Verizon 8x Turned its self off and wont charge

DonnieV

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey All,

So my 8x has been a great phone for the most part, but today I was using it and set it down. It instantly turned off and now wont turn back on. It was fully charged, and this happened about 2 hours after taking off the wireless charger. The only way I can get ANYTHING to happen is plug it into the wall via usb cable (my wireless charger wont work) and then it boots up, and instantly goes to the black screen with the battery icon saying it is charging. The amount of juice show is red, and it has been like that all day. If i try the power + volume down, nothing happens... I have had this happen a couple times before but nothing this crazy with the battery. Normally I plug it in and it turns back on with whatever amount of battery it had before it shut off. What I have noticed though, is that it seems to happen whenever I put my phone down on a metal surface. Maybe it is a coincidence, but it only seems to turn off after I place it down on a metal surface... Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas on how to get past the charging screen?

Thanks!

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, quite tricky situation.
Try a different charger (wired)
Try a different charging point (sometimes it makes a difference)
When you say the phone turns on and turns off when plugged in the wall, try giving a ring from another phone/landline, does it ring or says phone is off?
Try plugging your phone to a computer and see what happens?
After you've connected the phone on a wall charger for approx 10 minutes, hold the power button for 5-8 secs, if that does not work try a soft reset combination (am not sure how you soft reset 8x)
Nothing helps? - Contact Verizon.

P.S. - What color 8x do you have and is its paint peeling?

DonnieV

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I have tried all of these methods, but it is still stuck on the black screen with the battery icon :/ When the phone turns on and off, it never actually boots into windows, it goes straight from the "HTC quietly brilliant" screen to the black screen with the "charging battery" icon, so calls would not go through...

I have a blue 8x and the paint is not peeling for me. But I have only had my phone for a little less than a month, so I'm not sure I would be a reliable source on that one :)

BUT, I called asuron yesterday to get a replacement (I have a tiny tiny crack from the top of the screen to the top of the speaker, but this had nothing to do with my current problem... Verizon wont send me a replacement because of this though, I have to use my phone insurance) and APPARENTLY asuron doesnt even HAVE the blue ones in stock anymore and the black ones are back ordered. They tried to give me a Samsung Ativ S or a lumia 822... both of which i consider worse phones... (the samsung not having LTE and the 822 not being an HD screen). I tried to get them to send me the lumia 928... a more comparable phone, but they said it is out of my tier... which is dumb.. the only difference there is the 768 vs 720 pixel and the slightly better camera... it is also a cheaper phone to buy outright than the 8x :(

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
If the phone is defective or won't boot, Verizon should replace it. No questions asked. If they don't have the equivalent phone in their replacement inventory, they should give you an equivalent replacement, and the Samsung or 822 are not. They should give you the 928 if they don't have any 8X's. You need to speak with a supervisor or manager of the store.

DonnieV

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately they wont give me a replacement because the phone has a small crack. They said they would be glad to send me one, but because of the crack, I would get charged 300 bucks for the replacement... which is so stupid. It's not like the screen is shattered... Really makes me pissed about how crappy their customer service is. I have only had the phone for less than a month and it is nothing more than a paper weight and verizon won't do anything about it.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Sorry, I missed that about the crack. That's why you get insurance, but apparently, the issue now is with Assurion. Don't know what their policy is in regards to phones out of stock. But at this point, I don't think it's an issue with Verizon customer service.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
unfortunately they wont give me a replacement because the phone has a small crack. They said they would be glad to send me one, but because of the crack, I would get charged 300 bucks for the replacement... which is so stupid. It's not like the screen is shattered... Really makes me pissed about how crappy their customer service is. I have only had the phone for less than a month and it is nothing more than a paper weight and verizon won't do anything about it.

Your best bet would be to go with the insurance then, I'm not sure how Verizon works there as am not in states. But I'd opt for the black one as its paint does not peel. 822 is real crap, not sure about ativ.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz