 1/2 hour listening to music while connected to a bluetooth handsfree (music through headphone socket), just doesn't cut it. Even the Pre I used to have lasted longer with a smaller battery! I've tried winding back settings etc, but no dice. Maybe there is a reason why Nokia don't push the 820 much at all, compared to the flagship phones and the cheaper models.

Back the the Nexus 4 - under heavy load I can make it last almost 20 hours. Granted it is 2100mah, but its also a bigger phone with a lazy fat OS!

arkhale

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I had a 720 before I grabbed my 920. Huge difference in battery life. Maybe due to the fact that 720 has a 2000 mAh battery compared to 1600 mAh from 820. Also, the 720 is non-capable of LTE unlike 820. But I really enjoyed using the 720 when I had it. I'm off to bed and I still have around 57% charge left after about 12 hours or more.

diktea

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have Lumia 620.... Battery is so so very weak....
continuous 3G surfing will make my phone down within 4 hours. if i had to go out whole day i had to keep my phone on Battery Saver mode (had to manually check my app notifications though) so that i can moderately use it for SMS, calls and music...internet when necessary....

For me the biggest battery drainer
1) 3G
2) Background running apps

Anyway i cannot expect a miracle from 1300mAH battery.

bijendra

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Can't we just live with the fact that the 820 has a lower-capacity battery? Both my dad's and wife's 720 live for two day..you read tha right, TWO FREAKING DAYs, without a charge (on moderate use of course).

Its been 3 days with new Lumia 720. First 2 days it was as expected lasted for two days. Once I started installing the apps surprisingly the apps drained 50% off the battery in just 8 hrs. There is nothing you can blame Nokia or Microsoft for battery drain.

mighty_stag

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I tried a soft reset and I've seen a big improvement in battery life on my 820 :smile:

My phone now lasts a comfortable 16-18 hours with medium use, wi-fi/3G on where as before I was lucky to scrape 10-12 hours.

bijendra

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
New Lumia 720 Battery.

It's been 4 days since using this phone. I left the phone with 91% battery at night and at 7 AM in the morning it's 89%... !! 8 hrs of stand by time and just 2% battery loss. Thats awesome.
After that, 35 mins of music + 30 minutes of browsing + 15 mins of talk and still running 82%. Hope, this will be > 70% by tonight 11 PM.

Note: I keep my data usage disabled when I don't need.

aquimosa

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Let's accept the fact that having a 2000mah or less will only give you 2-3 hrs max on continues surfing and playing games, it's a flaw hardware manufacturer can not do about it unless it will get bulkier. Doing some tinkering in limiting the apps in background will surely help but everybody knew about it so i guess it is not crackable as claimed earlier but thanks for bringing this up.

aquimosa

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Btw, i observed that even when set at 3g or 4g, when phone is idle the consumption is reasonable at 2-3% per hour, but when trying to surf or disturb that is when apps will try to give you toast notification or updates bec of 30min o.s. allowance when it corresponds while you use the phone, it awakens therefore all hardware requirements of your phone will be activated.

savantfool

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Since the beginning my battery has been behaving difficult.

I block all the background apps (besides whats app cause I use it frequently.)
I use 2G networks because in my area there is no higher (sad I know) but at work the connection is on full 8 hours. So that of course drains since the bulding has a metall hull and so the network inside is poor. I know this is the draining point for me since at home with wifi on all day it still has a better battery performance.

I think I also have a problem with Skype. Its always online as soon as I activate the data connection at work in the morning. Needed to disconnect my account.

Also funny enough when at night I switch to airplane mode it drains more battery than leaving it on dataconnection at home. It sounds ridic but that is what i have observed since last November.

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Time improves it I think . I followed all the battery saving steps mentioned shortly after getting it woke up this mrng after charging it before going to bed to a 100% reading and some 4 + days left; standby. Ive seen 98% on other days . But my nav, music, games apps will change all that in a hurry however good news is Im now able to use my music app for 1hr continuously with a 20% battery drainage, better than the up to 11% in 19 minutes i was getting before when I first got phone. Repeated charges it seems improves battery life. Nokia said to also make sure all your apps are closed(press and hold back button to pull up screen of apps still open on your phone then back till they all closed).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss