iPhone 3Gs --> Lumia 820 switch - worth?

Marcin J

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a new phone. Now I use my old almost-4-years-old iPhone 3Gs - its performance is really bad. I really like WP8 metro style, so I decided to switch to Lumia (because of Nokia's support). I'm thinking about Lumia 820, because it has got 1GB RAM memory and it's cheaper than 920. Unfortunately it also has some minuses. Here are my questions:
1) Lumia 820 has rather low resoulution and a big screen. Is it a big problem? On my iPhone 3Gs it's a big problem, because sometimes it's really hard to read small letters and some elements of the UI are really pixelated - it does not look good. Is Lumia 820 encountering similiar issues?
2) Lumia 820 has only 8GB of memory. On my 3Gs I have 16GB and sometimes it's not enough for me. However L820 has SD card slot. The question is: what can be stored on SD card? I know that apps cannot be installed on a SD card, are there any more limitations?
3) Should I switch from iPhone to Lumia? Are here any iPhone owners who switched to WP8? What do you think?
4) Are there any guitar amp apps in WP Store? I'm using Amplitube on iPhone and I wish I could do it on Lumia.

hahaha10000

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I switched from iphone 4 to Lumia 920 and loved it. Not such a wide range of apps, unless you want apps that are really new you should be fine though. Not sure about specific things about the 820 though

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
1) I have a lumia 900 with a 4.3 inch screen with a 800x480 resolution which is below the lumia 820 I believe. It has not been a problem for me and should even be less of a problem on a higher resolution which I think the 820 has.
2) As far as I know the only limitation is apps. You can store all other user media on it, even downloaded nokia maps.
3) Yes I think you should. I had a 3gs that quit on me, and I made the switch to WP and never regretted it for a second. I think the UI of metro is so different and honestly just plain fun.
4) I did find Amplitude in the store

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a new phone. Now I use my old almost-4-years-old iPhone 3Gs - its performance is really bad. I really like WP8 metro style, so I decided to switch to Lumia (because of Nokia's support). I'm thinking about Lumia 820, because it has got 1GB RAM memory and it's cheaper than 920. Unfortunately it also has some minuses. Here are my questions:
1) Lumia 820 has rather low resoulution and a big screen. Is it a big problem? On my iPhone 3Gs it's a big problem, because sometimes it's really hard to read small letters and some elements of the UI are really pixelated - it does not look good. Is Lumia 820 encountering similiar issues?
2) Lumia 820 has only 8GB of memory. On my 3Gs I have 16GB and sometimes it's not enough for me. However L820 has SD card slot. The question is: what can be stored on SD card? I know that apps cannot be installed on a SD card, are there any more limitations?
3) Should I switch from iPhone to Lumia? Are here any iPhone owners who switched to WP8? What do you think?
4) Are there any guitar amp apps in WP Store? I'm using Amplitube on iPhone and I wish I could do it on Lumia.

1) resolution is way better compared to the 3gs
2) the only issue is the low storage space coz of 'other' files, there is a fix for that if your firmware is v1308 or above.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I switched from a factory unlocked iPhone 4 to a Nokia Lumia 810 (I'm on T-Mobile). Never looked back, although I've since upgraded to a Lumia 920 and absolutely love it. I even tried going back to the iPhone from the 810 one day last month and couldn't last more than five minutes.

1) Screen resolution really isn't that noticeable in terms of it being only 800x480p. The screen on the Lumia 8xx phones are very bright and colorful. I even somewhat prefer the screen on my 810 to that of my 920.
2) You can use an SD card of up to 64GB on the 820 and all of its variants, which is awesome. You should also have the Storage Check feature on an 820 if you buy one because it's getting the 1308 and/or 1314 firmware that allows it. Not so much on the Lumia 810, which is a big part of why I got a 920 early this month.
3) The Lumia is awesome, as is WP8! As a former iPhone user myself, I can say that I don't regret switching to WP8. Of course, everyone is different, so I would say you would have to try out WP8 for yourself to see where you personally stand.
4) That one I can't answer for you. Not sure, but you can check in the Windows Phone Store.

Marcin J

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
@handisetyadi I can't really wait, because my iPhone broke down few day ago - there's no sound! What's more I don't know if L925 will be in stores in Poland.
@raccoon210 Can you give me a link to that Amplitube app? I can't find it.

I have almost forgotten about the issue with firmware updates. On iPhones it is simple - all supported phones get the updates in the same time. How is it with WP8? Do i have to wait until my network decides to release an update?

Thanks for all your answers!

dhack21

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had a iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and most recently an Atrix HD. I switched to an 820 about a week ago. The resolution isn't as much of an issue as the 8 GB of storage. I cannot fit all my purchased games on this phone without encountering the low storage space issue. As stated above later software updates have remedied the "other" storage space issue however I am unable to use this fix until ATT decides to release the updated software. My 32 GB SD card stores all of my movies, pictures and music / podcasts well.
Sent from my Lumia using Board Express

dhack21

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I should note also in the meantime while not having the updated software I have been using the shrink storage application.
Sent from my Lumia using Board Express

donoester

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
amplitube, not amplitude :)

Amplitube only seems to be available for iOS. Based on their product portfolio - Products - AmpliTube - I don't think they are interested in doing a WP8 port, considering they haven't got anything for Android. One could always contact them and ask, it's the only way for them to know if people are interested. Again, they look to be riding the Apple tide-wave, so the chances as pretty slim.

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I guess I misread that one:) yeah I couldn't find amplitube. There was Navifirm for lumias but they closed that off. I heard you could flash your device with NCS (not too sure what it is) but im not sure if that's only for released firmwares or all available firmwares.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget wireless charging capabilities with Lumia 820. If you decide to buy one, check swappa website. I just put up 820 for sale there with 2 different color charging back plates. The phone is in mint condition.

Marcin J

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not really interested in wireless charging. In my opinion it's just a nice gadget.

Can you tell something more about updates issue?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The updates vary from device to device and from country to country (and carrier to carrier although my country doesn't have that problem) .

I can safely say that it is much better than android though since the update is available within 2 - 3 months max(I am referring to 1308)

When I was on Android HTC completely gave up on my Desire within a year of buying it :( . Since then windows phone has been serving me very well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte