iPhone 5 to GS4 to LUMIA 928!

graffia274

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello WP people!

Here's my (very abbreviated) story. I like phones. I went from iPhone 4S to GS3 to iPhone 5 to GS4. I never felt at home on Android or iOS. I always liked the new feature that the other OS was touting, but never the one that I had. I went to the store and picked up my GS4. I had never felt less excited in my life about a new phone. I had tried for weeks to work myself up about how great the GS4 would be and how great a return to Android would be. It wasn't happening. As I looked down at my hand holding a cheap feeling, highly touted, lagging device (GS4) I decided enough was enough. I returned the device, and against everything any Verizon employee had told me, I decided to say F it. I'm getting a Windows phone.

Let me just say, I AM HOME NOW. I LOVE the WP and am upset I did not realize sooner. Between the beautiful screen, the simplicity and minimalism, the swift/slick/smoothness of the OS, the dedicated camera button, the live tiles, the sounds (I love the WP sounds for whatever reason), and how it is plastic yet doesn't feel cheap...I finally realized I'M A WP GUY. I feel like if WP had the same amount of apps as iOS and Android, it would be doing some serious damage.

While I am somewhat upset at the fact that Verizon seems to disregard WP, I secretly kind of like that I'm finally happy with something not many others appreciate (other than those at WPCentral! :smile:). I realize there are other threads similar to this one, but thought I would add to the positivity as a new convert to Windows Phone Wonderland.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. And welcome to Windows Phone. Truth be told the fanbase for this OS is not very large-- but I generally tend to place more value into what fellow wpcentral forum goers say than that seen on IOS or android. This, coming from someone that still intermittently uses an android device. I love windows phone for the security it promises, the general build quality (windows phone IS nokia, and nokia hardware = best in my book), and the general willingness for the windows community to help one another.

App choices are painfully limited~ but those which I have found and used are very polished. I also enjoy the live tiles quite a bit, as well as data sense!

8XSD

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the light side! Apps will be coming, u just wont find say.....7 fart sound apps in the store but surely enough good apps are rolling in.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome. Now that you've joined WP, your membership is eternal. Meaning that if you leave WP, we will hunt you down.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Two trending positive introduction threads in one day. I have never been happier.

Anyway, welcome! You'll have a great time. And, well, you already are!

wayne310

May 13, 2013
Visit site
WP8 offers the best of iOS and Android...fluidity and customizability.

other than that, Nokia's hardware has really produced the best built quality and performance in a phone.

i cannot imagine using any other phone

Hafiz Imtiaz

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I am a phone enthusiast as well. My first smartphone was SE Xperia mini pro. There is no wrong in saying that "I loved it". After all, it was my first smartphone and by no way, it was bad. After a while Sony pushed the ICS update to all of its Xperia 2011 (well, except the Xperia play) phones and screwed most of them. Frequent hangs, consistent lags, battery drain and many more issues. I flashed back to GB, which was more stable and smooth. Soon, Play Store apps were becoming more ICS (or JB) friendly and I have been forced to move to ICS again and try to live with all the problems. To make things worse, Sony announced that they will not update their Xperia 2011 line phones to JB. It was a shame as their very very low end Xperia J was eligible to get JB update, which is THE MOST terrible (smart?)phone I have ever seen. I was disheartened because I thought that Sony is going to fix all the ICS related problems with a JB update.

I decided that my next phone should be something that will get direct OS support from the OS vendor. A few phones matched that category - iPhone 4S/5, Nexus 4 or Lumia. I have to admit that iPhone 4S or 5 are incredible devices, with the smoothness, premium build and OS optimization with hardware. But iPhone is too pricy for me to afford. Next, the Nexus 4. It has the advantage of getting OS updates directly from Google, but its too big for my choice. Moreover, Android OS and apps do not have the coherent look that is offered by iOS or WP. So I decided to get myself a Lumia 620. Sure, everyone is going for Lumia 920 and it is a very very good device with its OIS and great build. But to me, Lumia 620 offers the greatest bang-for-buck. It has an impressive build too, a very nice camera for everyday point-and-shoot, offers an expandable storage and removable battery. A removable battery is important to me as I tend to brick my phones too often (trying to flash or something else). All in all, I am very happy with my Lumia 620.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett