Nokia is giving me a hard time!

YaashDh

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I hail from India.

I bought my Lumia 920 a couple of months back. In the beginning, I used to think that the battery drains are normal since I read on these forums that it takes about 2-3 weeks for the battery to work fine. So I waited but the battery used to drain anyway. Even on standby and no connection to any form of internet, the battery would drain like almost 5-7% every hour. This is unusual since even my brother owns a 920 and his phone easily gets through the day with more than 60% remaining while my phone, with the same usage, goes down to almost 30%(I fully charge my phone every morning)

So, I called up Nokia and submitted my phone for 'testing' since they wouldn't take my word for it. After two days of wait, they call me up and say that my phone is all fine and I don't need a replacement. I talked to them on the phone and they are pretty adamant on just returning my phone.

Nokia is giving me a hard time, and I need my issue fixed since this phone is off-contract and I paid roughly $650 for it.

Please help

Last edited:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery issues with my 920

You say that the battery drains rapidly even when there are no active Internet connections but there may be an app or two that is constantly trying to sync such as an Exchange account and that could be causing excessive battery drain. Check the sync frequencies of any or all email accounts you have set up and reduce the frequencies accordingly. Some other apps can be excessive users of the battery such as Viber which I ended up removing because it was giving my battery a battering.

YaashDh

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Battery issues with my 920

I close all the apps by spamming the back button and I have all mails set to manual except for Hotmail which updates once very 24 hours. I've tried everything possible. I even exchanged my phone with my brother's and set up his phone exactly as mine. The result was that I could get through the day with 70%. I know that the problem is with my particular phone and Nokia isn't helping me

vigneshtkp

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just try one soft reset by pressing the volume down and power button at the same time for 10 sec. Then check it. I had a similar pbm but with my 820 and after a soft reset everything is fine. And also block all the apps which are allowed to run in background. (Settings --> Swipe to right --> background tasks). Hope this fixes the pbm.

dvasudreddy

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The prob might be with the background running apps. Make sure how many apps are running in background under settings. WhatsApp, viber, asphalt 7 game and few more apps drains battery like anything. Even my battery is behaving weirdly these days, at times it passes a day with 40% left and at times it will be difficult for my battery to make it 10 hours with similar usage. Try to hard reset few a times and disable some of the back ground apps, even location will drain battery faster. Im from India, and how to approach nokia for testing my phone

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Try disabling any apps that don't need background access like everyone has said. Have you noticed that when your phone is draining the top of the phone gets hot? If this happens turn your phone off straight away and then turn it back on and in my experience that's stopped any drains dead.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Put the phone on airplane mode when you goto sleep and check the battery usage in the morning, if it doesn't drain as you have mentioned then the problem is with either apps or your network. A weak fluctuating network drains battery as well...give it a shot. Last resort before contacting Nokia would be to completely flash your phone using NCS with the latest firmware.

YaashDh

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I have only a couple of background tasks like The Football App and Trivia Buff. And as I've said before, I've tried the soft reset and I've tried flashing. I still get the same issue

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 920 a couple of months back. In the beginning, I used to think that the battery drains are normal since I read on these forums that it takes about 2-3 weeks for the battery to work fine. So I waited

SAME THING here (in australia).
Also reset numerous ways and flashed all different firmwares, turned everything off etc. Still nothing.

My battery drain was horrible when i bought it 7 months ago on launch day.......aaaaaaand it still is horrible.
Took it back TWICE, and both times they said it was fine.
Just put battery saver on permanently and now it's fine. (Yes i know youll probably say that theres an app doing it, or email or background tasks, but seriously, ive tried everything in the 7 months ive owned it)

I'll probably send it back after owning it for a year (thanks for the 2yr warranty nokia) and HOPEFULLY they recognise the battery is useless then. Or maybe it'll develop another problem which they DO recognise.

I know that the problem is with my particular phone and Nokia isn't helping me

Dat feel man.

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Shoot a mail regarding this problem to Nokia CEO - Stephen Elop
stephen.elop@nokia.com
Give this a try. No harm in trying. Mention the Service Centre you're trying to get help from in the mail, and hope things get resolved.
Keep us updated though!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There is a video on you tube that shows how to disassemble the nokia 920 case and get to the battery and replace the battery or check the battery connection. It could be a bad battery and you could replace it yourself if the email to Mr. Elop doesn't help!

YaashDh

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I got a reply to my mail from Mr. Elop (not actually from him, I know)

Hello there,

I am sorry that you have encountered these problems. I will ask my team to assist.

Regards,

Stephen

And I got my complaint with Nokia escalated, I don't even know what that means :grin:

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
nope, Actually it is him lol. Good luck! I know when I am in a bad cell area and my phone is jumping from connection to connection the life goes south pretty darn quick. I am on my second 920 (waitress dropped the first and the wireless charging stopped working as a result) and this second one gets amazing battery life compared to my first.

YaashDh

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hurray!

Emailing Mr. Elop worked. They called me up in the morning and they said they'll replace the battery. I hope this one doesn't give me the same issues. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to all you guys and a special thanks to ktl88!

MsLacewing

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed that,i am also having an awful experience with this phone and like the guy above I have bought mine and nokia are being completely ignorant,not helpful at all:( real bad customer service,infact no customer service.Perhaps we try a different approach to make them listen.Maybe we should all collate our problems and collaborate in getting them to listen to us,as they might listen as they will be dealing with us all together so how can they say there isn't a problem then!

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Everybody who is having battery problems should try this. I follow this routine every week. On weekend (Friday/Saturday) I don't charge the phone completely. I just charge it enough to get me through the day and ensure that the phone has switched off because of low battery. Once the phone switches off, I let it sit for about half an hour and switch it on again and hey presto it comes back on showing various levels of charge. In my case the charge levels upon restart have varied from 7 - 40% as displayed on the Battery Saver screen.

Once the phone comes back on, I again use it till it dies and let it sit again for half an hour and try to switch it on again. Sometimes it comes back on but most occasions it does not switch on. Now I plug it into charging and hit the sack.

I know this is a tedious procedure to follow, but hey it gets me good battery life which is anywhere between 1.5 - 2 days on a single charge. Oh and I have all background tasks switched off except for the weather app.

I have one Hotmail account syncing every hour and 3 POP accounts syncing every 2 hours and of course battery saver is on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo