Nokia Lumia 720 : Hardware buttons working automatically.

Rbose

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

I purchased a beautiful Nokia lumia 720 about a month back. Fell in love with this phone after using it. But now the phone started to behave abruptly. While using any of the application or even viewing my photo gallery the following events happen -
1. automatically all applications are getting closed, start screen appears
2. Start screen then minimizes ( similar to the way if we have pressed and hold the back button),
3. Start screen then maximizes and after that 'bing' opens up automatically.
In all the above steps, phone also vibrates.

Originally thought it might be a SIM problem as was using a GPRS SIM and it was cut by the dealer at the time of purchase.

Without putting the SIM, used the phone, but getting the same issues. So, guess we can conclude not a problem with the SIM.

Resetted the phone and used without putting the SIm, but still getting the issue.

Observed carefully and I think, it's basically doing the operations for the three capacitive buttons even if we nothing has been touched [Doing Fast app switching, pressing the back button, opening the bing ]

Took it to customer support and the executive told me to first take a back up. When told him that i have mapped using 'Outlook' account, he said, back up could be taken only through 'Hotmail' account. Outlook cannot take a back up ... From this reply, got the idea of how much the NOkia care executive knows about WP8

Heart broken as its my first smartphone. Don't know wat to do :-( . Need help

Last edited:

Bear 1959

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 720

How can I stop this irritating phone from dialling numbers when in my pocket ?? Its getting so frustrating now.......

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
There was a similar issue with the Lumia 900 a while back where the speaker magnet interfered with the capacitive buttons causing odd behaviour. I've read of some other 720 users reporting a similar problem to yours too. Your only option then is to get the phone booked in for repair.

Waqas Ahmed21

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
This is not hardware problem this happen only due to High Sensitive Touch.Same thing happened with my Lumia 720 but I fixed it, you can also fix it by just following these steps.
1- Goto Setting
2-then Select Display+Touch
3- and from here just Set TOUCH SENSITIVITY to Normal
That's it you fix your problem.

Rbose

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Waqas,
Thank you fr you feedback. Changed the settings as you mentioned and not getting the problem now during my initial run. But wanted to know whether the issue is present for you if you turn the TOuch sensitivity to 'High'. If 'so' then i guess it's a problem with the phone right ?
Couple of my friends have the same device and none are having this issue. Both of them are using 'Touch Sensitivity configured as 'High'

eliakel

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I also have the same problem and nobody could help me resolve it.
I will immediately change the sensitivity settings

rimahazmah87

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have the same problem last week and I've been resetting the Touch Sensitivity to Normal. But then this week the same problem happened again while my setting is still in Normal mode. :cry:
I really hope Nokia will release an update regarding this issue if it is a software problem.

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Driving me nuts!!! Sometimes it is okay for a while and then others it acts up constantly. Restarts are no help. Sensitivity settings don't matter. What I have recently found...through a bit of anger...is a good open hand smack on the face of the phone stops it from happening. I have a newer 920 that has never even been dropped but has been doing this on and off for 6 weeks or more. At first I thought the screen was greasy and that caused it but that is not the case. Also, if some phones are completely unaffected I think it's time to call At&t warranty and get a replacement.

rimahazmah87

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've found a solution to my problem and it may sound simple yet effective. I peeled the lower edge of my screen protector and my phone works normal again. I suspected the protector is too thick and adhesive so the buttons confusing it as a 'touch' (proof that the touchscreen is really sensitive). :smile:

So for those who have the same problem like me and also have a screen protector, you just remove the protector and replace it with a better quality one or do not use it at all.

latempete

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
No screen protector here. And I made sure my screen was perfectly clean. It doesn't matter anymore though.. AT&T shipped my replacement phone yesterday. Btw, it just started again, I smacked it, and it stopped. Not even a very hard smack but I am not doing that all the time with a 3 month old phone. FYI, I have never dropped this phone either so something is up from manufacturing. The speaker magnet sounds like a possibility. Tried the touch screen sensitivity too but that didn't help. Although, leaving the touch screen on normal is not a real fix in my book.

maheshkumarmrd

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
hey my display+touch is not working, if i press that option it comes back to currrent page after 2 sec. I really wondering since I bought this phone 2days back only. please suggest something

Konark Raj Khokhar

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey the same problem has taken over my lumia 720, it is really irritating. i mean its been only 3 days since i bought this phone and it is acting so weirdly. so will the change in settings solve my problem permanently. today it even switched off automatically itself. please do reply!

Rbose

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi.. Change the display settings to normal and it should work. If not, then, guess u need to contact the Nokia Care store immediately.

KUMAR MAYANK VIPAL

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
me too having the same problem......mine starts vibrating with bing homescreen coming and going...it repeats every 4-5 hours now getting a bit irritated....i got my software update too..

Rbose

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Change the 'Touch' settings to 'Normal' and check if the problem appears. If so, then need to submit it to Nokia Care ( they will change the hardware buttons and it will take around 14 days.)

bijendra

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just in 72hrs Lumia 720 is dead !!
I plugged in the charger yesterday and its boom. There were atleast 5 people at Nokia care for similar or different issuses with Lumia 720.
However they refused to replace the device after a lot of argument. Then I went to the shop from where I bought it as he promised me to replace it with in 5 days.
Now, waiting for the new device. As it comes I am going to sell it to the shop owner or in OLx.
I bought this phone with a lot of expections from NOKIA and TRUST for quality. I am DONE !! They don't deserve it.

Good bye MS and NOKIA

Rbose

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Got my phone after 2 weeks delay. Nokia care people have not told what was done to the phone, but they are saying, issue will not be there hereafter.
Have been using the phone for 4 days and till now there is no problem.

Only 1 issue, every time i switch off and then restart, getting a "Temporary SIM error " occured. DOn't know why .. ANy one knows about this ?

joel7789

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
same issue,

i've tried soft reset, hard reset.. it didn't solve the problem.
then, i removed the case and the screen protector.. but still no changes, the result: my phone is completely naked.
then i changed the touch sensitivity level to normal,, but still persist

after that i smacked my phone everytime the problem occurs.
and now,,my Lumia 720 is being a good boy except when i set the touch sensitivity level to 'high'

*true story

abulumia

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I too had jumping between screens, app switcher screen freezing, and touch not responding issues in "high" and "normal" sensitivity on my Lumia 720. I was too irritated and unintentionally smacked the display two days ago, and believe me, since then no jumping or app switcher screen, or freezing in "normal" sensitivity. However, jumping between screen problem persists in "high" sensitivity. Now am sure it is hardware issue, but not software related. Not submitted to Nokia Care yet as they need 15 days to get it correct. Will give it soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss