920 or 8X

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
I have been using an HTC 8x for several months, and loving the Windows Phone OS. Yesterday, my wife was watering some plants and they over flowed and got into my phone. I tried the rice trick, but It is now fried and I will need to replace it. Since I have the opportunity should I go with the 920 or stick with the 8X. I have really enjoyed the 8X, but it looks like Nokia may be a little more serious about supporting the Windows OS. So what are the pros and cons of the 920 (other than more memory), should I stick with what I know, or go with something new? Sound off, I look forward to reading the arguments for the 920. Thanks!

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
+ camera!, high sensivity touch, great screen, solid build
- you might get a unit that collects dust in FFC and gaps between screen and the body or with/and crackling unibody

I would go for something new.

enzom09

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the 8X and slightly regret getting it mainly because HTC is terrible at supporting their phones. The device itself is light, beautiful, etc...but I think the 920 is better.

1. Although it is heavier, it isn't heavy. The extra weight makes it feel more solid I believe and the polycarbonate of the 920 doesn't chip the way the 8X does (as happened with mine)
2. Color options of the 920 are infinitely better (personally a sucker for both cyan and yellow, whereas the neon yellow green and california "blue" aren't as nice)
3. Better camera, and it will improve with the amber update they're supposed to be getting
4. Speaking of updates, you'll get more support from Nokia than you will from HTC, especially as they are dumping everything into the HTC one right now.
5. More storage, 32gb over 16gb, which comes in handy since the 8x still hasn't resolved the "other" storage issue which will make that 16gb shrink a lot faster
6. Some nokia exclusive apps, such as cinemagraph, as well as games (mass effect!!), are awesome and won't seem to be on the 8x anytime soon
7. I'm also personally not a fan of the super flush buttons on the 8x, notably the lock/unlock button, although i've gotten used to it now
8. wifi charging, which i miss out on since I'm not on verizon

I clearly would have gotten a 920 if I had the option (I'm on t-mobile, where the 8x hasn't gotten wifi calling, at least not widely available, but the lumia 521 has), but I have the 8x. I worked at a MS store and got to play with both and still say hands down that the 920 would have been my phone of choice.

ankh_santa

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 920 in December 2012. Until now, my lumia 920 has got 3 firmware updates (1242 to 1249, 1249 to 1308, 1308 to 1314). I am not sure about HTC 8x.

Also the battery is slightly bigger on Lumia 920 (1800 mAh vs 2000 mAh).

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
920 +'s over 8x
-More Space/Room
-Exclusive Nokia Apps
-God like camera with OIS

920 -'s over 8x
-World Heavyweight Champion
-Weak battery (for its hardware)

I did hear about the dust issues, but am not very sure.

If you can invest in a 928 or 925, that'd be great!

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
920 +'s over 8x
-More Space/Room
-Exclusive Nokia Apps
-God like camera with OIS

920 -'s over 8x
-World Heavyweight Champion
-Weak battery (for its hardware)

I did hear about the dust issues, but am not very sure.

If you can invest in a 928 or 925, that'd be great!

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I bought an unlocked HTC 8X when they launched back in November and I've been loving it ever since. This past weekend, I had the opportunity to exchange it for a yellow Lumia 920 and I took the plunge.

It's been only a few days but I really like the 920 as well as the 8X.

Here are my two cents about the best things I like about them:

8X:
  • The body, thinness and weight are awesome.
  • It's design it's only matched by the HTC One, at least in IMHO.
  • Beats Audio (with the incorporated amplifier) is waaaay underrated. With a good pair of headphones, it sounds amazing!
  • The wide-angle front-facing camera is something I seldom used, but when needed, it takes shots with lots of people in it. Your photos won't show people's faces crammed into the picture.

Lumia 920:
  • In my case, I got it for the LTE support, among other reasons. The launch 8X I bought didn't have it.
  • The built quality is great, just like the 8X. The weight factor is something I read a lot when they launched but it isn't something you will hate or not like. I'ts heavier, but not that much, at least not to the extent some still complain about.
  • The back camera has no match. It takes really amazing low light shots. I just wished that such a great camera phone had the wide-angle front facing camera the 8X has.
  • Nokia support and apps. They really have a ton of apps and I think they will keep improving them or adding new ones. HTC doesn't have the commitment Nokia has. The only HTC app I used in my 8X was the HTC App with the weather and clock info. It was truly great and I miss it on my Lumia.

That's a quick comparison. The battery life is better in the 8X but I think I have to wait a few more days to really know how the 920 battery fares against the 8X. After a week, the 8X lasted a lot more, I guess by auto-calibration or something. I hope the 920 can achieve the same performance after some time as well because right now it only lasts about 8 hrs with low usage.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read here the 8X begins falling apart after just several months. Of course some people are just hard on things. I can attest however the 920 is a solid device.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that definitely helps. How does your call quality compare with the 8X? I'm about 80% certain ill go with the 920. One issue for me (because I had a crappy phone for a long time) is call quality. The 8x never gave me any problems. Everyone sounded clear and said I was as well. I have seen some reports of poor call quality. Is that just hit and miss? limited to early production or not really an issue any more after a few updates?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I was stuck on this dilemma for months. Originally i had a GS3 and disliked Android, having owned WP7 in the past (my phone screen got destroyed, hence why i moved to android) i know what i was getting into in terms of OS but wanted to make the right hardware choice. I knew i didnt want the ATIV S mainly because its size is a little too big, too delicate body design and im tired of Samsung phone products (had a Focus prior).

I ended up going with the L920, the deciding factor for me was body design and reliability

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I have both. Bought 920 after 4 months of using HTC. And I say this: I will never buy anything from HTC again! Terrible support, idiots behind some parts of design. Awful camera. The only big plus is smaller screen and weight. And that's all what are good in 8X.
Buy LUMIA , don't make mistake.
HTC never cares about their phones and customers , that's why this company will never success!

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
the advantages of both
920 - receives massive support updates and apps that the 8X doesn't, the camera video and audio quality is amazing. I am a metal fan so the concerts I got to are a bit loud. I have a couple posted on www.youtube.com/spyderz343. I would go for the 920 any day of the week

8X the bigges tthing this has over the 920 is its thinner and extremely light weight.

I have dealt with htc windows phones before (the trophy) it received no support from htc once it was released. The nokia 900 is still receiving patches and new features as we speak go with the 920. Nokia really stands behind these phones.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone who has responded! One more question, I think I saw something in another forum about the 920 using lots of data. I came from Blackberry to HTC 8x and it hasn't really been an issue. Does the 920 for some reason use more data than other smartphones or was this more than likely a matter of someone who didn't know how to figure out which apps are running data and block them? When I first switched to AT&T from Sprint I was nervous over the whole unlimited data thing, but during my research I found my wife and I combined were using less than our limit on AT&T (about half of it), just want to make sure I'm not going to get a nasty surprise coming from my 8X.

megazone23

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have been using an HTC 8x for several months, and loving the Windows Phone OS. Yesterday, my wife was watering some plants and they over flowed and got into my phone. I tried the rice trick, but It is now fried and I will need to replace it. Since I have the opportunity should I go with the 920 or stick with the 8X. I have really enjoyed the 8X, but it looks like Nokia may be a little more serious about supporting the Windows OS. So what are the pros and cons of the 920 (other than more memory), should I stick with what I know, or go with something new? Sound off, I look forward to reading the arguments for the 920. Thanks!

Depends on how much water get it, it can take a few days for it to resurrect. I would wait for a few days, unless the internal you are actually crying out loud for a 920 :)
I've used Nokia for years, from Symbian to Maemo to Meego to Windows, though the OS might fell short, they simply pack the best hardware (probably their phone is never the thinnest or lightest) into the phone compared other manufacturers' gimmicks.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone who has responded! One more question, I think I saw something in another forum about the 920 using lots of data. I came from Blackberry to HTC 8x and it hasn't really been an issue. Does the 920 for some reason use more data than other smartphones or was this more than likely a matter of someone who didn't know how to figure out which apps are running data and block them? When I first switched to AT&T from Sprint I was nervous over the whole unlimited data thing, but during my research I found my wife and I combined were using less than our limit on AT&T (about half of it), just want to make sure I'm not going to get a nasty surprise coming from my 8X.

in terms of data use, i saw a big increase from last generation to this generation of phones, which includes a technology shift (LTE).

Coming from Samsung Focus (WP7, 3G), i would consider that last generation and averaged around 100mb/month

When i shifted to Samsung Galaxy S3 (LTE, new gen), i found i was using...for generally the same type of data about double increase (200-250mb/month). This is most likely tuned into Google's device constantly communicating to its servers about my existence and whatnot.

I have no witnessed a change from GS3 to Lumia 920, so i would say you shouldnt expect a major change from 8X to 920. my 2 cents.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that definitely helps. How does your call quality compare with the 8X? I'm about 80% certain ill go with the 920. One issue for me (because I had a crappy phone for a long time) is call quality. The 8x never gave me any problems. Everyone sounded clear and said I was as well. I have seen some reports of poor call quality. Is that just hit and miss? limited to early production or not really an issue any more after a few updates?

It's been only three full days with the Lumia 920 but I feel the call quality was better with my 8X. I'm using the same carrier (Telcel in Mexico) with both but the 920 has LTE and Telcel is just in the middle of deployment. The difference in call quality and ear piece volume is huge. The 920 doesn't sound terrible, it's barely enough in my case, but the 8X sounded clear and loud as heck.

With the 8X I had the call volume at 5 or 6. In the 920 I have it at 10! and it doesn't reach the volume levels of the 8X.

The speaker of the 8X is one of the best I've had.

I'm still in the process of adjusting to the 920 after having the 8X since launch, but these "issues" or differences in call quality aside, I'm happy enough and don't regret (hopefully, neve will) changing :)

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
It's been only three full days with the Lumia 920 but I feel the call quality was better with my 8X. I'm using the same carrier (Telcel in Mexico) with both but the 920 has LTE and Telcel is just in the middle of deployment. The difference in call quality and ear piece volume is huge. The 920 doesn't sound terrible, it's barely enough in my case, but the 8X sounded clear and loud as heck.

With the 8X I had the call volume at 5 or 6. In the 920 I have it at 10! and it doesn't reach the volume levels of the 8X.

The speaker of the 8X is one of the best I've had.

I'm still in the process of adjusting to the 920 after having the 8X since launch, but these "issues" or differences in call quality aside, I'm happy enough and don't regret (hopefully, neve will) changing :)

Strange. On my 8X the call volume was always 10! On 920 now it is 7. The only one thing I hate in 920 is very very low vibration, compared to 8X! :( Someone told me that first versions of 920 had good vibration, but people complained about it and Nokia lowered it. What a strange decision!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium