Android to WP (Lumia 928): Strategy to Transition from Google Services

Nursedad

May 27, 2013
Visit site
So...my Lumia has shipped and will arrive tomorrow.

I've been on the Android phones for awhile now and concurrently, fairly attached to Google services. I'm sure there is a thread on this somewhere on this forum, but hoped I could draw on the experiences of others who have transitioned from the googleverse to the Windows phone world.

What steps would you take to sync contacts, calendar and Mail to outlook.com or transition these services to similar Microsoft offerings? I'm also working on a surface pro, so getting this all moving in the right direction would be ideal.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Welcome! I'm a nurse dad too! You can go ahead and create a Microsoft account and forward your email to it. You can also 'subscribe' to your Gmail calendar via outlook.com. You can export your contacts from Gmail and import them directly into the newly created account. You should also play around with Skydrive. You can throw all the pictures from your last phone up there, so you can get at them from your 928. Im pretty sure I've seen a guide or two that would help you right here on WPCentral.

Nursedad

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Awesome advice. Glad to know there are other Nursedads out there too! Daughters chose the moniker for me.

Subscribed to my own Google calendar, need to figure out how to get my wife's to sync as well. Mail forwarding should work as well.

Looking forward to joining the world of Windows Phone tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Cylemmulo

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You don't need to change anything, seriously you start the phone, go to settings and account and you can select google, you sign in and it syncs your calander, contacts and gmail straight to your phone right there, it takes like 10 seconds to do, I just switched over and it was by far the easiest transition

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
You don't need to change anything, seriously you start the phone, go to settings and account and you can select google, you sign in and it syncs your calander, contacts and gmail straight to your phone right there, it takes like 10 seconds to do, I just switched over and it was by far the easiest transition

That said, I was an Android user for the past 3 years, and a heavy user of Google (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Talk, Google Calendar, Google Maps, Google Search, etc.) and I agree it was pretty easy to sync all that up with my new Windows account (I got a Surface RT a few months ago and now a Lumia 928 on launch day), I also have realized that I like Microsoft's equivalents much better now, so I've pretty much completely ditched Google now and use Microsoft's stuff almost exclusively. I like Outlook.com better than Gmail, particularly how well it integrates with People, Calendar, and SkyDrive (I could go on and on about how awesome SkyDrive is linked up on all my devices, PC, Surface, WinPhone, etc). I even now prefer Bing search to Google search as well (although, Google Maps is admittedly still better than Bing Maps, Bing Maps is very solid nevertheless). My friends think I'm weird when I bring up Bing to search, saying, "Just use google!". Then I make them do the Bing it On challenge and the majority of the time they end up picking Bing over Google. So, give 'em all a shot!

In fact, the best thing about Bing is Bing Rewards. I've only been using it for 2 months now and I've racked up more than 15 dollars in Windows Phone app store credits.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720